Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Array solutions RX Front End Protector in RX loop?

WX7Y
WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
Not knowing the internals of the Flex 6700, I was just wondering if it would help protect the front end from over load and damage of the 6700 from close by Hi power stations during field day or a next door neighbor Ham running full legal power by installing a "AS-RFFEP RX Front End Protector" in the "RX Loop".

I know this would help extremely if it's installed in front of the RX only Jack and the RX only Antenna if I had one.

I have it connected now in the "RX A loop" and I see about 1S unit of signal loss which isn't bad if it's helps protect the Radio.

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited April 2019
    All FLEX-6000s incorporate an overload protection mechanism that will switch the SCU out of the RF signal path if the input level approaches the point of damaging the ADC.
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    with no schematic, it's hard to guess...i still use an external rx antenna box...since I don't know what's going on inside the box...

• Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The internal reverse power protection kicks in at about +20 dBm +/- a couple of dB. The front end protector won't hurt but you may not need it.
  • Lee
    Lee Member
    edited March 2015

Thanks Tim,

I was wandering when I run some of my vintage gear if it would ever hurt the Flex 6500...sounds like you guys got it covered.

Good engineering...

Lee

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Thanks Tim and Gerald for the info from the top source. 

I think for now I will keep it in line to see if this makes operating around the high RF environment better or causes any anomalies to speak of.
    I have heard the SCU protection Relay trip more then once here.

73's guys and have a good weekend.

Bret
    WX7Y

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.