Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Best Logging Software for Flex 6xxx

Dave
Dave Member ✭✭
I am currently an HRD user and am curious what people use for logging?  I have no issues paying for HRD but it seems there has not been alot of feature updates that are valuable to me.  Really looking for software that has modern UI and features such as the ability to auto upload log entries to the major sites such as HRDLog/e-qsl/LOTW. Cross platform even better! Windows/Mac.  Thoughts? 

Answers

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Unfortunately there appear to be few cross-platform logging solutions. I just log everything to my Mac using MacLoggerDx. There are also a few for Linux, but again, other than CQRLog, I do not like them - and CQRLog is Linux-only. And I do not contest, so I don’t need those loggers. Maybe Mark can make FlexLogger (or whatever it will eventually be called) crosss-platform :-)
  • Jean_Luc F5JRC
    Jean_Luc F5JRC Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    On PC Log4Om, N1MM, N3FJP, DXLab are excellent, and sorry for those I forget, but if you're lucky enough to be on Mac, MacLoggerDX is absolutely fantastic!
    My humble opinion!
    (for now using iMac 27" with Parallels Desktop, W10 family, SmartSDR and MacLoggerDX).
    The management of LoTW and others online logs is super easy.
  • Phil N3ZP
    Phil N3ZP Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I have been using N3FJP ACLog for many years. I works well with my Flex 6400 and tracks frequency and mode from a comport. It interfaces with Winkeyer for CW. I does have the ability to upload entries to LOTW and EQSL. It can also download from LOTW to mark QSOs as confirmed. It's very intuitive to use. I have also used his contest software. The contest software does not have all the features of N1MM+ but it is much simpler to use. You can order the CD of all his programs and have all the contest programs and get updates when released. 
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I hear Mark has been doing great work on his Flexloger software,,nice thing about it is that it is made For flex users.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I doubt that FlexLogger (soon to be renamed) could run natively on Mac any time soon.  However, I expect it could and might work under something like Wine and for sure Virtual Box.

I have not tested it under these yet but the program really only needs a network connection to function.  Everything else is pretty much rolled in.

M - WS7M
  • Gene Duprey
    Gene Duprey Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Now if it was only Mac compatible also.

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Only network required would make connectivity to the radio rather trivial. The rest depends on the tools used to provide the database and user interface, doesn’t it. If it will run easily under Wine (really dependent on Windows APIs / libraries used) that’s great for Mac or Linux. Of course VirtualBox is a pretty complete Windows solution on almost any platform. No library issues of any kind, just need a copy of Windows :-) Licenses are apparently available at a good price (read: really cheap).
  • Roger_W6VZV
    Roger_W6VZV Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I use the HRD logbook, which I really like, and I use JT-Alert to port over my WSJT-X contacts from WSJT-X to the HRD logbook.  Works really well.

de Roger W6VZV
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Regarding N3FJP, I have interfaced with Scott for many years, and he is a joy to work with. A First Class guy. 
  • Bill English
    Bill English Member
    edited January 2020
    I have used Winlog32 since 2001 and have over 70K QSO's in it. Very nice program. I cannot find another logger with the same features and ease of operation. Although Flexlogger is well on the way to matching it. 
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Ted,

Again I have not tested it but the APIs are mostly based around .NET 4.7.2 and the database is SQLite which is mostly included under .Net 472.

I will at some point give it a try.  I do know for a fact it works just fine in VirtualBox with a minimal windows installation and in my test with VirtualBox I had no issue connecting to the radio.

But WINE is worth a shot.  It is just a matter of time.
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Hi Mark. Would you use Mono to run the .Net stuff, or do you need Wine actually load (the right version of) .Net? I guess the Wine folks would object to using a VM, and the Windows folks would find Wine cumbersome :-( I find VirtualBox to be an excellent solution, although fighting with ALSA for audio can be a challenge.
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    DXLab's DXkeeper though pretty complected to set up is a very good logger and reports to EQSL and LOTW

Flex Logger looks very promising and if I remember right uploads to LOTW.
    73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

• W9HH - Steve
    W9HH - Steve Member
    edited March 2019

I’ve used most of the logging packages mentioned here already, but my favorite for use with the 6400 is the DXLabs suite. It has tons of features along with e-QSL / LOTW submission. It will also put DX spots on the pan adapter and does a good job of interfacing with the flex radio in general. I would say that it does pretty much everything you could expect a logging package to do. This is a highly configurable suite of programs. if you can think of it, you can probably do it. On the flip side, the interface is not what I would consider modern and there is a good learning curve, but its worth the effort. Is DXLabs the perfect logger? No it’s not. The perfect logging program doesn’t exist, but for free it’s certainly worth a try to see if it works out for you.

