Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Autosave Profiles

Michael Wheatley
Michael Wheatley Member ✭✭
edited August 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
In SSDR V2.5 and V3, the TX and Mic profiles are automatically saved when changes to their settings are made.  The is not optional:  there is no "turn on/turn off autosave" switch.

Can someone explain to me why this behavior is good or desirable?

I have carefully set up my profiles to do what I want them to.  Occasionally I will temporarily make a change to my operating settings for a good reason.  To restore them to what they are, I simply reload the profile I was using.  With autosave I will have to have two versions of each of my profiles: the one I want and a garbage one that I can use while operating.  I will have to load the profile I want, then save it as garbage.  When I want to revert to the desired profile, I will have to load it again and save it again to garbage.

Sounds like a good reason to stay with v2.49

Michael -- Km6LHD

Answers

• KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I don't like this feature either.  Hopefully the upcoming v3.x point upgrade will make it optional.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Auto-Save On/Off switch = Happiness :o)
  • Paul Lourd
    Paul Lourd Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Hey, at least thanks for the garbage idea! This is one of those insane "features" that you almost have to wonder if the programmer has ever used a radio. The ENTIRE point of profiles is so that if you f it up while operating you have a known "good one" to quickly go back to. Amazing!!

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Paul, that is partly true. If you have a saved profile to a file on your hardrive or a thumb drive, then problem solved.
  • Paul Lourd
    Paul Lourd Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I think you missed the word "quickly" in my post, lol. To have to import profiles every time you want to go back is not the answer.   To be honest, I am still TOTALLY confused with profiles. I have setup my station to have a global profile for each band, with the correct power levels set for my SPE 1.5k.    So what worries me is if I go work barefoot at 50 or 100 watts, then load my "SPE 40m profile", I'll hit the amp with may more than it wants.  Maybe another way to do it?
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Of cource I as say that in case things really get messed up. keeping a good known profile handy is a good thing to do.

I know what your saying. Until they get this sorted out, maybe set you max TX to a safe power in case of a mistake?
  • Robby Robertson
    Robby Robertson Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Can anybody tell me where these profiles are stored?

Robby
    HP3SS
  • kd5foy
    kd5foy Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    On the radio itself

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    The working profiles are in the radio, how ever the profile files them selves are saved to the computer. You can go into the profile manager and tell it were to save the profiles. I created a folder on my desktop called inport export as an example.
  • Robby Robertson
    Robby Robertson Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Thank you Bill,

Actually I think the ones you can save on the computer are backups and not readable with a text editor. I was hoping to find files that I could change to read only so the S/W could not change them. Of course if it were that easy someone would have thought of it long ago. As you pointed out the working files are apparently in the radio. Probably for a good reason.

-Robby
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Has there been any progress on adding the ON/OFF switch to the AudioSave feature in SmartSDR?
    I'm still on version 2.49.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    @John

As you likely are no doubt aware, it is the policy of Flex to not make pronouncements on future software features until they are ready.    Further they do not make pronouncements as to if a feature will ever be included.

As you are no doubt aware, the reason that the feature was changed to autosave was due to the very high increase in support requests by hams who were unable to understand that Profiles were not autosaved like they are in legacy radios.  Once autosave was included support requests dropped. 

I personally would turn off the autosave feature for my use cases, 
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Just thought there might be some progress on this by now.

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/profile-auto-save-discussion

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.