Apache Labs ANAN-200D a competitor?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
How does this thing stack up to the Flex 6000 series?  A real competitor?  It uses the PowerSDR base though.

https://apache-labs.com/al-products/1034/ANAN-200D-HF---6M-100W-ALL-MODE-SDR-TRANSCEIVER.html
Photo of Drax

Drax

• 99 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Walt

Walt

• 236 Posts
  • 75 Reply Likes
The only single source review I have seen for both the Anan and the Flex is by AB4OJ

http://www.ab4oj.com/test/reports.html

And I think you can try both sets of software in a 'Demo' mode so there should be enough info out there for you to decide what radio you will really like the best - or head to Dayton next month to try them both out on the floor.

Have fun - new radios are always fun.
Photo of W3DCB

W3DCB

• 87 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
There is NO comparison between the two radios.  There is a reason why it is shown next to a coke can.  The Anan, while it is a nice radio, is more of a hobby grade radio.  Comparing it to Flex signature series is not fair to Anan.  Look at the relays; coil size, etc., of the Flex.  No expense was spared in the design and configuration of the Flex radio.  They are in different leagues...just my opinion.  de W3DCB
Photo of Ernest - W4EG

Ernest - W4EG

• 609 Posts
  • 117 Reply Likes
Just as I said on my letter to the ARRL review of and the comparison of the ANAN to the Flex-6x00 series radio. 
"Is like comparing a tube radio to a crystal set radio." 
Photo of sky

sky

• 47 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
W3DCB: Your post is unfair and inaccurate. Just by virtue of your contemptuous remark comparing the competing Anan to a soda can displays you emotional prejudice.  The newer Anan 200D provides serious competition to the 6700 and at a far lower price point.  Competition is good. Very good. It promotes technology development and its evolution while driving prices down.
(Edited)
Photo of Ernest - W4EG

Ernest - W4EG

• 609 Posts
  • 117 Reply Likes
What planet are you in Sky?

The Anan radios are not even in the same class...

The Anan 200D HPDSR can not even be compared to a Flex-5000 PDSR series radio. Never-the-less compared to the new SmartSDR Flex-6x000 series radio.

The Anan is a nice hobby radio.  Finally, the Anan 200D requires aligning the transmit power into a dummy

Be inform when making such a ridiculous statements.

Oh, by the way you misquoted me or perhaps you do not know the difference between a tube or a crystal radio either!
Photo of Steve - KD8QWT

Steve - KD8QWT

• 74 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
I actually considered the ANON-100 while I was researching a new SDR.  My first exposure to the ANON radio was at Hamvention last year.  I was underwhelmed with booth, especially after seeing the FRS booth.  Not that I make purchasing decisions based on one's booth, but it did reflect a stark difference in the level of excitement between the two.  I spent countless hours researching my options and lurking in forums and reading reviews.  In the end I decided to stop researching and pull the trigger on the the 6300.  There are a few technical reasons I decided on the 6300, but in the end I felt more comfortable with the history of Flex, their direction, and the level of  support they provide.  Although I've only had the 6300 for less than a week, I'm even more certain I made the right decision.

I'm sure there are others that can provide a detailed point by point technical comparison between the two.  For me, a radio is far more than it's technical specs.

Photo of Dave - W6OVP

Dave - W6OVP

• 317 Posts
  • 100 Reply Likes
>In the end I decided to stop researching and pull the trigger on the the 6300.

Same here.
Photo of Steve N4LQ

Steve N4LQ

• 568 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
I'm a CW op. QSK is important to me and I understand that the Apache doesn't have it. That's a deal breaker for me. The rest is fluff.
Photo of Lee - N2LEE

Lee - N2LEE

• 320 Posts
  • 166 Reply Likes
I looked very seriously at the Anan and while PowerSDR has a lot of nice features, what caused me to go for the Flex was a number of issues.

1. Flex as a Company
When I looked at the two companies, I felt Flex was a better long term solution. Their involvement in Government and Commercial business told me a lot about the quality and stability of the products.

