Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

band decoder for 6400 ??

Frank W2YK
Frank W2YK Member
Besides a $380 box from Array Solutions, any other way to get band data from a 6400 for my SixPak??Thanks

Answers

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    You can use a USB bit cble plugged into the back of the radio. http://www.flexradio.com/downloads/usb-cable-interface-guide-pdf/ Dave wo2x
  • Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Or you can use DDUtil and a $30 Denkovi or SainSmart Relay board. Works very nicely!

Craig, KØCF

• Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Or, you can do the $500 solution: the 4O3A Antenna Genius 8x1 Ethernet antenna switch. Very elegant... I have one coming Monday to replace the DDUtil/SainSmart that I am now using. My RATpak will be going up for sale soon.

Craig, KØCF

• Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Or you can use the $24 device: http://www.unifiedmicro.com/decoder.html . Just feed it with a USB to BCD cable from the USB port on the rear of the radio. Details are in the Flex USB guide. A separate computer is not needed.

Mack
    W4AX
    Alpha Team
  • Frank W2YK
    Frank W2YK Member
    edited June 2019
    Thanks to all for the suggestions!  Appreciate the support here.  Frank, W2YK

• Frank W2YK
    Frank W2YK Member
    edited March 2018
    In for a penny, in for a pound!  I'd have to go the 2 x 8 to also accommodate the 1000MP!!  Thanks!

• Frank W2YK
    Frank W2YK Member
    edited March 2018
    Thanks Dave, didn't know there was Band Data directly on the USB port.
  • Frank W2YK
    Frank W2YK Member
    edited March 2018
    Thanks Mack.  Appreciate the help. I actually have one inside the SixPak switch box for my FT1000MP...
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    It was my understanding that the array solutions antenna switches using bandmaster could not be switched with a relay setup like the 4O3A can? 

So basically I thought you have to use their ShackLan setup. Am I wrong?

I am feeding my 6600 into an indoor 8 pack so I can switch any multitude of antennas to either SCU. I am just using their switchbox as they software they offer is too cumbersome to use for my application.

• Frank W2YK
    Frank W2YK Member
    edited March 2018
    For the SixPak, you need the unifiedmicro BCD14 and the HSD together.  I stuffed them both in the switch box for 'Radio A' and switch Radio B manually.  recently bough a single radio switch box to put another set of BCD/HSD boards inside...  hopefully for the 6400!
  • Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    The new BandMaster V will accept a USB cable directly from a flex-6000 series radio, and connects directly to a RATpak or, I assume a SixPak. It is programmable in a manner similar to the Antenna Genius. That is the $380 solution!

Craig, KØCF

• Frank W2YK
    Frank W2YK Member
    edited March 2018
  • Frank W2YK
    Frank W2YK Member
    edited March 2018
    If you have the switch box, here's a $40 solution...
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Frank, what have you done there?

I am running what I think is the older box.

Rich

• Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    What are you using to automate the switching from the ft-1000mp to the flex?
  • Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I ordered the USB to BCD cable from flex and it came with my 6600. I'm planning to somehow switch My ameritron RCS 10 which controls the quad loops.
  • Frank W2YK
    Frank W2YK Member
    edited March 2018
    It's the BCD14 and the HSD stuffed into what I guess is the 'newer' box.  Just on "Radio A".  I will probably disconnect "Radio B" and stuff another set of  BCD14 and the HSD into a single radio switch box, which I just bought recently.
  • Frank W2YK
    Frank W2YK Member
    edited March 2018
    Hi Steven,  Nothing.  Each rig feeds an Array Solutions SixPak antenna switch, which is a 6x2 (6 antenna/2 radio) antenna switch.  I can operate both radios at the same time as long as they are on different antennas/bands
  • Frank W2YK
    Frank W2YK Member
    edited March 2018
    If the control box for the RCS grounds out a cable to switch a relay you will just need a BCD-14 board from unifiedmicro.com.  If the relays need voltage to switch, you will need to add a HSD-9 board to the BCD board, as I've done above.  GL!
  • Neal - K3NC
    Neal - K3NC Inactive Employee ✭✭
    edited March 2018
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Frank, I think I might be wrong on what is newer. I just remember Jay telling me he would make me a deal on an old style box.   I finally got around to taking the cover off and it does not look like I have the same options that you have.

I almost bought a 4o3a 2x6 but ended up with the 8 pack instead.  I am regretting it at this point as their proprietary ShackLan really limits you.  I would consider running my SteppIR, Acom 600s and 8 pack off of DDUTIL if I could, but for now with my basic use the SteppIR and Acom are going to stay connected direct to Flex.

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Or you can just plug the same denkovi board into the radio and not have to use DDUtil.
  • Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Have you actually made this work, Ria? I couldn't find any tech specs on the Denkovi board to know what protocol might work with it, so I just stayed with DDUtil. Actually a moot point for me now, as I have an Antenna Genius installed and working, but the direct connect to the Denkovi board is an interesting option.

Craig, KØCF

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.