Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Audio level between Maestro and SmartSDR

Peter Bacon
Peter Bacon Member
edited February 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows
If I use my Maestro to listen on a frequency, and then turn off the Maestro to listen using SmartSDR on the same frequency, I observe that the audio level is considerably lower on SmartSDR.  However if I change to another band with SmartSDR then the audio output levels are restored.  In my case I am listening to 50.085 MHz on the Maestro, but changing over to 50.085 on SmartSDR results in reduced noise level.  If I switch SmartSDR to 10m CW to audio comes right back up.  Then if I go back to 50.085 on SmartSDR the audio level is normal.  This is true for both the headphones, and powered speakers on my 6700.  73 Peter G3ZSS

Comments

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Might it be different AGC-T settings between SSDR and the Maestro?

Mike va3mw
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    This isn't a problem.  It is a consequence of the design.  SmartSDR for Windows is engineered to manage the audio gain of up to 8 slice receivers, as such the overall per slice gain is a little lower.  Maestro on the other hand only has to manage 2 slices and we also put a higher gain AF amplifier in the Maestro to overcome situations where it is used in higher ambient noise conditions (public locations).  
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Tim,

The problem I have is similar but the designed solution you describe has created a problem in reverse.

When I use a Windows tablet, I have to crank the audio up all the way.  Then, when I go to that public place (room next to wife sleeping) with the Maestro and turn it on, it blasts me out of the room and, of course, wakes her up.  That's the end of ham radio for the night.

I have tried to remember to turn the audio down before ending use of SSDR but that's is counter to the concept that "Remote Disconnect" was included for.  Trying to remember to turn the levels down on the tablet has proven to not be foolproof.  An earphone solution in this situation could cause permanent hearing loss.

What are the chances of incorporating independent level memories in the radio for SSDR and Maestro so all these domestic issues with a wife or with folks in a public place can be accounted for?

Thanks!
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    We can't control nor do we know what the output gain is for different sound cards, so normalizing this is a challenge.

It may be possible to add this state parameter to the client side persistence, but not as part of the radio persistence.
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Tim,

I don't think it needs to be normalized across multiple, unknown devices, just so it's the same each time I go back to the same device.

Thanks

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.