2. Hardware
The Anan hardware is very touching and no where near the build quality of the Flex 6000 hardware.
There are a number of reports of crosstalk, RFI and other issues.
In fact some users take the board and build them into a new case with better shielding.
I consider the Anan more a science project than a full developed, plug-in play radio.

There is nothing wrong with this but you need to be more of an experimenter thats all.

3. Software
Some might look at the open source as an advantage and while there is some pluses, in the long run I think Flexes approach of building a business around their software platform made more sense to me.

The Apache Labs model seems to be based on software they do not have any control over. 
This puts them in a precarious situation because as a hardware manufacturer they depend on development from the open source community.

Flex's approach of building their own software that can take advantage of current and future hardware gives them much more stability as a company and in my opinion as a product.

While some have complained about Flex's release cycle, the opposite is true for the Anan. It seems like they not only have patches and bug fixes every week but also firmware updates. I prefer to have a STABLE platform and when features are ready and tested they are released.

4. Development
Powersdr has been around a long time and so it is feature rich. There is no doubt it has a lot to offer and this is a big draw for some users. But, in the long run I believe the software Framework Flex is building will have a much longer lifespan. Even Flex admitted that PowerSDR was getting awkward because of the way features keep getting added and added over time. I also get a sense listening from to the Anan users that they are seeing the same thing.

If you listen to most Anan users the ONE feature they talk about over and over is Pure Signal. Frankly it's an obsession and you would think its the only feature that is important.

So the bottom line is after a lot of research I found the Flex platform to be a more stable long term solution for MY needs.
Photo of Norm - W7CK

Norm - W7CK

• 759 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Too bad Powersdr couldn't be used with the 6000 while we were waiting for SmartSDR to be developed.  Not much of a reason to consider it now, but 2 years ago it would have been pretty nice....
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
Well, first off, it's software, I am not sure a 1GB nic isn't faster than a USB2. The other more beneficial aspect is in the chassis the actual radio is Linux. If they went there (PSDR requiring Linux), I would have bought 2.
Photo of IW7DMH, Enzo

IW7DMH, Enzo

• 356 Posts
  • 87 Reply Likes
I preferred the new Flex Signature mostly because they can demodulate signals by itself; this really cut out any latency issues, like already said Steve. Virtually you don't need of a personal computer to get sound from these new rigs. You need only a thin client software like SSDR, and it doesn't need of powerful computers. Also new Flex uses open ethernet protocols so, in the next future, you will use a Flex rig with most of the new Operating Systems. Probably features like NB and NR aren't (in this moment) at the top performance, like in PowerSDR, but this is only a momentary gap.

'73
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
Well, of course, you are are choir members. The person to talk to about the 200D is the same guy that was berated, belittled, and run out of town on here, who owns a 200D now and was struggling about whether to sell his Flex. Yes, they do appear to talk a lot about the PureSignal, for awhile was big talk on here as well, except the 6000 doesn't have it..... However talking about PureSignal should be viewed sort of with the same lens as discussion about the "FLEX'able Advantage. One, however, is a feature, the other a state of bliss. Hopefully Ed will show up to discuss QSK.

Aside from that though, for those who worship at the alter of Sherwood, they are likely about the same. It is a small, almost irrelevant, distinction whether the computer is the radio or the computer is the control over the radio. By having the computer be the radio, faster chip, more memory, better radio. We already had the conversation about the benefit of having a defined ceiling on capacity.

@Lee, "I consider the Anan more a science project than a full developed, plug-in play radio". FRS has acknowledged 1.5 is their science project. Predistortion filter, it wasn't that long ago it was a theoretical paper with a small proof of concept, now it is part of the radio. Many people have acknowleged their purchase of the Flex was precisely for the science project aspect of it. By definition, just as PSDR was a work in progress (still is by the open source community) so is the 6000 engine. People bought the premise it isn't done growing up yet.  You bought a Mustang, I bought a Challenger. You won't win any arguments trying to say the Challenger sucks, simply say you like Fords and let it go. This shouldn't be a religious war.
Photo of Lee - N2LEE

Lee - N2LEE

• 301 Posts
  • 154 Reply Likes
Walt, maybe I should have said the hardware is more of a science project.

