Audio input vrs PTT question

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Hello all,

I have the 6300.  I don't do much SSB but wanted to get setup for it and I hate the hand mic.

I have a Jabra comm headset that plugs into the PC and is recognized as an audio input/output device.  I can select "PC" in SmartSDR and using this setup with VOX I can and do get nice audio when monitored at a remote site.  

While VOX is ok there are times I'd like to manually key things.  So I rigged up a foot switch to the PTT phono jack on the back.   However when I key the radio using this foot switch, even with PC selected as the audio source there is no (or very low) audio.  It is like the audio is coming from the hand mic.  To be sure I disconnected the hand mic, keyed the radio with the foot switch and zero audio is transmitted.

Should not this combination work?  IE if I select PC as my input, have my headset selected as the default input device should not keying the radio via the foot switch work?

Again this same PC headset works gang busters on VOX.

Thanks in advance!

Mark WS7M
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1282 Posts
  • 483 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9186 Posts
  • 3541 Reply Likes
Official Response
In REMOTE mode, hardware PTT is not accessible.  Remote operation on a PC is intended to be used away from the radio hardware.  We did not want a situation to occur where the radio hardware was keyed up accidentally and the radio was transmitting from a PC located somewhere else.

So VOX or using the MOX button are your remote keying options.
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1282 Posts
  • 483 Reply Likes
Hi Tim,

Thanks for that.  I guess however I'm not really viewing this as "remote" in the true sense of the word. I see your point completely.

I am at the radio, I'm just using the PC input as my mic.  I wish there was some kind of override to get around it for cases like mine.  The audio from this headset is great.  Just wish I could trigger transmit using a foot switch.

M
Photo of Martin Ewing AA6E

Martin Ewing AA6E

• 320 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
How about Flex providing Bluetooth audio support directly on the radio, via a USB dongle maybe?
Photo of K3ZJ - Dave

K3ZJ - Dave

• 41 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
For contesters it is important to use PC audio locally to match the audio used on recorded CQs etc. that reside in software-based voice keyers such as that included in N1MM and N1MM+, and fed from the same PC.  Many contesters use a foot switch, and in any event VOX doesn't work with multiple operators all yelling at the same time in multi-op environments no matter how much time one might spend trying to adjust the anti-vox.  Some even use noise gates so that the noise from other ops doesn't go out during pauses or when trying to listen.

There must (should) be a way to implement this as an option.  Maybe something that will key rig through PC using foot switch?  Seems to me I've seen that somewhere, not sure where and doubt it went through Ethernet ....

73, Dave K3ZJ
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1282 Posts
  • 482 Reply Likes
While not yet an avid contester this is sort of exactly what I want.   I would like to use PC audio, either from my headset (USB) or a voice keyer.
Photo of Larry - W8LLL

Larry - W8LLL

• 495 Posts
  • 110 Reply Likes

Frstack has a feature and instructions where you can create a keying device like a foot switch or trigger converted to a usb port for remote keying. I use this and it works great.

you can also create hot keys for keyboard keying with frstack

http://mkcmsoftware.com/Flex/Index

MOX COM Port

When operating SmartSDR Remotely you do not have access to the PPT hardware on the Radio. The MOX COM Port feature allows you to use a hand or foot switch to key the transmitter using your remote PC’s serial port (or USB port using a inexpensive USB to RS232 Converter). This feature has two modes; Hold and Toggle. Hold mode keys the transmitter when the switch is closed and un-keys the transmitter when the switch opens. Toggle mode keys the transmitter on the switch's transition from open to closed and continues to transmitting when the switch opens. A second switch transition from open to closed un-keys the transmitter.

The switch contacts should be connected as follows:
Switch shield / ground to DB9 Ground Pin 5
Switch PPT line to DB9 DSR Pin 6
Connect a 10K resistor between DB9 DSR Pin 6 and DTR Pin 4

Note: When you enable this feature (or start FRStack with this feature enabled) without the resistor in place between the DTR and DSR pins of the selected COM Port OR the hand or foot switch in the closed state; FRStack will report an error and disable the feature.

(Edited)
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9186 Posts
  • 3541 Reply Likes
This issue where you need to use the PC to record DVK (digitial voice keyer) messages for programs like N1MM will be moot when the upcoming SmartSDR v1.6 is released.

And for contesting, we do not recommend using the REMOTE feature for transmitting due to the additional latency imparted in the transmission timing as a result of your audio having to be processed by an external PC and then sent to the radio to be transmitted.  This latency can result in the person on the other end missing your call because it is a few 100 ms behind what you would expect (key down and speaking does not result in instantaneous RF transmission)
(Edited)
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1282 Posts
  • 482 Reply Likes
ooo I like hearing stuff like this!  Thanks Tim!