Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Apache Labs ANAN-200D a competitor?

Answers

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Interesting Berry, thanks....
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Really Sal? You hope it remains open? I was kinda wondering why last call hasn't been made yet. "Last Call" is what they do, or did, in bars about 30mins before they'd kick everyone out and lock the doors.

@Bill, were you going to tell me something, ask me something, or discuss something with me?
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    That's outstanding Barry, thanks for sharing!
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes I will Walt I have your info here

• W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    You will note this communication precisely explains what I posted, and addresses none of the short comings.  So I would ask once again why would you buy a radio that is designed opposite from where things are going in the HPSDR world?  What you really need is a SBC with a 4 gb ethernet port and a radio with a 4gb ethernet port a small cheap FPGA to handle things like CW and the biggest honkin ADC's you can afford.  This is exactly what is going to occur to Phil one day and all you ANAN 200 owners are going to be left holding the bag.  

73  W9OY  
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hey Lee, between you and Walt, I just don't know...lol
  • np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Ah a crystal ball approach Who knows maybe all of us will be holding that bag.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Not likely. SDR is strong these days, and Flex has been around many years. And the 6000's are still developing strong on a secure and great platform. I will hang my hat on that....
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Bill- it is what it is.  You can buy a radio based on your hatred for Flex and run around in a terrorist mask thinking that's cute, or you can buy a radio who's business model is based in engineering reality and help advance the state of the art.  The thing that cracks me up is this "new architecture" is precisely the architecture Gerald came up with that proceeded to get the ball rolling in the first place, computer <--> radio dongle <--> antenna.   Now it's going to be computer <--> computer <--> radio dongle <--> antenna.  You sure as **** don't need a $4500 radio dongle to make this scheme work

HPSDR was never intended to be a commercial or production enterprise.  It was always intended to be a hobbyist, small boards, wires everywhere, "hey that's interesting let's change direction" kind of proposition.  The ANAN boys did to HPSDR what Genesis did to Flex, basically ripped off their hardware, started production in a foreign country where they couldn't be touched, and hoped to God they could continue to "borrow" the intellectual property, hours of work and risk capital of HPSDR or Flex.  It's not the kind of business model I would sink $4500 into.  To me it's very flimsy, bordering on thievery.  As far as I know only one guy is left coding PowerSDR_mrx, and Warren ain't getting any younger and neither is Phil.  I'm all for hobbyists advancing the state of the art, 100%++  I'm not so much OK for someone ripping off the hardware and then selling it as a bona fide' commercially developed product to hams who aren't quite sure what the heck is going on and ding dongs in terrorist masks.   Doesn't pass my smell test

73  W9OY
  • np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    I am so glad you are venting. This was suppose to be a simple comparison. And basically it really doesn't,t matter It was not intended to give any one room to slam any product . But you surly have issues Oh yes rip off.s. Did the cart do it or did the horse ????? Again who cares . Since only flex can look into their "software ". You really cannot compare I'll bet if you could look you would see very similar events. So please calm down. Flex or anan doesn't need your defensive help. It would be nice if you had disclosure before you posted .
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I actually do Walt. I am learning from the conversation. I filter what I find out of context and try to learn from the rest. For example I find that both Lee and Barry bring interesting information. Plus I think it is great for Flex to get a feel for the understanding the public has of the technology and what is being done in other fronts.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Steve and Gerald started the code for SSDR them selves, it was not taken from anything that was out there before hand. Brand new. So no it has nothing similar to HDSDR other than Flex created the code for that too.
  • np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Listen please bill WHO CARES All that was asked was which compares Not anything else . Not Defensive or aggressive comments nor the like. (I firmly believe there was no contest implied) And if you could look at Flex software there would be similarities to just about any software out there. Or visa verse To any . Again Who cares !! You are able to listen to 80 Meters in the evening so Listen to them complain that it has been 2 years and still no fully functioning radio . Again Who cares. For sure They do . For me While I wait for flex to provide ( And I will reinvest in Flex ). I am having fun with something else that is presently working.(Guess ??? its a QRP radio ???) Nah!! Life is too short for QRP .
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Just keep having fun there. I know of vary few complaining. As far as I know the only thing not completed on the Flex as of now is the noise mitigation and wan
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Actually as I recall it, Gerald wrote the first software in VB and Bob and Frank added their expertise and then Eric was hired and W5GI came on board.  Then it was about making kits and flipping resistors and IC's in bins and trying to have circuit boards manufactured etc.  It was to me an amazing and creative time.  One day I went to bed with a single loop AGC and the next morning I woke up to a radio with a dual loop added by Phil.  The radio is still like that.  W9GR walked up to the boys at a hamfest and a couple months later we had a brand new incredibly effective speech processor based on his CESSB design.  

