Auto tuner for 6300

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • (Edited)
Hi all. I was wondering if anyone knows of an ATU that integrates with the 6300 and will not need messing about with all time? Thanks
Photo of Steve MI6SKG

Steve MI6SKG

• 18 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Reggie-k6xr

Reggie-k6xr

• 413 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
I use a LDG Z-11 ProII  or LDZ AT-100ProII with my 6500. Both work seamlessly.
Photo of Bob Hawkins

Bob Hawkins

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Reginald. does the 6300 power the tuner?

Photo of Steve MI6SKG

Steve MI6SKG

• 18 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Thanks for your help I can't see me getting the flex tuner as it doesn't seem to be as effective as most aftermarket ones at least that us what I have read
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3647 Posts
  • 880 Reply Likes
were did you read the Flex tuner is not effective?
Photo of Steve MI6SKG

Steve MI6SKG

• 18 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Lots of places on the net. Also currently it does not have memories and no word otherwise for 1.4? Also it costs £300 which is more than a good aftermarket one
Photo of William Hemmingsen

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
The 6300 built in tuner will tune just about anything.  As a matter of fact I have not found anything it won't tune yet.  But yes, lack of memories is a pain, but I'm sure its coming.

W4WHL
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1209 Posts
  • 467 Reply Likes
I disagree. I think 6:1 is the limit. My Kx3 does in excess of 10:1. and it is faster and remembers
Photo of Bill W2PKY

Bill W2PKY

• 492 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
ATU Memories might be in 1.5; No date for that. The other issue with the built in ATUs at present is that it drops out with changes to the slice configuration. I know that's a broad statement. Finally, if you run into tuning failures just add coax to the feed line until success is achieved.
Photo of k3Tim

k3Tim

• 891 Posts
  • 183 Reply Likes
I recall the h/w manual for the 6K series saying the tuner will tune 10:1. 

ATU + Memories are an added part of 1.4

I find not having the mems mildly annoying but not painful.

Best,
Tim
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9178 Posts
  • 3525 Reply Likes
Here are the FLEX-6300 ATU specifications.  

Matching Range 80m – 10m:  Optional, 8.3 Ohms – 300 Ohms
    Matching Range 160 and 6m:  Optional, 16.7 Ohms – 150 Ohms
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3647 Posts
  • 880 Reply Likes
Tim, what is the tune? is it 10.1 I'm not following.
Oh and in my post I was kidding about selling my radio, I was having fun with some reasons I hear about why some may consider doing so.
Photo of Reggie-k6xr

Reggie-k6xr

• 413 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
I also disagree. I have 3  auto-tuners that tune my multi-band antenna 1.1,  3.5 through 30 mhz. my 6500 tuner fails on all but one band. Even my little elecraft qrp tuner tunes it 3.5-30. I have tried adding coax and all to no avail i wish it had a larger range.
Photo of Reggie-k6xr

Reggie-k6xr

• 413 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
I now see the reason for tuning difficulties,  Reading the specifications. 8.3 - 300 ohms. My auto tuners tune 6 to 1000 ohms or more. 
Photo of Steve MI6SKG

Steve MI6SKG

• 18 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Thanks all. I will likely order an LDG or MFJ tuner. Is there any way to tune from smartsdr? Or do I have to keep hitting the button?
Photo of Richard McClelland, AA5S

Richard McClelland, AA5S

• 296 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
I'm running an Elecraft KAT500 tuner with my Flex 1500.  A secondary amplifier is essential for tuning the KAT500 as five watts isn't enough.  Band switching is automatic and the memories work well.  My only other tuner before this was a Dentron Jr. Monitor tuner, I'd recommend both of these. (for what it's worth.)
Photo of Reggie-k6xr

Reggie-k6xr

• 413 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
ldg: once tuned will auto tune when you key up
Photo of Steve MI6SKG

Steve MI6SKG

• 18 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Thanks!
Photo of John n0snx

John n0snx

• 229 Posts
  • 54 Reply Likes
I have both LDG and MFJ.... LDG is much faster and less retuning in automode
Photo of Steve MI6SKG

Steve MI6SKG

• 18 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Hi John can you tell me which model of LDG tuner you are using please? Thank you.
Photo of Jim - N7CXI

Jim - N7CXI

• 124 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I'm not sure I understand all this. If there's a 10:1 VSWR present at the shack end of an unbalanced feedline, the losses will be astronomical. I'm probably asking for it, but why would anyone do that, assuming they had any other choice at all?

Thanks,
Jim N7CXI
Photo of Reggie-k6xr

Reggie-k6xr

• 413 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
When not using an unbalanced feedline but ladder line. A multi-band (80-30 MHZ) using ladder line to a balun and then coax to the tuner. this requires a manual tuner or a Auto tuner with a wide range. With this arrangement you can have an all band antenna-one dipole- for all bands. The Flex tuner will not tune (usually) this type of antenna. the LDG tuners will and allows you to have only one antenna that is very efficient for all bands. Losses are very small. 
Photo of Jim - N7CXI

Jim - N7CXI

• 124 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
That makes sense, (of course) but I'm hearing of all kinds of cases where people are using long lengths of unbalanced line and unbalanced tuners in the shack to "match" impossible loads. Even manufacturers are recommending it - for example using some defined length of coax to "match" a 43-foot vertical on 160m. The impedance at the shack end may indeed by "matchable" with an unbalanced tuner at that point, but operationally it resembles a really complex dummy load more than something that radiates with usable efficiency. 
Color me narrow-minded, I suppose... 
Jim N7CXI
Photo of Norm - W7CK

Norm - W7CK

• 751 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
I have the Elecraft KAT500 and it will tune in excess of 10:1.  It never fails to tune to any band I ask it to.  The internal tuner on my 6700 often has problems trying to tune < 10:1 and it doesn't have memories yet.  I'd put my $300 into an external tuner that you could use with any rig you choose and one that has lots of memories.