Also this is not a war, the key is defining how you plan to use a radio and apply the features need to your decision. I outlined my decision making process, that doesn't mean its right for everyone.
(Edited)
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
Lee, I did not mean to imply you were making it a religious war. There are those on this board that do that though. Someone who buys something else, someone who wants a hard, physical, through it in your suitcase remote head, are somehow misguided. I've seen in print on here Flex 6000 owners that didn't truly love their radios didn't deserve to have them. It is that righteous indignation on the part of some and the silent acquiescence by others that, very much, at times makes this sort of discussion a religious war.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3787 Posts
  • 913 Reply Likes
( I've seen in print on here Flex 6000 owners that didn't truly love their radios didn't deserve to have them.)
That comment was made by a couple members and does not reflect the collective thoughts of most on this site.
Also keep in mind this is a place were Fexers come to discuss.To be sure as soon as people talk about their reasons for buying their Flex they would be called members of a Choir or fan boys. So be it than.
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
@Bill, there is nothing wrong with liking the Flex. I've never said I disliked it. I do, however, dislike the UI. Before I ordered the 6000 I was told by a FRS employee that the 6000 series, unlike the 1500, 3000, 5000, would not require Microsoft Windows to run. While that is, in a strict technical sense, a true stmt, as delivered by FRS it is patently false. SSDR for Windows strongly implies there will be a SSDR for Mac, or Linux, or Android. In order for that to happen someone will have to do a trademark violation to use SSDR in their product's name. I won't disclose how I know that, suffice it to say I know that. As it happens, I can mitigate the UI problem. Again, some people like Chevy's, some people like Fords. As for the thick client/thin client debate. If you ask a software person, SSDR is also a thick client, just smaller footprint than PSDR. RHR is a thin client. Within the next year, I will put out a thin client for the Flex 6000. Right now I am focusing on a highly portable SSDR. Of course, nothing is more highly portable than a web app that runs in a browser, be it Firefox, Chrome, or even IE.

My point was this. If someone says, I purchased my Flex because:
1) it requires a smaller computational footprint than the prior FRS products.
2) it has a much more robust filter system than the competition.
3) It is made in the USA
4) it has a more sensitive receiver than the competition.
5) It reflects the state of the art for radio technology.
6) It has virtually unlimited potential for a third party UI

those and more like those are all valid technical reasons. If, however, the rationale looks like this:
1) the competition sucks.
2) my flex radio is dreamy
3) I have a distinct advantage dxing because of  Flex perfection
4) I imagine the Flex code has to be beautifully elegant <- I actually heard that on 40 mtrs
5) The employees of FRS are the smartest people ever.

well, I'd expect to hear those comments and rationale from a .... And that is choir-speak. One can't have a rationale conversation with people ascribing to that justification.

You said, "That comment was made by a couple members and does not reflect the collective thoughts of most on this site". I might agree except, as I said, "It is that righteous indignation on the part of some and the silent acquiescence by others that, very much, at times makes this sort of discussion a religious war".

I would very much like to see others challenge the rhetoric and derisiveness of those that engage in that discourse.
(Edited)
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3784 Posts
  • 1637 Reply Likes
DRAX

Before you make any decisions, I suggest you might want to read my presentation on SDR-101

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10740053/Modern%20Radio%20SDR-101%20V2.pdf

Basically the ANAN Product is a 2nd Generation FAT Pipe SDR

The Flex 6000 Series is a 3rd Generation Thin Pipe SDR

In my professional opinion, you will likely see in the near future most 2nd Generation SDR products like the ANAN start to migrate to a 3rd Generation SDR Platform..  The difficulty they face for such as migration is that they will have to write software from scratch.. a daunting task as Flex has shown...

The ANAN is not a Direct Competitor for the 6000 series as it clearly serves a very different market.

If you want to save a lot of $ and have time an energy to do a science project yourself, then the ANAN might be what you want. 
Photo of Greg Johnson

Greg Johnson

• 8 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes

I have to say, I have both in my shack. They both have ups and downs. The Apache qsk is the least of my issues and I operate cw 99%. If I was mandated to only own one, I would choose the one with best audio on weak signals. Both of these rigs are built well. its not quality. Both are unique.