As far as Flex giving us what they think we need, in fact they give us what we ask for, and they provide the interfaces and API's so if there is something special you want you can write it yourself.  The system is not closed as you imply. in fact it is supremely customizable.  Last Dayton a vote of users was taken whether to do pre-distortion or remote base first, and the vote was overwhelming for remote base, and so they gave it to us.  It turned out that was a MAJOR undertaking of which I am fully aware since I'm on the Alpha team.  We spent a whole lot of time getting that right.  The result is a guy I know in ZL land bought a 6500 last week and in short time had his 6500 working on 4 different computers in his home.  He was quite tickled with the result.  Personally I find that amazing since it took me 2 weeks and a whole lot of hassle YAHOO GROUP to get my ANAN 10 to be recognized at all by my computer.  There are complaints about DSP so Flex is in the middle of addressing those concerns, and trying to go one better as far as performance.   

As far as calm down, I am deadly calm my friend.  I just don't think you can take having your mask rubbed in SDR reality.  You don't like it when someone stands up and overtly responds to your **** shots.  I reviewed some of your other posts and as far as I can see you are not there to add light to a discussion but politics.  Perhaps I'm wrong and of course that is your right regardless.  If you are here to add light then forgive me.  I'm not quite sure what you mean by disclosure?  The thread went to: not many own both radios, and I happen to own both brands and have extensive experience with both brands and the history of how they developed.  I would hope people find this interesting, insightful and maybe useful in considering a purchase even if you don't.  
  • np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    I am so glad you know all that ancient history And it also explains your position. Again Who cares . And I really don't care about Dayton which do you want Remote or Pure signal. Remote should have been the very first thing that was provided as it does set what has to come. If they did this first Then this massive re rite to make it work would not have been necessary . I wonder how many Pre buyers would have stuck around with a box that the on off button would only work . AND Yes AND pure signal will not happen with the 6000 So again who cares. I suggested that you compare the 6700 with any of the ( D ) radios nomenclatures . This would be a correct match since the diversity ability puts it in an entirely different category Since the 6300 does not A poor choice . And the listing was for a 200D WO2X wrote a very fine comparison un biased and direct. (He has Both) And even his review should be altered as one of the differences was Pure signal Which (Those old useless open source programmers ) made the Attenuation automatic . You see it really doesn't matter Which is better as both are similar but different. And in 2 more years who knows ?? I really want Flex on top. By the way it took me 30 minutes to get this one going You should have called me for help.
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    my ANAN 10 was used and the previous owner had hard set the IP to something undiscoverable by windows.  He was like one of those HPSDR experimenters you know, turn all the knobs to the right kind of guy.  The brainiacs on the yahoo group kept telling me to "change the IP address" which I couldn't do since the radio was undiscoverable and therefore no way to communicate with it.  What I had to do was probe the IP subnet and set that subnet to a IP port in windows and then it worked.  Easy solution once I stopped listening to the ANAN experts   
  • np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Well There is a load of right turn guys out there . The ANAN documentation is as vague as Flex HI . Thank God for DUDDLY And there are a few "ANAN experts out there too" See all this **** doesn't matter . What does is success , So go back to work so that 2 years will be shorter .
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I agree Sal. I just finished an email on that very subject. I don't think referring to a competitive technology or embryonic one is bad, any more than things that might germinate new idea to be incorporated in the existing platform or used as initial features in a future platform. Competition is good, it advances the science, the technology, and the consumer is the primary recipient of it. However, I think I've said all I can on the subject. Believe it or not, I am not into drama or arguments about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. You likely won't hear much from me in the future.
  • np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    By the way I looked at the open source SDR early programs Yes Gerald is there along with Every one else "CONTRIBUTORS" . He did not stand alone . But even this doesn't matter .IT's Just a clarification . Open source names the contributors in the programs . Today Flex code in the 6000 series is all theirs And cu-dos to them. And Today HPSDR has very little of original code. two different directions for our enjoyment .
  • W1AEX
    W1AEX Member
    edited February 2018
    The only objective review of both platforms that I have seen was done by Peter Hart G3SJX for RADCOM who reviewed the Flex 6700 and the ANAN-100D together. It's an excellent comparison of the functionality of both SDR platforms. The review is in the October 2014 edition and was referenced by Peter K1PGV in this thread here at the Flex Community:

