Balanced Audio on 6600!

• Praise
  • Updated 2 years ago
Tim, and the whole FRS Team: THANK YOU for your announcement of a real balanced mic jack on the 6600. Did not expect such a response so late in the development cycle.

This level of responsiveness and user support is practically unheard of these days. Kudos to you all!
Photo of George Molnar, KF2T

George Molnar, KF2T, Elmer

• 1590 Posts
  • 555 Reply Likes
  • thankful

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of KC2QMA_John

KC2QMA_John

• 559 Posts
  • 193 Reply Likes

Thank You FRS, This was a very important feature to me.
XLR would have been great but 1/4" TRS is much better than a 1/8 jack.
I use outboard audio gear so a balanced input is a must for me.

Awesome News! Great job!
Photo of James Whiteway

James Whiteway

• 904 Posts
  • 222 Reply Likes
Now I'll have to order an adapter for the 1/8" to XLR cord I ordered yesterday from Amazon!
Such is life!
James
WD5GWY
Photo of Rick  WN2C

Rick WN2C

• 277 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
Honestly I don't get it. If the 6600 is going to have 1/4 inch balanced input then why not the 6400? 
Is there something I do not know about the 6400 that it is not capable of using balanced input? What would it really take to replace that silly 1/8 inch computer microphone connector?
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1046 Posts
  • 222 Reply Likes
They already mentioned cost. Those XLR/1/4" combo connectors are not cheap so trying to keep the price point of the 6400 low.
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4025 Posts
  • 1248 Reply Likes
Awesome news! The 1/8" connector and only one mic input was probably my only dissapointment with the new rig design.

Having two microphones connected and switchable will be very nice.

1/4" TRS is fine for me. That is what I am using now on my 6500, and is a good financial compromise. I bought a couple of XLR/TRS connectors for a project (that I never finished) and they were expensive. And wiring them would take a lot more time ($$$) than a simple 1/4 TRS.

Thanks guys!

Ken - NM9P
Photo of Andrew Thall

Andrew Thall

• 142 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Maybe this is a dumb question from a cw op, but what is balanced audio anyway and what advantages does it offer?
Thanks,
Andy, k2oo
Photo of Paul

Paul

• 480 Posts
  • 145 Reply Likes
Not dumb if you have never come accross it Andy. A balanced mic produces a bi- phase signal (speech & it's inverse). The mic input uses a differential amplifier - which amplifies the difference between the two input wires (ie. the wanted speech) but cancels signals that are common to both wires (eg hum, rf). The result is that unwanted artifacts are significantly reduced compared to single ended input. Hope that helps.
Photo of James Nelson

James Nelson

• 111 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Highly professional to have a balanced in, another show of professionalism from FRS. Being exposed to an audio background in younger years this addition will be seen by many as a great gesture.  A rig that is operated NON remote a balanced in makes the best where performance is paramount.  Its thumbs up
Photo of ka7gzr

ka7gzr

• 215 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
I do wonder how these very basic hardware decisions could be made now and deliver units in a few months?
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9152 Posts
  • 3478 Reply Likes
The PC board design and back panel layout had not been finalized so this feature could be accommodated.  Both have been finalized now so the feature set is locked.
Photo of KC2QMA_John

KC2QMA_John

• 559 Posts
  • 193 Reply Likes

Bottom line, Flex 6000’s are Hi End radios and should continue to maintain the pro balanced input such as the 65/6700. For those users who want the best Speech audio possible a balanced input is essential.

Because a balanced microphone connection is a bi-phase 3 conductor connection and uses shielded audio cable you get a much better signal to noise ratio, better audio frequency response, the ability to use +48V phantom power for condenser mics. Also a balanced microphone connection is much less likely to cause RF problems in the shack.

Then you add the fact that there are a LOT more microphone options available to you because almost all mics come with XLR connectors. You can choose anything from a simple dynamic mic to a top of the line dynamic or condenser mic.

Although I would have preferred an XLR connection because of it’s better mechanical connection, 1⁄4 TRS works just fine. I will probably make up my own adapter using a right angle 1/4” TRS connector to reduce mechanical stress on the 6600’s jack.

Thank you FRS for adding this feature in at the last minuet, you just made a lot of people very happy! :)
(Edited)
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1288 Posts
  • 657 Reply Likes

I appreciate FRS making this addition.  This best leverages the balanced setups I have with my 6700s if a 6600 is swapped in. 

Great addition and glad the addition could be squeaked under the wire for production.

Steve K9ZW

Photo of Cal Spreitzer

Cal Spreitzer

• 352 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes

Thank you Flex!  

Cal / N3CAL

Photo of k0eoo

k0eoo

• 603 Posts
  • 81 Reply Likes
Yes, thank you FRS for going the extra yard!  Now replacing my 6500 is a drop in!