Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Atu values in smartsdr

Can't see resulting atu values as we could in powersdr. As i recall with my flex 5000 and powersdr i was able to see thr results of atu, it showing me the swr for instance. I cant find that option in smartsdr. Trying to determine why i can receive so well but folks dont respond to my transmissions. Atu shows success but putting a swr meter between my 6700 and the antenna, pegs the swr indication. Help. Jim

Answers

• Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    If an external SWR meter indicates an excessive SWR then you have an antenna problem. The ATU is able to get a "match" that affects only the SWR that the transmitter sees. The ATU does nothing to change the antenna.
  • James Madden
    James Madden Member
    edited May 2018
    Thanks ive just ordered a dummy load . I'll put this ob the antenna cable nearest the antenna to see whats up. Jim
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Jim, if I could offer one bit of advice. Stop. Breathe. Read the manual thoroughly. Decide what you're trying to accomplish, research what that looks like, then start fresh with a minimum setup on one band, with just the radio and a simple antenna made properly. Get the thing working, then move on to the next after clearly defining your goals and understanding the physics involved. It seems like you've been careening from one issue to another and buying a heck of a lot of stuff out of reaction. Maybe it's time to regroup and get a stronger grip on your installation requirements?
  • James Madden
    James Madden Member
    edited May 2018
    Thanks George. Good advice. I live in a community and because of aesthetic issues my cushcraft R9 antennas are located 100 feet and more from my radio. I dont have the flexibility to mount antennas closer. Thus i think placinga dummy load where the coax connects to the antenna and using my shack swr meter will give me data i need. What do you think thanks so much Jim
  • Bill  /  VA3QB
    Bill / VA3QB Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I have an Ameritron RCS-8V remote antenna switch out at my tower. On one of the port's I have a 1.5 kW dummy load. So I can test my cabling that inside and that runs to my tower. Bill
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Or for that matter, FlexMeter will display SWR digitally too.

73, Jay - NO5J

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.