Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Are there Apps coming for iPad and LAN Remote ???

K6NOK- Bill
K6NOK- Bill Member
edited December 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I hope that this question isn't too redundant, but....... Does anyone know of any Apps either already out there, or coming that will let us use the new LAN remote features coming in the next SmarSDR release when it arrives?? Thanks.

Answers

• Mike - ZL1MRC
    Mike - ZL1MRC Member
    edited January 2019
    Also MAC support would be good as well :)

ZL1MRC - Mike
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    The K6TU iPad APP already works over the LAN. I used tall the time.
  • EduardoCarvalho
    EduardoCarvalho Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    My understanding is that the K6TU apps only allows you to control the radio, without audio capabilities. I am guessing the question is more related to having an app that allows full operation with audio capabilities. Any idea if K6TU is planning to add audio capability to his app? Or anyone else planning another app? Eduardo - KC8R
  • Paul Christensen, W9AC
    Paul Christensen, W9AC Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019

Hopefully, 1.4 will expand on even better connectivity for mobile devices on a LAN.  From the replies here, it seems the majority of Flex owners don't (or won't) believe their 6K series Flex will work over a LAN today, including DAX audio routing when SSDR is loaded on a *Windows O/S device* like a Dell Venue Pro tablet PC.  When the Flex 6K and a PC are each connected to a network router, it already *is* a LAN based system.  True, CW with paddles doesn't work yet, but I don't believe that's yet implemented in the forthcoming v1.4.   Correct me if I'm wrong.

Another point that's being missed regarding v1.4:  It's likely that LAN operation is being improved not just for LAN operation, but to implement a portion of the code needed for v2.0 WAN.  I have to believe that much parallel coding is happening right now.  IOW, I can't imagine that Flex is optimizing LAN coding without also a getting a major head start on 2.0.  What they may really be working on is the 2.0 piece and not so much the 1.4 piece, if that makes any sense? So, it could be that much of 2.0 is in 1.4.  To me, that's the only reasonable explanation for the time being taken on 1.4 since a good deal of LAN is already a part of 1.38.   

Paul, W9AC

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Slightly off-topic, but KY6LA and I, and I'm sure others, operate remotely daily. I just finished a 20m JT65 contact from my seat on a jetliner on the way to work. Listened to 20m SSB in my rental car via remote last week. Flex Net from my den. Remote operation is real, and the network-friendly design of the Flex rigs truly helps. 1.4 will (soon) improve things even more., both from a performance and usability standpoint. I suspect W9AC is right and the guys are focused on improvements now with an eye on the future. Yeah, this is cool stuff. Better than reverse auto patch! Cheers, all...
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Paul, you are right.  Using your 6000 rig remotely is possible today with in place technology.  I have used my 6300 many times this way.  The only issue is, all current solutions are a kludge.  There are also some very striking timing issues that frequently develop between what is heard via DAX and what is being seen on the Pan Adapter.  Those should not be reasons to keep you from working remotely as you want, but they are a pain.

Most are wanting an elegant solution which is tailored to the task at hand.  Custom Software, built specifically for the task, is almost always a better solution than forcing disparate and unrelated software to work in a manner in which they were never designed.
  • Dan -- KC4GO
    Dan -- KC4GO Member
    edited March 2018
    While I don't own an I-Pad I have an Android Table, took it to my radio club last week and showed off WSPR TX/RX on 1 band and RX on 3 with my 6500 including RX audio, changed TX  band selection while I was there. Also brought up the WSPRnet.org WEB to show the connections made. Put it on the projector and showed the club.  I used TeamViewer 10 with their audio. Used FlexRadio CAT and DAX to setup the connections to the radio. It's been indicated that Skype audio is better but haven't got that figured out on the table yet. Work In Process.  So even with the current limits we can find ways to workaround and make do. I have a great trust that FRS will deliver this ability on their own ASAP. In the mean time I'm having the most fun I've had with Ham Radio in years... I bold RADIO because I also listen to a lot of HF activity Aviation, Military, Utilities and SW Broadcasts just to name a few. I set them up in Profiles and select them remotely from the Tablet. This with no third party software written for the FlexRadio 6500. 

Dan --- KC4GO
  • K6NOK- Bill
    K6NOK- Bill Member
    edited February 2015
    Lots of interesting comments and I do appreciate them all.

My hope is that someday I will be able to purchase a single APP, load it onto my iPad, and then be able to fully operate my 6300 remotely on my LAN with the iPad. As far as I can tell, at least at this point, V1.4 gets me half way there, when it arrives.

I guess that I can only hope that some very smart and knowledgeable folks (Much more so than me!) are working on an APP like that for iPad (and all types of tablets for that matter) that and will reach that goal eventually. The promise of this capability is one of the major reasons that I bought a Flex 6000 series in the first place. :)

Thanks again for all the info and comments.

K6NOK - Bill
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    "I just finished a 20m JT65 contact from my seat on a jetliner on the way to work."

Geeze.  And Delta makes me put it away when I play Angry Birds on my iPad.  :)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.