Autosave Profiles

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
In SSDR V2.5 and V3, the TX and Mic profiles are automatically saved when changes to their settings are made.  The is not optional:  there is no "turn on/turn off autosave" switch.

Can someone explain to me why this behavior is good or desirable?

I have carefully set up my profiles to do what I want them to.  Occasionally I will temporarily make a change to my operating settings for a good reason.  To restore them to what they are, I simply reload the profile I was using.  With autosave I will have to have two versions of each of my profiles: the one I want and a garbage one that I can use while operating.  I will have to load the profile I want, then save it as garbage.  When I want to revert to the desired profile, I will have to load it again and save it again to garbage.

Sounds like a good reason to stay with v2.49

Michael -- Km6LHD
Photo of Michael Wheatley

Michael Wheatley

• 10 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of KF4HR

KF4HR

• 795 Posts
  • 269 Reply Likes
I don't like this feature either.  Hopefully the upcoming v3.x point upgrade will make it optional.
Photo of KC2QMA_John

KC2QMA_John

• 768 Posts
  • 318 Reply Likes
Auto-Save On/Off switch = Happiness :o)
(Edited)
Photo of Paul Lourd

Paul Lourd

• 30 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Hey, at least thanks for the garbage idea! This is one of those insane "features" that you almost have to wonder if the programmer has ever used a radio. The ENTIRE point of profiles is so that if you f it up while operating you have a known "good one" to quickly go back to. Amazing!!

Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3888 Posts
  • 947 Reply Likes
Paul, that is partly true. If you have a saved profile to a file on your hardrive or a thumb drive, then problem solved.
Photo of Paul Lourd

Paul Lourd

• 30 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
I think you missed the word "quickly" in my post, lol. To have to import profiles every time you want to go back is not the answer.   To be honest, I am still TOTALLY confused with profiles. I have setup my station to have a global profile for each band, with the correct power levels set for my SPE 1.5k.    So what worries me is if I go work barefoot at 50 or 100 watts, then load my "SPE 40m profile", I'll hit the amp with may more than it wants.  Maybe another way to do it?
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3888 Posts
  • 947 Reply Likes
Of cource I as say that in case things really get messed up. keeping a good known profile handy is a good thing to do.

I know what your saying. Until they get this sorted out, maybe set you max TX to a safe power in case of a mistake?
Photo of Robby Robertson

Robby Robertson

• 11 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Can anybody tell me where these profiles are stored?

Robby
HP3SS
Photo of kd5foy

kd5foy

• 29 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
On the radio itself

Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3888 Posts
  • 947 Reply Likes
The working profiles are in the radio, how ever the profile files them selves are saved to the computer. You can go into the profile manager and tell it were to save the profiles. I created a folder on my desktop called inport export as an example.
Photo of Robby Robertson

Robby Robertson

• 11 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thank you Bill,

Actually I think the ones you can save on the computer are backups and not readable with a text editor. I was hoping to find files that I could change to read only so the S/W could not change them. Of course if it were that easy someone would have thought of it long ago. As you pointed out the working files are apparently in the radio. Probably for a good reason.

-Robby