Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Auto switch to Memory File Configuration when Clicking on Frequency thru Waterfall

Jeremy - W2JG
Jeremy - W2JG Member
edited March 2020 in New Ideas
It would be great if the radio automatically switched to all the memory settings for the channel when the channel is selected by selecting it via Waterfall or Manually typing in the frequency. 
This suggestion is most useful while selecting repeater frequencies in the 6m, 2m, and transverter bands.   Currently when selecting an active frequency in waterfall, one needs to manually see if one previously configured the CTCSS, Tone, Offset, etc by searching for the frequency in the memory table then either select that memory entry or type it in again.  The suggestion is for the unit to automatically configure itself to those settings when selecting the frequency outside of the Memory Select function.  It is very time consuming to reconfigure the radio each time one finds an active frequency then manually changing to the required settings for the repeater.   This suggestion would automate the process so that as soon as one changes to the frequency, it is ready to go.

In addition to all the HF Bands, I use my 6700 on the 6m, 2m, 1.25m, and 70cm bands where repeaters are predominant.  
I am interested to know if anyone else would find this suggestion useful.

Thank You for your feedback!

Jeremy 
‘W2JG 
0 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2020
    Doing this would be very challenging.  When looking at the 6700, you have to think about it being 8 separate radios sharing one transmitter and two possible antenna (SCU) configurations.

The reason it would be challenging is that there can be a possibility of 8 adapters and 8 slices (at least ~40k permutation and combinations) so you would have to know which panadapter /slice combination is valid for the operation.  Also, slice and panadapter resources are not absolute, meaning the first panadapter and slice on your screen may not actually be the first panadapter and slice resource since they are virtualized due to multiFlex.

In addition, with the FLEX-6700, you have two Nyquist zones to deal with and selecting a frequency on a pandapter that is not in the same or correct Nyquist zone will change the SCU configuration for any existing pandapters using the same Nyquist zone.

All of these factors make modifying an existing panadapter/slice combination challenging at best.

Using a memory to set the radio operating state is more straightforward as it destroys the current panadpter/slice resource combination and dynamically rebuilds a new default panadapter and slice combination based on the memory parameters.
  • Jeremy - W2JG
    Jeremy - W2JG Member
    edited March 2020
    Tim,

I appreciate that it is not straight forward.  As a compromise to help speed up the process, could a FIND option be added to the memory routine that finds the closest frequency for the current active slice that finds the memory entry.  If there is ambiguity to determining the “active slice”, can the FIND button be added to the Slice menu?  Basically something that could help speed up the process?  Finding frequencies are fast with the waterfall, but setting up the other parameters to use the repeater is slow.  I know you don’t have a SCAN option in memory, so this would at least help speed up the process of tuning into frequencies in use and of interest.  
    Of course this only helps speed up the process if one had already added repeater parameters and other band plan info into the memory table previously.   I do not have suggestions for spending up the tuning if one has not created the memory table, but open to suggestions.

Thank you for your assistance and continued interest in improving the product.   I have only been using my 6700 for a few months, but find it to be an exceptional radio with great customer support!

Jeremy 
    W2JG 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.