Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Automatic SmartSDR CAT Client connection(s)

Bob - W7KWS -
Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in New Ideas
If this already exists and I've missed it, please let me know. Thanks! I have a Maestro and some additional Windows and IOS SmartSDR clients. Everytime I use a different one, I have to access my PC back at the station to remotely switch CAT to the newly connected client. It would save so much time and trouble if CAT would automatically switch to the newly connected client or, if it's the case, the last remaining client in the case of disconnects. It only makes sense to me that, if I've just connected a client that this is the one I want the radio to follow. Best regards, Bob W7KWS

Comments

• John - AI4FR
    John - AI4FR Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Go to CAT window, then at top right click on settings.
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Thanks but it looks as though those settings relate to the last "radio" or to "SmartLink". In any case, I have them set and they don't achieve my goal. I want CAT to connect to the newest "client" i.e., my iPhone that I just turned on out on the patio via Wi-Fi for the first time in a while, having used an iPad or Windows laptop in the meantime.
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    As I understand it, SmartCat is an application running on your client, it isn't up to the radio to start and stop programs on your devices.

• Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Ken, Thanks for your thoughts. I didn't state my goal completely above. I'm trying to control other station equipment such as a SteppIR. There is no SmartCAT that I see in SmartSDR IOS (client) so CAT has to run on the PC back at the station, which is a 2nd simultanious client connected to SmartSDR on my iPhone so as to have my SteppIR follow the iPhone.
  • JohnSweeney
    JohnSweeney Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    CAT does not have to run on a PC at home.   CAT can run remotely.   If you are using SmartIOS, then you will need a laptop at your remote location to run CAT remotely.
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Hi John,

CAT can't control my SteppIR and linear amp over a USB cable from a remote location. It does both running on my PC back at home by connecting to the remote SmartSDR client on my iPhone or Windows tablet, as it is apparently designed to do.

It's this CAT to client connection that I'd like to be just a bit smarter.

Thanks!
  • JohnSweeney
    JohnSweeney Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Bob - I guess i must be confused.  I have a Bandmaster, Expert Amplifier and SDA100 connected to a Flex6500 through the rear USB ports.   If I change bands (or frequency) on my iPad or iPhone, the SteppIR will tune, the amp will change bands and the Bandmaster selects the right antenna.  No CAT connection needed.
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Hi John, I didn't want to overly complicate my feature request with a long description of my station. But since you asked, I'll try to keep it short. I did what you describe at first but then things got complicated when I had to add an additional radio. I usually run the Flex remotely from either a cell phone a Windows tablet or a Maestro. Operating a cell phone while driving isn't safe and also invites an expensive ticket. The Maestro is to big to mount in my pickup so I added an IC-706 to the station's remote mix. The control head is in my car & the radio is at home using RemoteRigs for control & audio via my cell phone's hotspot feature. The 706 is easy to tune without taking my eyes off the road and our laws here in Washington, and many other states, allow Ham Radio use while driving. To facilitate switching control of the SteppIR & AMP from radio to radio, I use Ham Radio Deluxe. While using the Flex, SmartSDR CAT takes the frequency data from the 6300 and sends it to HRD which then sends it to the SteppIR & AMP. The 706 talks directly to HRD to accomplish the same thing. This makes it easy to switch radios since all I have to do is select the corresponding tab in HRD. One click using Remote Desktop on my cell phone and it's done. Of course, this made it easy to add even more radios to the mix and still easily control the amp and antenna. Thus, the IC-7610 was added. I suspect that by now you are starting to get the picture. I'm actually nuts & obsessed with HF remote station control. Many Flex users use multiple SmartSDR clients with their Flex radio(s). Flex has even built the software to permit two simultaneous connections to the radio. I suspect that more are probably in the works. My PC is always active with one client for local station operation while in the shack. The 2nd client is the device of choice at the moment when I'm remote either downstairs in my easy chair or a 1000 miles away while on the road. I just thought that automating the connection between CAT and the most recently connected SmartSDR client would be a useful time saver when switching clients. I hope this helps your understanding, John. Best regards, Bob
  • John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Bob I am not sure this will solve you issue but there are programs that allows you to control USB devices via IP.  I do not recall the names but a Google search might help.  I also remember another member on the forum posting a thread about one of these program in operation with his Flex station.
  • bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Bob Some of your issue relates to the functionality of the CAT. I am not a proficient in this CAT operation but to accomplish what you want to do could be complex. CAT channel can only have one transmitter but can have many listeners. Trying to have two transmitters cause a conflict. If you need to have two way traffic it should be a unique CAT channel. In setting up CAT there are different parameters Flex allows you to choose. I would make a drawing the equipment and functions you are employing. Then a support person from the various suppliers can help with a functional solution, and possibly a help desk support person could identify solutions. If you don’t identify the conflicts your system will be not stable as you do various functions. You will end up with many CATs set up. Each slice will have two for each Control position. 73 Bill W9JJB
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Thanks Bill but you must have misunderstood my feature request. You might not have seen my clarification further down the thread.

My feature request doesn't have anything to do with the CAT/radio connection, just the CAT/SmartSDR-client connection. It really isn't overly complicated.

CAT works well and connects to to the radio and all of my remote clients without any difficulty whatsoever. It works perfectly. I just think it would be a time saver to automate the CAT/client connection rather than make me do it manually from my remote location.

As an example; if my Maestro is connected to CAT & I then turn it off and then turn on my iPad, CAT continues to look for the Maestro to come back on-line but also lists the iPad in its client list.

It would make more sense for CAT to determine the obvious; that it should automatically connect to the iPad since it's the only client remaining on-line.

If I had not disconnected the Maestro but simply turned on the iPad, it would be a simple matter for CAT to conclude that I want to use the iPad since I have just turned it on.

Best regards Bill,

Bob
  • bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Bob, Flex CAT is an application that sets up virtual ports of different types and identification. You have some Options to leave it turned on when you log off or turn CAT off. This may give you some help. The question of persistence on the CAT application is another factor that maybe what is affecting your architecture. I use SliceMaster 6000 that works well on the LAN. Not so with remote, SmartLink. FRStack does work on remote computers. What we are getting into is system engineering as we want to do more and more complex things. It is a lot of fun. Keep us appraised of what you find. There are some Elmers on the community that can give guidance on what is the underlying functionality. 73 Bill W9JJB
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Bill, I'm having no trouble here. I've offered a simple idea and I'm not planning to pursue a solution. The proper place for this idea is within SmartSDR CAT & might involve a few dozen lines of code at most plus some testing. After a thirty years designing cell phones & telephone switching systems, I'm retired & will leave this trivial task where it belongs, assuming that Flex sees the value in it.
  • bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Bob Nice to hear your background. I was licensed the same year. Going to school I worked as broadcast engineer in radio and TV, summer vacation fill in for 3 summers at KFEQ. Motorola FM receiver design engineer. System Engineer Manager two way systems. Motorola cellular manufacturing. Software Consultant for 6 years after Motorola. It’s hard to get radio out of your blood. Will look for you on the air. A pleasure communicating with you. 73 Bill W9JJB

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.