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/did-you-see-peter-harts-radcom-review-of-flex-6700

Although the original question mentions the ANAN-200D there is no operational difference between the ANAN-100D in the review and the ANAN-200D. Like all the ANAN rigs they are FPGA centered and they both use the same RD100HHF1 PA board used by all three ANAN 100 watt rigs. The dual receivers in both models use two ADC's that provide diversity reception if desired. The ANAN-200D utilizes a larger FPGA and offers software switching of a few hardware options whereas the ANAN-100D requires that you manually set a few jumpers on the mainboard to initially set these preferential options.

The review offers the usual measurements and numbers we expect to see in a technical article and both the Flex and the ANAN are looked at closely and fairly. Both SmartSDR and OpenHPSDR have evolved quite a bit since the review so you have to keep that in mind.

Hart's review concludes that:  "The Flex-6700 and ANAN-100D are both excellent fully-featured and high performing SDR transceivers at the top end of a growing range of models from FlexRadio and Apache Labs. Supported by software packages that are continuing to evolve adding more and more functions, both bring a new dimension to operation on the amateur bands."

Flex owners will feel good about Hart's review and ANAN owners will likewise smile as they read about their investment. Both competing platforms are excellent and between these two offerings there's got to be something for anyone looking for some SDR fun.

Rob W1AEX

• np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Thank You Your the best
  • Greg Johnson
    Greg Johnson Member ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    This will Make everything change. Science and technology in harmony on this design. Owning both means your always cheering for the home team! Greg kc8iir
  • np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    YEP a win win
  • Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    I wonder if the same question asked on the ANAN forums would yield different opinions?
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Where is the Anan forum equivalent to this one?
  • np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    I asked (Small sample opinions)
    "the 5000 in 2009 has more features than the 6700"
    "there was over 400 user complaints in one day "
    "There was 1000 user complaints "

"So there is no comparison "

I have edited some of the results so please forgive me . Also these comments do not reflect my opinion . to answer EA4GLI these came from ones (Multiple) that read this forum as a direct e mail to me. And I also get e mail from comments that are made on this forum from just about every corner of the world Most never post here so they vent their opinion .
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    So miss leading so funny. I remember some a guy named Garry saying one night to his sheep that there were hundreds of problems reported on this site. What he failed to say was that included a few years ago up to now.

Your agenda is interesting, but hey it keeps us entertained here.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Definitely not the answer to my question. It was a very simple question that should have received a very simple answer starting with "http://"

Over 400 years ago, Cervantes wrote in Spain a book called "El ingenioso hidalgo Don Quijote de la Mancha" , Don Quixote in English. There is a part of the book where Don Quixote tells Sancho "They bark, then we ride".

I feel that is the way with Flex Radio, they must be doing something right when so many come here to "bark". I don't see/read anyone here or elsewhere bashing Alinco... they have an SDR radio.... 

I think ANAN exists because of Flex, and Flex will improve because of the anan community and any others that support the development of SDR. As a matter of fact, the only reason Anan will get better is if FRS pushes them to do so. Without competition there won't be ingenuity to be better.

Elecraft has been a wake up call for the japanese brands, look at the weapon of choice for contesters and expeditions. SDR will be for all the heterodyne based radios out there which are so boring (even the new ones).

I think reading both sides of the argument on the different Flex or Anan camps sometimes brings tidbits of information that I wasn't aware of, and I appreciate that. But I am sorry to see the thread going into a fanboy match, like the all too common Android vs Apple threads all over the internet.

Ultimately NP2G, in my opinion you are doing a disservice to Anan with your all-over-the-place comments. I don't want to start a fight, I am just voicing my personal opinion like you are doing with yours. And we both have FRS to thank for allowing us to do so here. 

I think this forum, its users and ultimately, all SDR companies, will greatly benefit from a more mature and insightful discussion instead of a "mine is bigger than yours" type of discussion.

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Dumb comment NP2G,,Steve just corrected your statement, that's that..lol

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.