For field day logging, my vote goes to N3FJP. It’s quick to setup, easy to use and works on just about any old windows computer that you have lying around.

Both DXLabs and N3FJP are updated on a regular basis by their authors.

73 –

Steve W9HH
  • K9SO
    K9SO Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I use TRX-Manager. Supports all FlexRadio features

Fred
    K9SO
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Scott is a good guy and his software is very good and the price is extremely reasonable.

• szawrotny
    szawrotny Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I agree. N3FJP’s ACLog is much more intuitive than HRD. You buy once and get life-time support and updates, not like HRD. I won a copy of HRD and tried it. I was using another logger at the time. I got so frustrated with it that I gave up and bought ACLog.
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I keep an eye on Flexlogger, but my primary log is LogHX - it is free, updated frequently, author available almost every day on the forum. I wish it could do a multiply slices (it may come some time later), but otherwise it is perfect. And I was on many other logs before.
    Sergey, KN7K
  • Lionel
    Lionel Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    DXLab does a fine job. Been using for ten years or so.
  • Dave
    Dave Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Thanks everyone!  There has been alot of buzz about Flexlogger.  Anyplace to download this?  Does not seem like an official product yet.  
  • Dave AA6YQ
    Dave AA6YQ Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020

For DXers, describing DXLab as providing excellent logging would be like describing a Corvette as providing excellent steering. Yes, excellent logging is essential, and DXLab automates the procedures involved in logging QSOs, confirming QSOs, and managing award credit -  enabling you to spend more time DXing. But for the DXer, excellent logging is far from sufficient.

What distinguishes DXLab from all other applications that claim to support DXing is the database of currently-active stations it maintains in real time, and its ability to immediately recognize whether an active station is “needed” for one or more of the awards that you are pursuing: DXCC, IOTA, Leaderboard, Marathon, VUCC, WAS, WAZ and WPX – taking into account the bands and modes on which you are pursuing each award.

The database of active stations is continuously populated from up to 7 sources: DX Clusters, DX Summit, the Reverse Beacon Network, CW Skimmer, and WSJT-X. Multiple independently filterable views of active DX stations are provided – tabular with a row for each active station, on a world map, in a vertical bandspread, and on a SmartSDR panadapter – all color coded to highlight stations with whom a QSO would advance your progress towards the awards you are pursuing, and to indicate participation in LoTW and eQSL.

DXLab also includes both propagation prediction and propagation monitoring, identifying band openings between your QTH and needed stations, and characterizing each active station by the probability that you can work it via the short path or long path.

Using your Flex for DXing? Try DXLab; it's entirely free.

Using WSJT-X? DXLab interoperates with it directly, color-coding decoded callsigns to indicate both "award need" and participation in LoTW and eQSL:

• Chuck Sinclair
    edited March 2019
    I use HRD and love it.
  • Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    HRD .. for me too! Tried a lot of other programs. Keep coming back to HRD  :) 

It's main log for my SE3X station. For contest logging we use N1MM. 

• AC9S
    AC9S Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I have been using Logic for years.  With the exception of integration with FT8 it pretty much does everything - logging, awards tracking, reporting, QSL generation, color coded spots, etc.

Keith - AC9S
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited March 2019
    In addition, excellent documentation, excellent developer and community support, very responsive to bug fixes, consideration and conversation for feature requests. It's a natural for DXing and perfect for general use.
  • W5AP
    W5AP Member
    edited March 2019
    I also use Logic 9 and have been doing so for years. I'm also using DX Labs which is great. I find I can upload Logic 9 to Lotw easily and I haven't figured out how to easily upload DXKeeper to LoTW without first exporting the ADIF file and using TQsl or Logic.  So I need to find and read the documentation for DX Labs.  When I figure it out or find some time, I'll be using DX Labs DXKeeper all the time..73, Jim - W5AP
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Hi Dave,

FlexLogger is still being developed.  Its name will be changing.  You can download the current version here:

http://www.ws7m.net/flinstallers/FlexLoggerSetup-0.1.0.5.exe

The renamed version is about 1-2 weeks out.  It will feature an alert system that you can configure to alert you on just about anything you need or want to track:

• AC9S
    AC9S Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Sounds good - Maybe I'll check out DX Labs this summer when things get noisy here in Illinois.

Keith - AC9S
  • Dave AA6YQ
    Dave AA6YQ Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    We share the same motivation, Mark; I'd be happy to work with you and Don. The more value we can provide to the user community, the better.

Dave, AA6YQ

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.