Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

BandInfo ver. 1.07 available ...

Gary L. Robinson
Gary L. Robinson Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in New Ideas
I have created a small client that connects along with SmartSDR that displays band information in a wide rectangular windows that does not have a title bar. It can be positioned by clicking and holding down and dragging it to desired position. It remembers its position when you close it (double-click right mouse button). It comes with a comma separated file that has all the band and license limits for ham bands up to 1.2ghz. It can be modified by the user to add new bands and change the format of the text info it displays. It comes with a README file with more information. If anyone is interested you can find it at my website at : http://www.oliviamode.com/wb8rol_xtra.htm

Comments

• Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Very cool little utility.  Thanks for writing it and sharing it with everyone.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Thanks Gary. I always love to try new apps with useful features!

It does work on the 6700 and I imagine that will also work on the 6500.
    A couple of suggestions
    • I would like the BAR to be narrower so I can place it between "Help" in the top Menu and the "FlexRadio logo".
    • It would be cool if the Font could be the same color as the SmartSDR which looks to me like a white or very light Grey. 
    • And it will match perfectly if you could match the gradient of the SmartSDR bar.

Thanks again!

EDIT: Maybe the Width, Font Color, Size, etc... could be variables in a csv file like the bar content so users could modify to their taste.
  • Gary L. Robinson
    edited September 2016
    Great ideas! Will add them to my list of things to do.
  • RoyS
    RoyS Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Gary,
    Nice little program. Unfortunately, it's not for me and I'll tell you why.
    I am running a 6500. Your program works well but three things bother me.
    1) I use 2 monitors. A 27" and a 19".  I use the 19" for the radio display. On this monitor, the Flex title bar is too short for your window. Your window covers Profiles, Help, REMOTE, and the speaker/earphone switches.
    2) Band edges: Your program does not take into account the transmit band width. If you were relying on your program to flag you when you were near the band edge, you might be tempted to transmit. However, SmartSDR takes into account the bandwidth and you cannot transmit. (so small potatoes).
    3) Once you have placed your window on the Flex title bar, clicking on the Flex window changes the program focus and your window is covered. It can be recovered from the task bar but that is a nuisance I can do without. Your window needs the ability to "stay on top".

I'll continue to watch for your updates with interest.

Roy - W5TKZ     
  • Gary L. Robinson
    edited September 2016
    Actually the code to make it stay on top IS in the program. Interesting that it is NOT doing so on your system. Perhaps the dual monitor has something to do with that. I don't really know what to say about that since it works on all machines I have tried - though none with 2 monitors. The size issue will be taken care of in very near future. The Band edges I don't really consider an issue. Anyhow, thanks for the input Roy. It really does help to get input. ---Gary
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    It stays on top for me.
    Windows 7 64 Bit, Two monitors, using DisplayFusion Pro
  • Gary L. Robinson
    edited September 2016
    Roy,
     I forgot to ask you - what version of Windows are you running?

---Gary WB8ROL
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Very cool. Works great on my 6500. Should be built into the flex.
  • Michael - N5TGL
    Michael - N5TGL Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Agreed.  This was a standard feature on PowerSDR, and has been requested for SmartSDR since the release was public.
  • RoyS
    RoyS Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Gary,

I am running Win 10.

Roy - W5TKZ
  • Gary L. Robinson
    edited September 2016
    Thanks Roy - That's the same version I run for my 6300 and the development environment. I am going to look for an alternative way to make my program stay on top. I am using the built in method for the Form object but there are probably other ways to do it too. ---Gary WB8ROL
  • Paul Bradbeer
    Paul Bradbeer Member
    edited September 2016
    Gary, your application looks very useful. Does it support band limits/licence classes other than those for the USA? Regards Paul M0CVX (and my Texan Extra...AC5NO! )
  • Gary L. Robinson
    edited September 2016
    Paul,

BandInfo gets ALL of it's band limits,classes, etc. from reading a comma separated file (.csv) when it starts up.  The file it reads is freqinfo.csv and it is in the folder where the program is installed.  It can easily be edited with a text editor or spreadsheet program to customize it for any bands and class limitations.

If you have already download it - be sure to read the 'BandInfo ReadMe' file that is also in the install folder - and should be on the Desktop too when it installs.  

If you have NOT installed it yet, you may want to wait until I upload BandInfo 1.08 which should be ready for posting later today or tomorrow.  Version 1.08 adds a settings..csv file which allows customizing BandInfo's size, font color, and font size.

---Gary
  • Paul Bradbeer
    Paul Bradbeer Member
    edited September 2016
    Great! Thanks, Gary.
  • Lee Maisel
    Lee Maisel Member
    edited September 2016
    THANKS GARY!!!!!

An "always on top" option would be great

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.