Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Behringer CMD Micro DJ Midi Controller for use with Flex 6000

Comments

• Bob W7KWS
    Bob W7KWS Member
    edited July 2015
    Hi Ken,

Thanks!  You are probably right and I will look again for the umpteenth time.

The problem is that my brain has been wired in reverse from the 1970s and the days of the Intel 4040 and later the 8048 & 8085 when I was doing this stuff for money.  I really didn't have the patience for software back then but I slogged through it as the projects were my responsibility.  Now I'm retired for nearly twenty years and I'm into doing fun stuff and software doesn't seem to qualify.  Therefore my attention span is very short.

Back in the day, bit manipulation took an eternity to write but, when broken down to 8-bits at a time maximum, it became simple for me.  I was really a much better hardware designer.

Somehow, what you describe doesn't flow through my brain's "masked ROM" but I will try once more with your kind encouragement to change it out for a EEPROM.

Bob
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Though I am not a big-time programmer, (I haven't done anything major since the days of GW-Basic!)  The program seems to follow this general outline...

Import already-written processes (I used to call them subroutines);
    define initialize variables;
    open communications channel to the rig;
    open communications channel to the MIDI Device;

Then the constant loop:
      check MIDI Device for input...(Midi Channel, Pitch, Value);
      use IF/Then/Else statements to see which button or control is activated;
      send the proper command to the RIG;
          (depending upon which button or control was activated);
      Increment indexing counters as needed for band/mode/filter/etc.
      set boolean toggles as needed for ON/OFF commands;
      send command to MIDI Device to turn lights ON/OFF;
      update frequency information  on computer (superimposed on the picture);
    go back and wait for another control to be activated and repeat.

It is actually a relatively simple program, once you get it....
    (Simple boolean logic, simple count up/down indexing, sample a channel, compare values, send a command, etc.)  It is simple, but with lots of commands, because there are a lot of functions.  (But getting the VFO counters and all that to work correctly was a challenge, I'm sure.)

William has done excellent work, that I wish I had had the courage to begin two years ago.  He has taken exactly the approach that I knew could be done, but didn't have the familiarity with either MIDI functions, or the Processing or C# languages to do....(i.e. import MIDI codes, look up a corresponding function, and send the command via the API to the Flex rig.)  

This same approach can be used to build other programs to control the rig using on-screen functions, mouse clicks, buttons, etc. using the API, or even using the serial CAT command set on the 6000 series or the CAT commands for the other Flex rigs, or even other brands of rigs.

WIlliam has unlocked some effective tools that may get several of us into programming things for the 6000 series.

• W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Your welcome!
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    wow dude!! awesome !! many many thanks!!

(mine just hit the deck...)
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    I'm in the process of making a Android App to control additional feature.  So far I can discover the radio and control a few functions.  So I have made it over the hurdle.  Once you begin down the path, the options are limitless.

I spent half the day figuring out how to communicate over TCP with native java!  What a pain.  Processing made that simple,  But I figured it out.

Now I need to figure out how to receive in the radio variables.

Now to figure out what I want an android app to do  hmmm!

William
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    YES! Another quality adventure. If there is anything I can do to help, I'm all in.

Bob
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    the 'dual speed' vfo function knob is marvelous !

the tuning step choices are a little fine for me; how do I set it for 10hz, 100 hz, and 10k hz ( for am bcb swl'ing, eg  )?

73, and 'you da man'!!

• Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I use one of these, from Amazon, as a stand for my CMD Controller.  It lets me adjust the angle and place it behind the key board.  It's designed for an iPad and I use another one for my K6TU controller. 
    http://www.amazon.com/Arkon-Folding-Tablet-Stand-Android/dp/B000CKVOOY/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1...

• W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    i use a stick of wood, ha! staying under budget, ya know..

• Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2015

Yeah, but mine gets more girls.  :)
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Dan,

10kh  I have to ask WHY LOL
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    William,

Have you tried Pocket rxtx, free in the Google Play Store?  It's a work in progress but it works pretty well with my Kenwood TS-590 via the Internet. The tuning dial works quite well and it supports a number of rigs.  Dan, the authors, hasn't had time to work on it in some time so some features are incomplete plus a few minor bugs but no deal breakers.

Bob
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Bob,

My Android app will just be a few extra buttons and sliders.  I do not intend or have the skills yet to make a complete android client.  I just want an App that has a few commonly used functions at my fingertips.  It will be used as a supplement for additional controls to the CMD Micro. 

After using the Micro more, there are certain functions I don't like:

1. Band selection - I prefer selecting band vs cycling thru them
    2. Mode selection - Same as above
    3. Micro is missing adjustable filters
    4. NR/NB/ANF levels missing

And a few other wish I hads!

So far I have a android app that does 1,3, and 4.  This app is a just for me thing.  I will happily share it to anyone who is interested when I'm done, But its really not intended to be universal.  Maybe one day, but for now its just a personal project.

William

• Bob W7KWS
    Bob W7KWS Member
    edited July 2015
    Very good William. I guess that skill is relative & you seem pretty good at getting quality results. Thanks again for the Micro. Your skill with that has made The Flex my "goto" rig where before it was just a fun experiment. If you haven't tried Pocket rxtx on your Android device, I recommend it. I can't say that it will do what you mentioned but it's an app that is very useful for remoting a rig via the Internet or USB if you want. Dan, YO3GGX hasn't included the Flex CAT commands but functions are configured in a text file. I modified one of his other Kenwood rig files for my TS-590 with relative ease. Doing the same for the Flex shouldn't be too hard. His WEB site also features a free tcp to COM port interface for your PC or VSPE works as well. The audio isn't implemented yet but I use a free SIP VOIP client or others are using Skype. Bob
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    maybe, but < I > can buy her a drink or two...ha!