Most flex only operators have been spoon fed misconceptions about the Anan. pure signal and slices are always big buzz words In this hobby. sell what you have. its business.

Greg kc8iir

Photo of Barry N1EU

Barry N1EU

• 495 Posts
  • 124 Reply Likes
Like Greg, I tend to consider the ANAN more of a worthy competitor.  Flex wins on lower latency, quality of construction, and support.  ANAN wins on current software state (e.g. PSDR features, Pure Signal, etc) and price, esp. for dual diversity receivers.  I don't buy the fat/thin pipe difference - OpenHPSDR is actively developing a thin pipe adaptation by inserting a low cost high performance single board dedicated computer (e.g. Jetson TK1) between SDR and PC.

Flex is a more "finished" product than ANAN, stemming from its experimental/open-source roots.  That being said, some folks actually prefer the experimental/open-source experience but most probably don't like that level of tinkering, esp. with computers.

Barry N1EU
(Edited)
Photo of Mark Gottlieb

Mark Gottlieb

• 107 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
The ANAN was very tempting to purchase when I was considering the upgrade from my FLEX 3000.  However, it became a practical decision for me.  For equipment this expensive, I wanted the customer service conncetion that FLEX offered in the USA.  I have had good experience with the folks in Texas whenever I did have a question.  I purchased the FLEX 6300 and have not been disappointed.  
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3784 Posts
  • 1637 Reply Likes
@Barry

You are just confirming what I said in that with theJetson board the Anan will be Evolving from a 2nd Gen SDR Fat Pipe into a 3Rd gen Thin Pipe SDR. But clearly it is a work in progress.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3981 Posts
  • 971 Reply Likes
The thin client and thick client is very important. With thin client, in the future Flex will be able to take the Flex places that Anan simply can't follow with thick client. For this reason, and it seems clear Anan knows they are soon hitting a wall. That's why they also see thin client as important for their future. I think this is what may bother me about buying an Anan. In order for upgrades they have to keep building and installing parts, change out boards, make more cases to house things.
Photo of Barry N1EU

Barry N1EU

• 495 Posts
  • 124 Reply Likes
Walt, you have to click on the "View Previous" to see the nonsense reference.  The software being developed for the Direct Fourier Conversion/Fat Pipe OpenHPSDR architecture is brand new and is not the hacked multiple copies of Powersdr that N2LEE suggested.

Barry N1EU
Photo of Barry N1EU

Barry N1EU

• 495 Posts
  • 124 Reply Likes
Walt, you have to click on the "View Previous" to see the nonsense reference.  The software being developed for the Direct Fourier Conversion/Fat Pipe OpenHPSDR architecture is brand new and is not the hacked multiple copies of Powersdr that N2LEE suggested.

Barry N1EU
Photo of Barry N1EU

Barry N1EU

• 495 Posts
  • 124 Reply Likes
(sorry, I tried to edit my comment and instead ended up with a duplicate post that it won't let me remove)
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
It's OK Barry. I've done that too, most embarrassing (it was for me). I don't really follow the HPSDR subject. Personally, from a user perspective I think PSDR made more sense. However, from a product life cycle standpoint, the radio is in the box makes FAR more sense which is likely why FRS did it. This is why there are marketing departments, to sell the package.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3981 Posts
  • 971 Reply Likes
Walt did you see my question to you?
Photo of W7NGA

W7NGA

• 451 Posts
  • 190 Reply Likes
This allegiance to a radio and manufacturer is sophomoric. My Flex 6300 has a beautiful receiver, but I find the transmitter problematic in several areas. Listening on the bands and on several nets, I sometimes cringe when I hear such poorly sounding Flex 6000 series transmitters on AM. Listen to the 20-meter Flex net objectively and be really critical. Yes, there are setup requirements that ameliorate problems, but my listening and comparisons exemplify that the ANAN modulation sounds better .. generally.

