Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

ATU memory on 1.6.17

Chuck - KJ6HT
Chuck - KJ6HT Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows

ATU memory does not appear to be retained in certain circumstances. If you tune to a frequency, (7.076) for example. Confirm MEM indicator is lit and select ATU, the ATU matches, and the "Success", "Mem" indicators are lit and both the ATU and MEM button are lit. Confirm match by selecting the TUNE button, SWR is low.

Here are a couple of ways I observed the issue.

Select MEM button, the "Byp" indicator lights and the MEM and ATU buttons go dark indicating that you have bypassed the ATU. Select MEM button again, the "Success" and "Mem" indicators are lit as well as the MEM and ATU buttons indicating that the ATU memory has been recalled. Select the TUNE button, SWR is high, you now have to complete another ATU cycle.

Start over again by confirming MEM indicator is lit and select ATU, the ATU matches and the "Success", "Mem" indicators are lit and both the ATU and MEM buttons are lit. Confirm match by selecting the TUNE button, SWR is low. With the pan-adapter zoomed out, drag the frequency flag higher or lower in frequency until the "Byp" indicator lights. Now drag the frequency flag back to the exact frequency you started. The "Success" and "Mem" indicators are lit as well as the MEM and ATU buttons indicating that the ATU memory has been recalled. Select the TUNE button, SWR is high, you now have to complete another ATU cycle.

If you change frequency by direct entry on the frequency flag or by memory the issue does not occur. It seems that the ATU going into bypass (Byp) is the common factor.

Comments

• NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    First thing that comes to mind ... ATU power level is very low. Tune button power is adjustable. Set the tune power level to match the ATU level, about 10 %, then retest. Any difference?

When the ATU seems not to work, do you hear the relays click when you expect them?

ATU settings are per antenna. Is the TX profile changing during your test? Can you verify the TX antenna is constant during your test?
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    The ATU power is set automatically and cannot be overridden.

This behavior seems to be incorrect for the ATU.  I will write this up as a defect for further investigation.
  • Chuck - KJ6HT
    Chuck - KJ6HT Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018

Dave,

Thanks for the reply. The tune power was set at 10% (10 on the slider). The TX antenna was not changed nor was the TX profile, both remained constant throughout the test. I do hear what I would normally expect from the ATU relays.

The ATU functions correctly overall, it seems to be more about the ATU memory recall after transitioning to bypass.

I also completed a factory reset, it did not change the issue. I want to avoid retreating to the previous load but I do not believe the issue was present on 1.5.1

• Chuck - KJ6HT
    Chuck - KJ6HT Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Thanks Tim! It's a little late for you in the lone star state but I appreciate you being there.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Yes, there will be several long days this week ;-)

I have confirmed both behaviors described and written up your problem post as two separate defects for further investigation  The first one is #2280 and the second one is #2281
  • Wayne VK4ACN
    Wayne VK4ACN Member
    edited January 2016
    Im noticing also that atu memories arent being remembered when I change bands.  Even though MEM button is pressed
    If I change bands I have to redo the atu.

73  Wayne
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    I have added this follow report to our bug tracker.  Thanks
  • Drax
    Drax Member
    edited January 2016
    I've been having the same issue with 40 meters as well.  Jumping between CAT/DAX auto selected TX slices causes the ATU to be on, but not tuned correctly until I force it by clicking the ATU button off then back on.
  • W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Yes, something has changed. Setting the ATU on 15-meters, changing mode or band and then returning ... not quite matched anymore. Almost matched .. but something has changed and a slight mismatch exists.

• Chuck - KJ6HT
    Chuck - KJ6HT Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016

Tim,

Is there a way for users to get status of the defects you report from the support page?

• Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    No.  Our bug tracker is not available for public consumption.
  • Les Brown
    Les Brown Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    I'm also having the same problem. I have 2 antennas, antenna 1 for 40m and antenna 2 for 20m. I'm using 1 panadapter. When I switch bands and come back, the ATU has lost its setting and I have to redo it.
  • Les Brown
    Les Brown Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Further to my last post, I downgraded to 1.5.1 and verified that the ATU performs as it should.

I have noticed another difference between 1.5.1 and 1.6.17. I don't know if this was an intentional change or not. With 1.5.1, when I type in the frequency change directly for the slice to move from 40m to 20m, the antenna changes automatically from antenna 1 to antenna 2. However, with 1.6.17 the antenna does NOT change. It only changes when I use the 'band' tab to change bands.
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    I've noticed the same.. have to really pay attention.. if I have 2 or more pan adapters opened each on different bands, switching between them to TX sometimes yields a high SWR.  So I have to retune for that band and all is good until I switch to another pan adapter on a different band.  I can hear the ATU try to set to the corrected tune but not quite right and results a high SWR again... 

Tim any chance this is corrected in the new version coming out?
  • W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
     v1.6.19 RC 2016-01-22
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    #2905    Fixed issues with the ATU not recalling memories after bypass correctly

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.