Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Best PC for use with Flex 6700

Options
Bob  -  N7RJN
Bob - N7RJN Member
edited February 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I am just about ready to order a FLEX-6700.  I am looking for recommendations on a good PC for running the 6700, that will also support use of two separate monitors.

73,  Bob - N7RJN

Answers

• Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Bob, I sell custom-made computers where every part is chosen for optimal usage in Software-defined Radios. I also install and configure any programs you life so that you only have to unbox and turn on your computer to start enjoying your new radio!

http://www.abrohamnealsoftware.com/products.php

If you wait a few minutes, you can see our Easter sale prices!

• Gene - K3GC
    Gene - K3GC Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Congrats Bob,
    I hope you enjoy your 6700 as much as I do mine.
    I am running an i7-4790 processor, 8gigs ram, and an AMD R7 260X and an AMD 4670 video.  I have four monitors running my 6700 , logger (Logic 9) and various email, browser and other programs. I do have an 850w psu.
    All this doesn't even make the system break sweat :)
    Gene K3GC
  • Bob  -  N7RJN
    Bob - N7RJN Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Gene,

Sounds like you built your own PC. What mother board are you using?

Thanks,

Bob - N7RJN
  • Bob  -  N7RJN
    Bob - N7RJN Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Neal,

Thank you. I will check out your web site.

Bob - N7RJN
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Look at gaming PC's.  They usually have fast processors, lots of memory, and nice videocards that natively support multi-monitor.  Hard to say which model, as people have very personal taste.  But any modern gaming PC should be sufficient. 

But with that said, smartsdr runs fine on my 189 dollar AMD fan-less netbook.  Buy the best you can afford I guess.

• Gene - K3GC
    Gene - K3GC Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    it is a gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H and yes it is a homebrew with a pair of 240gig Samsung SSDs.
    Kicks **** :)
  • Mark Erbaugh
    Mark Erbaugh Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Options
    The difference between the 5000 series and the 6000 series is that most of the processing in the 6000 series is done in the radio, rather than the computer, thus the computer requirements are not so demanding for the 6000 series. I am running Windows 7 on a AMD Phenom Quad-Core 2.4 GHz with 4 gB of RAM. It has a NVIDIA graphics chard with a GeForce 8400 processor. It is driving two 1920 by 1280 monitors, one connected to the DVI port, one to the VGA port. I think having a dedicated graphics processor is more important that a faster main processor. This was a computer I had for another purpose, not one bought for the Flex, but it works fine. I am usually running other software while running the Flex, such as checking email or the web while participating in a net.

If you have a spare computer, I'd try that before buying a new one.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Options
    "The difference between the 5000 series and the 6000 series is that most of the processing in the 6000 series is done in the radio, rather than the computer, thus the computer requirements are not so demanding for the 6000 series."

That isn't entirely correct.  We do not do any DSP or other signal processing in SmartSDR - it is all done in the radio.  We are however streaming audio, both DAX and with the release of SmartSDR v1.4, remote audio from the radio through the PC.  We do not do any DSP processing of that streamed audio in the client software, but we do have to shuffle it through the Windows sound system, so real time bitstream processing happening, therefore DPCs are a concern.

The generalization that the PC requirements are less demanding that for a 5000 is also not entirely correct either.  The subsystems that are utilized most are different; SmartSDR is graphics, threading and RAM centric, whereas PowerSDR is more IO throughput centric.  We are finding that the basic hardware requirements from a CPU standpoint are about the same.  

However, you are absolutely correct in your statement that having a decent graphics card is more important on a SmartSDR system than PowerSDR.  SmartSDR uses the hardware acceleration capabilities of the GPU whereas PowerSDR does not.

And the advice to try out what you have first before buying a new PC is very sound advice.  A "honking fast" i7 machine isn't necessary, but having the additional headroom it affords is nice to have.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    If you have any Dell purchased in the last few years that should do just fine. I agree with Mark on the 4GB although I don't believe Dell even sells PCs now with less than 8GB. I wouldn't get all **** on the video card. I haven't seen a desktop model where you couldn't very easily replace the video should it prove to be an issue. Having said all that, should you end up going full bore with SSDR, HRD, CWSkimmer, SDR-Bridge etc, maybe look to 8GB, again, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a recent PC with less than 8GB but with all that runing you will find you'll need 2 perhaps 3 monitors which means a minimum of one dual head video cards . The video card(s) should have good video memory. For two monitors you might want to find a dual head card with 1GB of video memory.Good video cards are WAY less expensive than a new PC.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.