I am far more interested in the receiving section and user-interface and therefore made the decision as I did.

dan  W7NGA
San Juan Island, Wa.
(Edited)
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3981 Posts
  • 971 Reply Likes
I can't speak to all the check ins on the 20M net. But I talk to several people each weekend with their Flex 6000's and they have some of the finest audio on the ham bands. But they did take the time to get them that way. Most of the Anan's that do sound very good are running a lot of audio gear before the radio, virtual audio also. It all depends how we set them up and EQ them.
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
I actually like the recieve audio on the 6000 and have received many praises on the quality of my audio when I do operate SSB. I only tried AM once and got politely brushed off, not because of the radio but because I was trying to do AM on 100 W and the group of AMers was saying that I really needed to be pushing power behind the signal as I was sporadically fading into oblivion and just over the noise floor best case. But I don't pretend to be an AM aficionado.
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1571 Posts
  • 772 Reply Likes

The ANAN series of radios hasn't caught my interest enough to open my checkbook. 

The Flex-6000 has - and enough to buy two.  (I didn't want to drag a 6700 with me on weekend excursions, so I bought a 6300 to do that).

Greatly respect the teams behind and using both. 

These are co-existing options, neither which is going to threaten the other in the marketplace. 

That many hams have both is a direct reflection that enough product differentiation exists to make both successful.

How either works for a particular ham is more about the ham than the radio.

Here is my personal take and decision making - YMMV and it really should vary:

Overall I do consider the Flex-6000/SmartSDR to be 'leading edge" in full production product, rather than a mixture of "bleeding edge' and cobbled-legacy in the ANAN/PowerSDR+ combination.

I'm also much more comfortable with the 6700/6300 being supported & operational rigs 5 & 10 years from now than the HPSDR/ANAN radios.

Realistically I don't consider myself "techie" enough with enough free-time to really extract what I get from the Flex-6000/SmartSDR from the ANAN/PowerSDR+.

As an added plus the people I've met from FRS are people who I'd like to work with and make me feel comfortable with what I've purchased and that they will get to where they say they are going. 

I've yet to have a chance to meet the ANAN team, which if I had might be a reason to add an ANAN.  Can't say though.

YMMV and never lose sight that if a radio inspires you to enjoy the hobby, then it is by at least my definition "A Good Radio."

Steve K9ZW

(Edited)
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
"How either works for a particular ham is more about the ham than the radio."
"if a radio inspires you to enjoy the hobby, then it is by at least my definition "A Good Radio"
Amen brother! And if there is a technical difference of 1db on the noise floor or 3rd order dynamic range, is anybody going to hear that difference?
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3981 Posts
  • 971 Reply Likes
Walt, funny thing, I wrote an article that touched on this subject. People say things and emotions run high as they feel they must justify spending so much money on a radio.
Photo of Steve - KD8QWT

Steve - KD8QWT

• 74 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Justifying a purchase after the fact is a loosing battle, especially in the electronics world.  Buy the best you can afford and enjoy it.  There are many more important things to get emotional over than a radio.
Photo of Andrew Russell

Andrew Russell

• 278 Posts
  • 44 Reply Likes

Cognitive dissonance 101.

Any discretionary purchase like this must have an emotional component the "I want it". I have sometimes found it takes a while to find a car I want enough to pay for over that old one I have.

But when I saw a colleagues' 27inch high resolution monitor I just had to have one too. It looks great with 4 pans.

The Flex products are a better fit for my limited discretionary time. Andrew VK5CV

Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
Totally agree Bill. Frankly, I think I see some of that on here, "me thinks the lady doth protest too much". I think those that vociferously try to justify what is clearly a subjective opinion are rationalizing... Steve, totally agree with that too.
Certainly most people on here don't care about their underlying OS, the computer allows them to surf, email, social media, etc; it's an appliance.  Up until two months ago, it was a livelihood. I realize my chief complaint only resonates with a handful of people on here. As I said, I can mitigate that to a large extent. Would a person content running Microsoft Windows toss SSDR to run what I release? I am not sure I would but, those that aren't happy with a forced uSoft environment or those that want more functionality likely will. The proof of the pudding....
Photo of Greg Johnson

Greg Johnson

• 8 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes

I think that flex has a nice concept going with the thin client. That is how they manage. The fat client is like the new electric car that has a motor over each wheel that no one understands how it works. Psdr is just not the same. If it was, it would work for existing flex radios. psdr will be replaced most likely with a transmit version of cusdr.

