Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Automatic Bandswitching for the PW1 with the Flex 6xxx

For those wishing to interface a Flex 6xxx to an ICOM PW1 amplifier, we have a module that will do this automatically without using the CAT commands or interfering with logging programs.  It connects to the Flex USB port and provided all the feature to the PW1 like pass through, auto antenna selection, etc.  It even prevents transmitting while the PW1 is changing bands.  For info, email ed@w2ph.com for more details.

Best Answer

Answers

• W8ASA
    W8ASA Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Too bad it's no longer available. I really wanted to order one. Ken W8ASA 
  • Brad
    Brad Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    The DDUtil software will work. I use it just for that.
  • W8ASA
    W8ASA Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    How do you get the control signal from DDutil to the amplifier? Do you use a CT17 or other similar device?
  • Brad
    Brad Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Yes a CT-17.
  • dave
    dave Member
    edited August 2019
    What happened? I was looking to buy the interface box and I get no response. Can you share?
  • W8ASA
    W8ASA Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I spoke with W2PH on the phone a month or two ago. He told me he was out of the circuit boards and wasn't going to get any more. Too bad for us.
  • Ed Johnson
    Ed Johnson Member ✭✭

Guys,

Due to lack of interest at the time, we discontinued the ABS for the PW1. To complicate matters even more, we sold the PW1 and have no way to test the ABS. Sorry,

Ed W2PH

• Dutch
    Dutch Member
    Is there a possibility that I could get a schematic of this PCB if the company no longer has any interest?
  • John K3MA
    John K3MA Member ✭✭

Or you could purchase one that I no longer need. My email is good on QRZ.com

John K3MA

• TechVP1
    TechVP1 Member
    I sure would be interested if someone has an ABS unit that is no longer being used. I can appreciate all of the work that went into it. My email is good on QRZ. Karl N7TWP
  • W8ASA
    W8ASA Member ✭✭

I sold my ABS and PW1 some time ago. It's so sad that ICOM has stuck with their CI-V. It doesn't make sense any more. Even with my IC-7610, I was having continual problems with the PW1. Now, with my 6400 and PGXL, there are zero communication problems. My 7610 is connected to the PGXL using CI-V, and it still hiccups (hiccoughs for you purists) from time to time.

• BrianB
    BrianB Member
    VA3MW, what cables are needed to use the BM-5 with the flex ? are they available pre maid from array solutions ?
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

The FlexRadio outputs its CAT data with a USB/RS232 adapter on the back of the radio.

I suspect it will plug into the 9 pin radio port on the back of the BandMaster (I don't have one to test). But it will likely be something called a Null Modem Gender Bender (9 Pin Female on both ends with pins 2 and 3 crossed). You could ask BandMaster for advice as well.

You won't break anything if it is the wrong one.

That one is 10ft long. A shorter one should be available on Amazon.

• KB2LMN
    KB2LMN Member
    Ok guys I’m brand new here so don’t be too ruff on me beating this dead horse. Has anyone come up with a way to use the IC-PW1 with a 6400 without a computer and have band switch and ALC?
    If anyone is selling one of the modules that I’ve heard of I am interested.

73 KB2LMN
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Yes, you can use the BandMaster from Array Solutions to do that for you. It will take the data from the radio and send it directly to the PW-1. See the posting above.

ALC will just plug right into the radio from the amplifier. There is no computer involved.

• KB2LMN
    KB2LMN Member
    Mike, I picked up a Bandmaster V and was wondering how exactly it hooks to the amp I have USB to 6400 and power supply hooked up. Do I use the CI-V plug to the IC-PW1 remote input?
  • Mike-VA3MW

If you call Bandmaster, they should be able to help you.

But, 100% guessing, you need to set a Hex address in the BM which is the Hex address on the PW1 and then make sure the Baud rate between the PW 1 and the BM is the same.

Others who have done this might be able to comment.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.