Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Best satellite tracking software

Steve - K5FR
Steve - K5FR Member ✭✭
I'm considering using my EME array to track satellites and was wondering which software you serious satellite guys are using. I've researched Nova and SatPC32 and it looks like Nova would be the best choice, but wanted to get a consensus of opinions . I'm using a Yaesu 5500 AZ/EL rotor and GS232B interface.

Answers

• Rick
    Rick Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I'd go with SatPC32. Nova I think is a much older piece of software. Most of us on the satellites use SatPC32. There are 2 really goo articles concerning the use of this software with Flex radios about to come out in the next issue of the AMSAT Journal. Have fun! 73 Rick, W2JAZ
  • Steve - K5FR
    Steve - K5FR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Thanks Rick, I'll check out SatPC32 further.
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Second for SatPC32.. hands down the best out there I've found
  • Steve - K5FR
    Steve - K5FR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I'm also looking for an RF change-over relay like Salvador showed in his drawing that's capable of 70 - 100 watts.
  • Steve - K5FR
    Steve - K5FR Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Thanks David!
  • Alan WA4SCA
    Alan WA4SCA Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Steve,

SatPC32 is used by the AMSAT-NA command stations for its reliability and performance.  The interface is a bit dated, but its performance is not!

Note that you can download a free test version.  Fully functional, except you will need to enter your QTH position on each start.

73s,

Alan
    WA4SCA

• dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    FYI.. Avoid HRD, not that it's bad just not good.. it does not handle linear inverting SATS correctly, others are fine.. I found a little latency with frequency changes.. this is with a ICOM-9100
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
     I prefer Nova for Windows.  It has excellent graphics.
  • Rick
    Rick Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    As for RF relays check out Henry Radio.
    Rick, W2JAZ
  • Rick
    Rick Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I couldn't agree more. 
    Rick
  • Rick
    Rick Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The other nice thing about SatPC32 which is important if you plan to use the Flex with a 2nd radio for uplink is that SatPC32 supports the control of 2 radios simultaneously. In this case Radio 1 in the setup screen is always the downlink and Radio 2 the uplink. Rick
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    So hate to bring up an old thread but have discovered something about HRD. I was using HRD's radio control but switched to DDutil and set up HRD to use it for radio control. This cleans up the lag when tracking a satellite as well as allows me to track both TX and RX in separate slices as well as use a new rotor to auto track and turn some new antennas I have coming, just testing now. Now the question is I'm trying to get the same thing to work under satpc32 I just can't seem to get satpc32 to track both RX and TX with 2 slices A and B... has anyone been able to accomplish this? If so how did you setup the radio or radios in satpc32? Thanks David KK4QOE
  • Rick
    Rick Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings but it's mu understanding this won't work. This is why I use two radios or transverters to get around this. 
    Rick, W2JAZ
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Not sure I understand, I have 2 transverters.. I'm just looking to see if it's possible for satpc32 to control 2 slices at the same time regardless of frequency.
  • Rick
    Rick Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I believe so....write to W5RKN or W0DHB and they'll fix you up. 
    Rick
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I use SatPC32 without issue with my 6700, SatPC32 driving 2 separated slices as two separated radios -> two COM ports in CATssdr
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Thanks... I got it.. not sure why it didn't work the last time I tried but it's working now
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    So David, here looks like:

take it easy, should work well
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Thanks again... got my rotor setup and testing (G-450A), transverters are working great on the egg **** antenna's but replacing them with the leo 2 pack from M2..

just getting my ducks all in a row when everything gets here.. one step at a time

What antenna antenna's are you using?  Do you think I will need the preamps (I have 2 ar2 preamps I wasam using with the egg beaters)?

Thanks

David
    KK4QOE
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Great David!  well i also use Leo Pack from M2 + G5500 + tracker from AMSAT but both Ant's with preamps:  http://www.ssb.de/amplifiers/preamplifier/vox/more-500w/remote-power1  
    why over 500watts - simple reason such preamp more protected from static or lightening and compensate losses in my long cables (over 40meters) 
  • Peter Wilson
    Peter Wilson Member
    edited April 2019
    Hi All, I have had no success syncing the G-5500 (AZ/EL) rotator and GS-232B using SatPC32 with the TS2000 to track Leo's. 
    Am I missing a software patch between the GS232B and the PC or would Satpc32 have that incorporated and have I missed a step in the set up of SatPC32? 
    I would be grateful for help.  
    73's Peter VK3BZF

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.