Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

bad keying v1.3

K2CM
K2CM Member ✭✭
when sending a series of dashes, I get a 'K' making my CW unintelligible.  Any thoughts? Previous version ok.

Answers

• K2CM
    K2CM Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Clarification....each dash is sent as a "K".  Dots sound funny too.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Hi,
    Here are some questions that may help diagnose?

- internal keyer or CWX  or externally keyed via the accessory connector or all methods?

- if internal keyer only and using a paddle, have you tried a different key?

- certain speed or all speeds?

- sidetone or RF output only or both?

- delay setting of 0 for QSK, or some other value or all settings?  If using a low value like 50, does it still happen at 300? 

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• K2CM
    K2CM Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    1.Using internal keyer, iambic A or B via front panel
    2.Sidetone is correct in my earphones, transmitted signal is not, paddle doesnt seem to be an issue.
    3. Happens at all speeds
    4. TX delay set at 100, happens at zero too
    5.  Sounds strange with iambic off with a straight key

I have set up an additional receiver in the shack so I can hear my RF output.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    When you say TX delay are your referring to the value on the Settings tab for Transmit?

If so what is the CW Keying delay set to?  That is the one I was asking about.    See picture and arrow....

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    In case you are using CWX, do not forget for separate Delay for CWX on the left top corner of the Setup with CWX, it is can be a case.
  • K2CM
    K2CM Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    TX delay is 100 as per your screen shot.  CHANGED THE TX DELAY TO 15 as per your screen shot and the problem has been corrected!

Many Thanks!

George, K2CM
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2015

Thank you Al,

I started to document all questions and solutions for the Flex-6x00 series radios problems posted in this forum and I am saving then on a Q and A folder.

Please keep posting then; with pictures, so we can all understand how it is done. Eventually, I hope to generate a list and make it available to all "FREE."

If anyone have a solution to a problem and you have it documented; please forward it to w4eg(at)hotmail(dot)com.

Thanks

I will start a new subject similar to this on the forum for all to

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Hi George,
    Glad to hear you got it going. 

Just to clarify -- I've heard that the keying delay (and there is a separate setting for the keyer and CWX) may cause issues if set too low (between 1 and 50 maybe).    

The TX Delay can cause the keying timing to be affected if set too high.  If you need to use the TX delay setting you probably wouldn't set it that high but it seems to be something to look at if you are having a problem. 

In both cases, I'm not sure if these are repeatable problems or just anomalies.  FRS may also be aware of them.   But if you are having keying problems, they may be worth checking. 

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Here is a video showing exactly what your signal sounds like with a delay of zero vs. 9. Please make certain that  the engineers at Flex see this video. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcFgIN0j2Ec&list=UU8yv24rjknvixn1KIAcwzoQ
    Steve N4LQ

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Steve,
    I think there is some confusion about the delay settings since there are 2 different delays.  

- The TX delay on the setting screen for use with some amplifiers
    - The CW delay in the CW panel or on the CWX setting panel

And they both seem to cause different issues at certain values.  

- Clicks from certain values of the CW delay per your video
    - Bad CW from certain values of the TX delay as described in this post.
    https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/bad-keying-v1-3

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Using a 6500 without amp here. I have always kept TX Delay at zero. Does this problem affect barefoot rigs, or only those using external amps and needing to set TX Delay above zero? I.e. Should I bring TXDelay up until this is fixed? I am not at the rig to run tests right now.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Using a 6500 without amp here. I have always kept TX Delay at zero. Does this problem affect barefoot rigs, or only those using external amps and needing to set TX Delay above zero creating the possibility of a " timing inversion?" I.e. Should I bring TXDelay up until this is fixed? I am not at the rig to run tests right now.
  • Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    At this point in software development it's hard to give a good answer. Normally older amps using mechanical relays will need some tx delay to prevent hot switching. Those amps aren't QSK anyway so I would suggest 10 - 15 TX delay but be sure to use plenty of CW Delay to ensure completion of the characters. 100 would probably be enough but it's a guess.
  • Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.