Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Back to 100% Operational Status

Wheelin Rev
Wheelin Rev Member
edited July 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
Just wanted to let everyone know that I am back to 100% operational status with my FLEX-6500.

The "DAX Driver Error" was quickly rectified by completely removing SmartSDR from my computer including directories and verifying that the Windows Registry was also clean. I actually used Wise Care 365 to do those tasks. I used the Program Uninstaller to "forcefully" remove all traces of SmartSDR (v)2.1.33 and then used Registry Cleaner to verify that the Windows Registry was also devoid of SmartSDR remnants. Once that was completed, I simply installed a fresh copy of SmartSDR (v)2.1.33 and the "DAX Driver Error" had been resolved. Uber-happy about that!

Unfortunately, I then noticed that all of my configured SmartSDR CAT Ports had disappeared even though the ports still appeared in Device Manager. A quick search of this very helpful Community found this posting:

SmartSDR CAT Ports have disappeared but are still reported in the Device Manager

which ultimately led me to this Technical Article by Tim Ellison:

Removing "In Use" Com Ports for Available Com Ports

and the referenced German utility called "COM Name Arbiter Setter" performed the necessary cleanup of the problem in a single left-click. That was easy!

Sooooooo... Everything is 100% operational again with no errors. I want to especially thank Tim Ellison for writing the referenced Technical Article. And I can't forget those Community members that gave me directions on how to resolve the "DAX Driver Error" by re-installing SmartSDR. Thanks again folks!

Now I am off to work some Stateside and possibly some DX on the digital modes with this awesome FLEX-6500 transceiver. With the support that FlexRadio and the Community have to offer, one can be confident that when an anomaly arises, a resolution is not to far off... Go FLEX!

73, Dave Hamm K4EET

P.S. For those that were involved with me getting SmartSDR (v)2 and SmartSDR iOS, I have been using the remote capability with ease from my hospital bed. That along with the SmartSDR iOS Logbook makes for a great combination when I am confined to bed-rest. Thanks again to all of you as well!

Comments

• K7NXT
    K7NXT Member
    edited April 2018
    Hello. This is an open reply to the community and the Flex management.  First, I wish to extend my best wishes for Rev. Hamm's recovering health and continued enjoyment of the Flex system. 

It was after my purchase of a 6500 and Maestro, when I came to understand the priority that Flex has put on the connectivity to third party software and  its focus on advanced contesting, along with remote operation through Internet protocols (compared to more traditional ham radio operation). 

These industry-leading innovations have developed a lot of loyal Flex fans who are willing to work through the problems like Rev. Hamm has described above. However, by embracing all of the complexity of numerous operating systems, third party software programs, and interfaces, Flex  has adopted a System Level operational stance that seems to continually be challenged by software issues.   

I greatly appreciate how Flex has led the technology with SDRs and I hope that they continue to improve the hardware and firmware to maintain their SDR leadership.  However, I am still concerned about how much user intervention seems to be required (as described above) to keep these radios operating properly. 

Note: I understand the many reasons to have software updates and have no complaints when they install seamlessly. However, when I refer to "user intervention" it means  having to troubleshoot software updates and applying other actions (such as running third party Windows Registry Cleaners) to make the system again operate properly.  

Does Flex expect this need for user intervention to continue on into the future, or are there hardware and software engineering plans leading to a more stable platform? In sum, I would like to understand the Flex vision prior to purchasing my next system.

Sincerely, William A. Reed  K7NXT

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    You are going to hear from a lot people that hardly ever have software problems. I for one simply install the latest version and forget about it, I have never ever had to do anything to make it work. Most of the 3rd party software that is wonderful in most cases simply installs and it takes very little if any to have it work with SSDR because it is made to.

I think what you read is a very rare case where something local was bothering SSDR from working properly.
    I have also noticed that many who have had problems installed without following the correct method and running onto problems later. There are clear recommendations that should be followed for a trouble free install.
    And in some cases people are trying new things for the first time and were seeking help in understanding the correct setup for it.

SSDR is one of the most stable software I have ever used.
  • VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Actually, if you read Rev Hamm's original posting, he was also part of the Windows Insider program and was having difficulty with the latest release (Beta) from them.  The other side of the equation here is what O/S and version they are running -- especially trying to keep up with ones that are on the 'leading edge' :-)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.