Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Band Decoder for Flex 6600M?

Al Dewey
Al Dewey Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Has anyone come up with a simple Band Decoder for the 6600M?  Either something that is commercially available or something I could build?  Alternatively, is there a way I can use my two Array Solutions BandMaster Band Decoders?  I will want to drive two of them - one for slice A and one for slice B.  The BandMasters can be drive by four BCD inputs.  Is there a way I can get these signals from the back of the radio?  I'll be at Dayton next week if there is something I could pick up to help with this.   73, Al, K0AD
'

Answers

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    Hi Al You can add USB to BCD cables plugged into the back of the radio to accomplish what you want. More detailed info here http://www.flexradio.com/downloads/usb-cable-interface-guide-pdf/ I will also be at Dayton and volunteering in the Flex booth part time each day. Dave wo2x
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Al,

I use two BandMaster Decoders on TX ANT A and TX ANT B that do exactly what you want. As Dave said in the previous post my settings are shown in the manual he references. I too will be in the Flex Booth part time and can explain and show you how to set this up.

Mack
    W4AX
    Alpha Team
  • W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    The Bandmaster V, and I have two of them, work perfectly with the 6700
  • Al Dewey
    Al Dewey Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Dave - Thanks.  It looks like that would do the trick with my Bandmasters.  Does Flex carry the cables described in this document?  If so, would it be possible to purchase  one at Dayton.  Or can the cables be easily made up from some other type of commercially available cable?
    de....Al, K0AD
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited May 2018
    I think Flex carries them in stock. Mouser and Digi-Key also carry them. Do not buy off Amazon as you risk getting a fake cable which then will not be detected by the Flex radio. Maybe Mack or someone else will chime in with a reliable source and vendor’s part number. Dave wo2x
  • Al Dewey
    Al Dewey Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Thanks all.  Is this the cable I would need from Flex for the BandMaster?

http://cart.flexradio.com/USB-to-Parallel-adapter-for-the-FLEX-6000-series_p_1001.html

Does anyone happen to have a Part Number from DigiKey that would also work?

• W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    For bandmaster C just a USB cable. If you have the older III then I’m not sure
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited May 2018
    Here is the cable W9OY used for BCD info out of the Flex (searched the Community).
    https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/FTDI/C232HM-EDHSL-0/?qs=EB8w3yL7SqPZGmdI8JhrMA%3D%3D 

$26 from Mouser.

Dave wo2x
  • Joel N9LQ
    Joel N9LQ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I bought one of these on Amazon from a company called Emerging Tech Sales for $34.95.

FTDI C232HM-DDHSL-0 , Cable, Assembly; USB-MPSSE(SPI/I2C/Jtag); 3.3V; 250ma Output; 24AWG; 0.5m

I am using it successfully to interface my Flex6600 to an Ameritron remote antenna switch. 

73, Joel N9LQ

• Al Dewey
    Al Dewey Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Thanks for all the help.  I ran into NN4ZZ in the Flex Booth at Dayton and he pointed me to his Web Site where there is a great step by step description of setting up the BandMaster band decoder with the Flex.  Both of my Band Decoders are now working great with my new 6600M.  I configured one for slice A and other for slice B.   73, Al, K0AD
  • Mike
    Mike Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Where is a link to the step by step? I went to nn4zz.com and don't see it

• Mike
    Mike Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    opps I found it

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.