6400 Balanced mic input?

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
In testing the mic input, on the 6400 it was discovered that the ring connection was connected to case ground as well as the sleeve.

That being said, how can you call the input Pseudo-balanced?
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3000 Posts
  • 660 Reply Likes

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Wayne

Wayne

• 614 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
fuzzy logic :-)
Photo of KC2QMA_John

KC2QMA_John

• 559 Posts
  • 193 Reply Likes
I thought only the 6500,  6600 & 6700 have Balanced inputs?
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9152 Posts
  • 3478 Reply Likes
Tha is correct.  They have a truly balanced input.
Photo of Wim

Wim

• 91 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
It's like fake news, it's fake balanced ;-)
(Edited)
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3000 Posts
  • 660 Reply Likes
Then in most cases a isolation transformer should be used?
Photo of Wim

Wim

• 91 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
If you don't have any RFI problems then I would not worry about it ...
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3000 Posts
  • 660 Reply Likes
RFI is not the reason for this post as you can see.
It looks to be completely un-balanced.
This is an on going discussion on air, I am wondering about comments from those that have good insight to this.
Photo of Steven Linley

Steven Linley

• 246 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
I have a Heil Pro micro IC ( Electret) the mic uses a 3.5mm mono plug. I made an adapter that allowed me to connect the tip to a TRS (Tip Ring Sleeve) 3.5 mm using sleeve and tip only.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3000 Posts
  • 660 Reply Likes
Flex says it is Pseudo-balanced but it does not seem so.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3000 Posts
  • 660 Reply Likes
Can Flex comment on this? How is it balanced? on the 6400
Photo of W7NGA

W7NGA

• 411 Posts
  • 174 Reply Likes
Probably means there is some minimal common-mode rejection. If it isn't spec'd it isn't much.
Photo of Mike KE4U

Mike KE4U

• 27 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Hi Bill - Your tests verify the design.  The sleeve is grounded for the cable sheild termination and the mic- signal is grounded at the A/D converter. Here's the reference in the user guide:

5.3.19 Mic Connector

The MIC connector accepts a 1/8-inch (3.5mm) stereo (TRS) plug and provides a pseudo-balanced

microphone input. Pseudo-balanced means that the mic (+) and mic (-) lines are balanced all the

way to the input of the A/D converter, where the mic (-) line is DC grounded. .....

Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 2996 Posts
  • 660 Reply Likes
Then the test show un balanced.
Photo of Mike KE4U

Mike KE4U

• 27 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes

Right!  If the 6400 input circuitry was a true differential balanced input, the impedance of both of the microphones signal leads would be the same and you would not 'see' a resistance to ground on either lead as measured at the rear apron jack.

I am guessing that the reason  FLEX opted to connect the mic- signal to the cold side of the A/D's differential input was for these advantages:
1. That likely places a reasonable resistance between the unbalanced equipment ground and a balanced microphone
2. This appraoach could still reduce ground loops 
3. Thios approach accomodates both balanced and unbalanced microphones
4. This approach allows for the provisioning of phantom  / bias power for electret mic elements.

I never really knew about the term "pseudo-balanced" in the audio world. Because the impedances to ground at the source end of the hot and cold sides is different, the line isn't properly impedance balanced -- it's 'pseudo-balanced'.

Think I'll go have a cold one and try to get my head unwrapped from this concept ;-)

(Edited)
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9152 Posts
  • 3478 Reply Likes
Official Response
Technically pseudo-balanced input it is an unbalanced input into the codec, but it is wired as a balanced input from the connector to the input of the codec where it is converted to an unbalanced input (mic- and ground are bonded together).  This prevents multiple ground points in the input circuit when the transducer input (mic) is wired for a balanced input.  The advantage is that it makes the unbalanced input into the codec less susceptible to RFI.
(Edited)
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 2996 Posts
  • 660 Reply Likes
Tim can you help answer this...

One last question for Tim ...”looking at the 1/8 inch mic jack on the rear of the 6400...if metered with a DVM in resistance mode, should both the TIP and Ring be well above ground potential with nothing external connected to the jack?” 
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9152 Posts
  • 3478 Reply Likes
Ring will be at ground as the MIC- is grounded at the codec input.
Photo of Terry AB2UE

Terry AB2UE

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
What i would like to know since the mic[-] is grounded, would a 13.8vdc power supply that has a grounded DC[-] output[my Astron does] cause a problem ?  
Do the Flex Radio service technicians use 'floating or grounded' DC[-] output power supplies ?