Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

ATU Bypass on and off

Dave Dave
Dave Dave Member ✭✭
edited February 2018 in New Ideas

If theres a way I cant find it ...... a ATU Bypass on and off switch.

Only way im finding to put the ATU inline is have it tune first.   What am I missing????

Comments

• K0UNX
    K0UNX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Check PP 73-75 in the SmartSDR Manual for a complete description of how this works.
  • Dave Dave
    Dave Dave Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018

Manual is wrong, well it leads you to think different then software actually does.

If I press ATU it tunes and says success, if I press it again it goes to bypass..... great.... but if I press it again it retunes.

Need a in/out button.

• Kg5dwx
    Kg5dwx Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Agreed, I have an ATU (SG-230) on a longwire at the feed point (I never use the flex ATU) and a vertical that I use the ATU in the flex on. 
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016

Pressing the ATU button does not toggle the ATU into bypass mode.

When the ATU is off, it is in bypass mode indicated by the ATU button not being illuminated.

The manual says..

Press the ATU button to initiate an ATU tuning operation.  The ATU will set the power output to approximately 2W on 6m and 10W on all other bands during the tuning operation.  

The ATU will tune until it either achieves a successful impedance match as shown by the SUCCESS indicator, leaving the ATU button illuminated indicating that the ATU is engaged or that the ATU cannot achieve a successful match, shown by the SUCCESS BYP indicator leaving the ATU button unlit indicating that the ATU is not engaged (in Bypass mode).  

Note that if the ATU determines that being in Bypass provides the best match, this is a successful ATU operation.

Pressing the ATU  button while in Bypass mode, will initiate a new ATU tuning operation.

• Dave Dave
    Dave Dave Member ✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Yes that's how it works but it should work differently, ATU should simply put the atu inline and lite the button, If already inline then it should bypass the atu and unlite the button and there should be a button that initiates a ATU tuning.
  • Alan Nusso, N4BV
    edited August 2015
    I agree. It should be redone, very confusing and awkward. Also when you turn off the ATU button and leave the Mem button on, it says Byp Mem, What does this mean? My understanding is to go into Byp both buttons need to be off, then it just says Byp. A definite change needs to be made!
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Also when you turn off the ATU button and leave the Mem button on, it says Byp Mem, What does this mean? 

I recommend that you review the SmartSDR for Windows Software Users Guide, Section 21 - How to Operate the ATU.  It has the answers you are looking for.  It shows all of the possible states and what the buttons and indicators show when in those states.

The MEM button enables ATU memories.  That is it.  Nothing more.  It has nothing to do with the state of the ATU.  When enabled it will save ATU memories and retrieve them when an ATU tune operation is initiated.

There are  two states for the ATU; enabled or bypassed.  

When the ATU button is illuminated, it is enabled.

When the ATU button is not illuminated, the ATU is bypassed.  The bypass state is reinforced by the green BYP shown in the status indicator.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    It all works fine here and not so hard to figure out, A good design I think.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.