The fat client focuses on a few things thin clients cannot compete with, and thin clients focus on a few things that fat clients cannot do.

Enter the gigabit protocol for fat client, now you have 3 x the information moving in that pipeline. A set of processors that evolve with each new computer purpose. With the addition of the add on computer to take the info from the whole spectrum and put it into a server based network solution protocol will allow the most basic Anan to have 7 open receivers with one dac .

I don't consider these radios to be in competition with each other. They are both different. Enjoy the strengths of each. The software used to write for the fat client is open source and moves much faster. This is why it evolves so fast.

I have never had a unsolicited good audio report from the flex. I have from the cw side.

Greg kc8iir

Photo of Lee - N2LEE

Lee - N2LEE

• 283 Posts
  • 148 Reply Likes
Steve in my opinion it's just, if not more important to buy a Company more than just features. Feature check boxes come and go with ever product release but if the company that is developing the product is going left and you are going right then in the long run it doesn't matter if they have the right number of check boxes.
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
While I do agree Flex has some very smart people, they don't corner the market on very smart people. Their size presents challenges. That is one of the reasons I expect to see the 7000 sooner rather than later.
(Edited)
Photo of np2g

np2g

• 271 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Hope the 7000 will be fully functional. And like all computers a quantum leap from one to another.
And yes. There is a very large case of the smarts out there just waiting to be taped
(Edited)
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3618 Posts
  • 871 Reply Likes
I have not any information about a Flex 7000, were can I find it.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3618 Posts
  • 871 Reply Likes
Still no information on the 7000 radios, can you please send it to me, I'm interested.
Photo of np2g

np2g

• 271 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Since very few have had both in front of you .There is very little difference except the HPsdr is more mature.

There is a absolute great noise blanker . The latest version is SIFI WOW

There is a absolute great Pure signal function and there is a working Diversity rec far less than the 6700 /

Now I liked the GUI on the flex and when it i s fully functional I will return.

This said it would need a vast improvement on the transmit imd . It would need that 1.5 noise campaign

AND it will have to network better than the Cuda project . Did I say cost less .

To those who say the software is Flex re=run Better look and see what little is left .

I look for CU SDR Another visual event .

For me it is about ME making determinations of what I like and How I set it up not what flex thinks I need

Sum it up They both are fantastic . Which is better if determined tomorrow who knows
(Edited)
Photo of David Decoons wo2x

David Decoons wo2x, Elmer

• 1466 Posts
  • 310 Reply Likes

I've got both the Flex and 200D. As others have stated, I feel the two radios serve different demographics.

The Flex 6000 series advantages

• Better construction
  • Thin client requirement
  • Easier to set up and get on the air (much less configuration settings than PowerSDR mRX)
  • Factory aligned. Power out is linear from1 to 100 watts
  • Native LAN remote with no third party software
  • Full QSK break-in

Anan 200D Advantages

• Open source software for those who want to tinker
  • Pure Signal (see comments below)
  • Two ADC's allow multiple rx'ers on two antennas simultaneously
  • Excellent Noise Blanker and NR2

I've found with Pure Signal that you adjust attenuation for the power out you are currently running. If your power out on that band changes, you need to readjust the attenuation. Also, the Anan 200D requires aligning the transmit power into a dummy load and also calibrating the S meter. Even after calibrating the power out, some bands at 50 watts drive are off by as much as 12 watts! Not as linear as the Flex.

I feel the Anan is geared towards the experimenters while the Flex is for people who want a more "plug n play" radio.

SDR Bridge has added a new dimension of operating with the Flex 6000 series with integration to both CW Skimmer and RTTY Skimmer.

It is a good time for SDR enthusiasts :-)

Dave, wo2x

Photo of np2g

np2g

• 271 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Great info Dave.
I however do say similar construction.

