Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Background Noise Flex 6300 / TS-590

mlstutler
mlstutler Member ✭✭
edited July 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows
Today on Flex I have been seeing a lot of excess noise across the band scope.  It starts about 110 down building up to 100 and then drops off.  Looks very broad banded.  On a qso free frequency (20m) the noise is S5.  I then switch over to the TS-590 and on same frequency I get no noise at all on the S meter. Its quiet.  Could the rx in the Flex be that much better to pick up noise that the 590 can't even detect?

Mike, W8MLS

Answers

• mlstutler
    mlstutler Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I found the source for the noise.   WNB was set on to 100% and behaves in a way I did not expect.  Turned off all noise processing and now see noise at about 120 db down on 20m.

Mike, W8MLS
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I was working with a friend on his interference problem last week and he also had turned the WNB to 100% and it was causing noise similar to what I find caused by solar panel regulators. We had just about decided on an intervention with the neighbor when I turned off WNB and the severity of the problem diminished greatly, enough that the neighbor will probably never know.

I do not know why it causes this but it was severe enough that I suggest people avoid that setting greatly (and maybe FLex should look at its effect).

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    WNB, like any tool, it can be abused.  The radio was not engineered according to the "Spinal Tap" methodology where if it can go to 11, it must be better ;-)
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited July 2018
    Could the rx in the Flex be that much better to pick up noise that the 590 can't even detect?

The 6300 does have better IMD DR3 (dynamic range), so it is very possible that  that the 6300 is hearing the noise better.
  • K3ZJ - Dave
    K3ZJ - Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Tim, what is your suggestion for how to use the WNB?
  • Trevor-EI2GLB
    Trevor-EI2GLB Member
    edited January 2017
    Not sure if this is revelent but when I fired up my 6500 for the first time after ARRL DX SSB I noticed that 15m the noise floor was up at 110db against the rest which were lower at there usual 125-130db, After a few tests I noticed that I was looking at 300khz of 15m I narrowed the bw down to 25khz and the noise floor dropped down to its normal, might be something to check, Thank Trevor EI2GLB
  • mlstutler
    mlstutler Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Tim the reason I had WNB set so high was frankly I don't see that it does much.  I always take any eq or dsp noise function to min / max to see what it will do.  Then I back off until it suits me.  
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    WNB is not a "silver bullet" noise mitigation feature.  This is covered in the SmartSDR for Windows Software User's Guide.  If it is not working when the blanking is set at 95% of scale or greater, then you do not have well-correlated noise and WNB will not quash it.  In this case, using WNB when it is not effective on your noise source will degrade reception.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Turn it on.  Move the blanking scale up to 80%.  if you do not see an improvement in the panadapter or hear it in the recovered audio, move the WNB slider up to 90-95%.  If still not blanking action, turn it off.  Your noise source is not well correlated and WNB will not be effective against it.  You can try the regular NB or NR.  And properly adjusting the AGC-T works wonders on band noise.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.