Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Behringer CMD Micro - MIDI Controller

Roy Finch
Roy Finch Member
Hi there is the Behringer CMD Micro - MIDI Controller in the SmartSDR for iOS Tools manual the same as the only one I can find which is Behringer CMD Micro DJ Controller. If so are they any good?

Answers

• Web Site
    Web Site Member
    edited June 2017
    Hi Roy,

yes, that's the same controller and it will work with my App.

In order for it to work, you need the Apple USB 3.0 camera connection kit.

Whether or not it is good, maybe other HAM fellows might want to tell.

Marcus, DL8MRE

• Roy Finch
    Roy Finch Member
    edited June 2017
    Thank you for putting me straight
  • Paul Burton
    Paul Burton Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Roy,

I did a small Behringer CMD Micro Midi application for Windows PC using Flexlib.  I currently don't use any Apple devices so can't comment on that implementation, but I can give a couple of general remarks about use of the CMD Micro for Flex control. 

First, I find the use of the large tuning knobs on the CMD Micro to be a problem, as if you try to spin the knobs too fast it will overload the system with interrupts and the tuning will be jerky or stop.  I much prefer the Flex Control for frequency tuning as it works directly with the radio and is very smooth.  Perhaps my  implentation needs more work to make the tuning better.

Specific implementations using the CMD Micro  will satisfy certain users but others may wish a different assignment of knobs/buttons/sliders to the Flex controls.  A CW op would prefer a different setup to a SSB op.  It would be impossible to satisfy everyone with the limited number of controls. 

I find that there are not enough knobs/buttons/sliders on the CMD Micro to work well with more than one panafall and two slices.  Those with more capable radios may wish for more controls, so a more sophisticated MIDI controller would be appropriate.  I just have a 6300 so it's no problem.

Beyond that, I find the CMD Micro to work well for my purposes, and use it whenever I'm on the air.  I hope these comments help, but it is just my perspective.

Paul
  • Roy Finch
    Roy Finch Member
    edited June 2017
    ThanksPaul great help
  • Roy Finch
    Roy Finch Member
    edited June 2017
    Can someone confirm the apple camera kit is the Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter In the Apple Store.
  • Roy Finch
    Roy Finch Member
    edited June 2017
    Hi just tried to order the Behringer CMD Micro DJ Controller and got this back, 

I am writing in reference to the above order as the following item has been discontinued, therefore we are unable to fulfil the balance of you order and are unable to offer an alternative on this occasion.

is there an alternative that can be used?

Thanks

Roy

• MH_Flexer
    MH_Flexer Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I have a new unit, never used. I don't have the original packaging but the unit is new.
  • Roy Finch
    Roy Finch Member
    edited June 2017
    Are you US or U.K. Based. I am in the U.K?
  • MH_Flexer
    MH_Flexer Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I have a new unit, never used. I don't have the original packaging but the unit is new.
  • MH_Flexer
    MH_Flexer Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I am USA based, shipping costs are quite high between us
  • Roy Finch
    Roy Finch Member
    edited June 2017
    Yes, thank you for the offer but I think I have just found one over here.
  • ThisUserDoesNotExist
    ThisUserDoesNotExist Company Adviser ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Knobs, Sliders etc. can be re-assigned using my App.

For details (also regarding the Adapter) please have a look to the Manual which is also available online:

http://go-to.me/smartsdr-tools-manual

The Behringer CMD micro is still available in the US via Amazon.

Marcus, DL8MRE

• Paul Burton
    Paul Burton Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Yes, I'm sure it works well, but I don't have an i-anything so it won't work for me.  I could fairly easily add assignable knobs, sliders, and buttons to my app, but somewhat lost interest in continuing with the app.  I'm sure I'll get back to it as I use it lots. 

One question - how do you control the tuning function to prevent the user from turning the tuning knob too fast.  In Windows, it overloads the system with interrupts and everything pauses momentarily.  Any hints?

Paul - AA6Z
  • ThisUserDoesNotExist
    edited June 2017
    Paul, I think these are the things that work a bit smoother and seamlessly on i-anything devices. As the CMD Micro uses MIDI and as MIDI is part of the OS (iOS) this might be the reason why I don't have the issues you were describing.

Thank you.

Marcus, DL8MRE
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Marcus, do have a recommendation for an inexpensive iPad Lightning-to-USB adapter? The one made by Apple is pretty expensive....
  • ThisUserDoesNotExist
    edited June 2017
    Hi Ken,

the only one I can recommend is indeed the one from Apple. I have tested a few others (inexpensive and expensive) and all of them had issues.

The main problem here is, that you need an adapter that either provides USB AND the option to power the USB device.

Even though the Behringer CMD Micro has batteries and the manual states that the reason for the Batteries is to power the Behringer CMD Micro it turns out that this is not true. The Behringer CMD Micro still needs power over USB.

Marcus
  • Paul Staupe
    Paul Staupe Member
    edited March 2018
    Marcus,

As the Behringer CMD Micro-Midi controller is no longer available, I purchased an Apple I-Pad to Lightning adapter and the current version Behringer Studio 2A from Amazon.  Unfortunately, although the Studio 2A lights up when directly attached to the PC, it does not when attached to the Lightning adapter, so I'm assuming it won't work.  Can you point us to another alternative controller?

Paul W0AD
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    How about trying a powered USB hub between the iPad and the midi device? The iPad does not provide much power, and USB devices will negotiate that. If you have one on hand, it won't cost anything to try. 73 Ted VE3TRQ
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    The adapter I have has a short cord with lightning connector that attaches to the iPad, and then there are two ports on the other end - one for the USB cable, the other for the charger cord.

When using the lightning adapter, it is necessary to also plug in the charger cord to the other port in the adapter in order to provide enough current to power the MIDI device.
  • Paul Staupe
    Paul Staupe Member
    edited March 2018
    Thanks Ted, Ken, 

I've got the same lightning adapter that Ken has.  When I installed it yesterday, it updated its configuration for about 5 minutes.  Plugged it in to the charger, the iPad and then the Behringer 2A,  The controller briefly lit, but then went dark.

Today,   I followed Ted's advice and purchased a powered USB 2.0  hub (or should I have bought a USB 3.0 hub?)  so I'll test it this evening.   It would be helpful if Marcus checked out current MIDI models and made recommendations, there are no more CMD-Micro controllers available any more. 

73,  Paul W0AD
  • Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭

I have a CMD micro controller and it worked great on win 7. . We moved to Florida and in the process the computer was made inoperable and I have not been able to find the program. I know the party that did the program has become a silent key. Has anyone got the program that I can get it from?

i had s party send me the program two years ago but my wife had major health issues and now we want to get back on the air and I really loved the Micro CMD ! Can anyone help me? My email is ([email protected])

thank you.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.