Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Audio cuts early losing my last word?

Richard - MW0XDT
Richard - MW0XDT Member ✭✭
Hi Guys,

just wondered if anybody has experienced your TX audio being cut short at the end of an over? I use a foot switch direct into my 6500 and appears to trigger with absolute consistency and synchronicity. However I keep getting reports that my last word is cut short?

Any thoughts much appreciated,

73 Richard MW0XDT

Answers

• W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    your output signal is slightly delayed due to processing latencies, so my guess is while the hardware PTT is immediate, your voice signal hasn't quite propagated to the antenna when the changeover occurs. If you listen to your signal on a secondary receiver you will hear this. Just try and not be quite so quick on the foot-switch.
  • Richard - MW0XDT
    edited June 2020
    Yeah I also suspect a latency issue....however on keying up, the audio is instantly there, nothing missed at all. The issue only presents when I release the foot switch. It's also worth noting that my last word appears fully processed on screen, but does not get fully transmitted. Another thought just occurred to me, I am running the linear also....I wonder if it's the linear dropping early? I will test this and come back with results. I doubt this is the case, as when running an 80m net, both distant and local (+40) stations have noticed the same...if I was just dropping back to 'drive' output, I would still be 59+ Many thanks for the reply, I'll continue to investigate....or just develop a lazy, heavy foot!!!
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I had to teach my foot to be a little slower, too. I was often identifying as "November Mike Nine pa_____" in a pileup until I realized that the ever so slight delay was eating my last syllable. By the way, this doesn't happen when using VOX, as long as you don't have the VOX delay too short. But I don't usually use VOX. I have an 8 year-old boy with an energetic voice that often trips the VOX!
  • Richard - MW0XDT
    edited December 2016
    Fine business Ken!...my quick fire foot will need a lot of educating...many years with the same rhythm makes for a tough habit to break! 73 Richard MW0XD....!!!
  • Dan -- KC4GO
    Dan -- KC4GO Member
    edited November 2016
    @ Ken  --- Regarding VOX
           Enjoy the kids while you have them. I remember those days(no VOX). Now I can use VOX all the time but miss the kids and grand kids a lot. All in Colorado, long way from Florida. 

• Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Sounds like we need a configuration parameter to add a delay to the release of the PTT circuit?
  • Richard - MW0XDT
    edited December 2016
    Yes, that would be superb Bill
  • W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Richard, on key-up you have reversed the process. The foot-switch is enabled before you start talking so it isn't a problem. However, some contesters would could find this latency objectionable and problematic in the heat of battle!
  • James Del Principe
    James Del Principe Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Is it possible that you are releasing the PTT in anticipation of the end of transmission?   I sometimes do this with the grip to talk switch on my D104 connected to a Heathkit DX 100B and that has no SW latency (not that I know of. HI HI )     73, Jim
  • Richard - MW0XDT
    edited December 2016
    Yes I think they would indeed!
  • Richard - MW0XDT
    edited January 2017
    Possibly so Jim!....maybe I just can't wait to hear the next great report for my flex 6500! Hi hi
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Are we on cw?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.