• W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    that's the spacing between stations on the am bcb...i like to test my top band rx antennas down there, with some well known sources in specific directions...while i can easily 'see' them in pan / waterfall, at night some skywave prop will bring in some other sigs...
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    gotcha,  Its not exactly an easy change to add new steps, but it can be done.  You would have to sacrifice something.  The jog wheel is so touchy you would also have to add a new slow routine for steps that high.

If its something you really need, I can help you.

William
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    there's prob more important stuff to do...i am SUCH a happy camper w this puppy !!

• W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    OT:  But here is the status of my Android App.  Ignore the funny letter sizing.  This happens in the emulator not on the actual device.

So far I have band switching, xit, rit, mode,  nr/nb/anf with level sliders, RX filter hi/lo.

I still have plenty or real estate left to add more.   This is sized for a 1280x800 screen, and I will not be making this scalable for other resolutions.

• DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Looks like a great app with lots of possibilities. .. 73, Alex DH2ID
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    wow, more fun stuff with my galaxy s-5 ??

what a great time to be alive, huh??

• Bob W7KWS
    Bob W7KWS Member
    edited December 2016
    William,

On the CMD Micro, I've noticed that when I press the "Step" button it works as I'd expect and also changes the step dialog in SmartSDR to the corresponding value.  Then, if I change SmartSDR to 500 Hz, your software remains at 50/250 Hz. steps.

This is great as it gives me three choices without pushing any buttons; 500 Hz. steps (or wherever I've left the SmartSDR setting) using the mouse wheel and 50/250 Hz. on the Micro using the touch sensitive knob. 

I was wondering if there is a way to use the Micro's "Step" button selection without it also changing SmartSDR?  Getting rid of the blinking button in 50/250 Hz. would be a plus if it were easy.

Thanks,

Bob
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Bob,

I can easily remove the step sync with smart SDR, if thats what yall want.  The Micro step sizes are totally independent, so there is no real need to sync them.

The blinking is just to know what step size the micro is in,  Off for 1, on for 10, blink for 50.  This can easily be removed, if SmartSDR step sync is off, how would you know what step size the micro is at?

I know the blinking is a bit annoying, but it gives visual feedback.

William
  • Bob W7KWS
    Bob W7KWS Member
    edited July 2015
    William,

The last thing I want to do is ask you to do any more one-off specials so I can wait to see what others think about these things.  It certainly is not critical.

As far as the blinking light goes, If it has to blink, my preference would be to put it on the 1-Hz mode as I never use that.  I suspect others would prefer it the way it is.

Regarding the blink, is the hardware capable of turning on both colors?  Probably not or you might have done it that way.  The two color mix could indicate the distinction.

Another thought is to use one of the two PTT buttons since you can only transmit on the active slice anyway.

Bob

• Bob W7KWS
    Bob W7KWS Member
    edited July 2015
    By the way William, and again, It's isn't important to me because I use a hand Mic & the PTT on it, but you might find the PTT on the Micro hard to hold down for an entire transmission.  A toggle is the alternate choice but isn't desired in some situations.

Here's the thought.  Another piece of software I use, has a dual mode PTT button and it really works well.  If you push the button quickly, it toggles and stays on until the next push (Toggle).  If you hold it for more than 1/4 of a second it becomes a hold to talk, release to listen.  NICE!

Again, I don't use the PTT and I don't need this, but I thought the idea was worth sharing with you.

Bob
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Larry,

I got an email that you were having issues, but your question got deleted from the thread.  Are you still having issues?

William
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    I have no issues holding down PTT for long periods, But I guess that depends on what you call long.  I am not a ragchewer, most of my contacts are short DX.

I'm not sure enough use the PTT to justify the coding of the complex routine.  But if others would like this, I will look into it.

William
  • Michael - N5TGL
    Michael - N5TGL Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    The dual mode PTT is a pretty neat idea.  I use a footswitch for my PTT, but I do get into some reasonably long ragchews and a locking PTT would be handy.  I've got a commercial grade footswitch and it requires a fair bit of weight to keep it held down.  Works great for contesting and preventing false triggering but not so much for longer transmissions.
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    william:

realize, i'm work cw 97% of the time, on 160m, chasing dxcc new ones. otherwise, cruising am bcb, checking rx antennas.  that said:

The smallest tuning step is just too fine to be useful, after playing with it a few days, IMHO. even with the sharpest cw filter, and APF on, 10 hz is plenty fine with the outer dial ring.  I'd like that to be the smallest step.

for cruising various round-tables on ssb, 100z works good, on the outer ring, with the opportunity to zoom around quickly with the inner dial..

biggest step, 10khz on the inner dial would be perfect for hopping from std channel to channel on USA am bcb, with the outer dial useful for am swl'ing, IMHO.

last, N4LQ showed leaving Main Vol maxed out all the time gives smoother QSK, so I rarely touch it.  any chance the "Main Level" could be switched to keyer speed?

with this, SmartSDR would be darned near mouse-less !!

thanks again for great work !!

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

I deleted that message because I realized it was just my firewall blocking it, thanks.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.