And yes running pure signal does require one to pay attention to details. Defitinely not appliance operator compatibility

For all the dynamic capability of any sdr is fantastic
Photo of Lee

Lee, Elmer

• 680 Posts
  • 287 Reply Likes
I have a 6300 and a 100D.  I like the 6300.  I ran them shoot off style for close to a year and the only thing I like better about the ANAN is diversity.  Both are strong radios but I find the implementation of PSDR to be very outdated in its approach.  The 6xxx is FAR superior in regard to its ancillary suite of software DDUTIL SDR-Bridge FRStack Writelog etc.  The software designers in the 6xxx series are far more responsive to community suggested improvements in the radio.  Pure signal is certainly at present an ANAN advantage but the 6xxx eventually will implement that as well.  The Flex software's feature set grows at a MUCH more rapid clip than the ANAN stuff and in my opinion given the publication of the API's will in fact become the premier hobbyist radio as well.

Much of the ANAN's hype is just hype.  It has a big FPGA but the software guru's are moving the radio's software/firmware guts off the radio and onto a single board computer which will have a barely adequate data pipe between the radio and this new computer.  If that's the case why do you need a big honkin FPGA?  I can easily see this architecture shift rapidly outgrowing that data pipe's capacity.  So where is the disconnect, how did this happen?  Anan designs hardware with a big expensive FPGA and the software guru's decide they don't like coding FPGA code so they "S" canned the architecture.  This is why it's called an "experimenters radio"  

The radio IMHO is at best a promise.  It's a promise on which a good deal has been delivered but not all that much.  Pretty much it's not much different than the F5K I bought half a dozen years ago.  I've seen 14 receivers "promised"    The 6700 has actually delivered on 8 receivers.  It has no internal tuner and it DEFINITELY needs a tuner.  You are totally at the whim of the hobbyist system developers since ANAN just sells hardware.  If your favorite developer flips a clot into his left main coronary artery your radio just froze in time.  The left main is called the widow maker and that clot just made your radio a widower.  This is the reason the 6xxx series costs more,  You get commercial hardware and commercial software and commercial support.  With the ANAN you get a Yahoo group with a bunch of retired military swinging peckerwoods who are full of wives tales about how to get your radio running and maybe one or two who have a clue.  I speak from experience.  (I can say that since I'm retired military.)  There are actually 2 yahoo groups.  There used to be one till politics and ego's got in the way.  Given this state of affairs you need to be very clear the 4500 you pay to ANAN buys a piece of hardware and nothing more.  I understand there is like one guy in the states who can maybe fix the thing if it blows up, otherwise its a trip to India.  

73  W9OY
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3848 Posts
  • 929 Reply Likes
It's ok I see what Lee's point really was, it had more to do about moving from a legacy radio to SDR, even as many legacy radio's still perform well.
Photo of Steve - N5AC

Steve - N5AC, VP Engineering / CTO

• 1055 Posts
  • 1080 Reply Likes
N2PG: As the 6300 is missing most of the architecture that makes the 6500 or 6700 better 

As tempting as it is, I'm going to stay mostly out of the larger discussion, but this statement is simply incorrect.  The architecture of the 6300 is identical to the 6500 and 6700.
Photo of Steve - N5AC

Steve - N5AC, VP Engineering / CTO

• 1055 Posts
  • 1080 Reply Likes
N2PG: As the 6300 is missing most of the architecture that makes the 6500 or 6700 better 

As tempting as it is, I'm going to stay mostly out of the larger discussion, but this statement is simply incorrect.  The architecture of the 6300 is identical to the 6500 and 6700.
Photo of np2g

np2g

• 271 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
I might be confused i guess diversity receive In the 6700 is also available in the 6300 and 6500 .

I know one of your stumbling blocks on pre distortion was the manual attenuation function .
This objection has been overcome by the open source guys .

The adaptive pre distortion now has auto attenuation function .
Hands free. Yep.
(Edited)
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3848 Posts
  • 929 Reply Likes
Dumb comment NP2G,,Steve just corrected your statement, that's that..lol
Photo of Steve W6SDM

Steve W6SDM

• 625 Posts
  • 283 Reply Likes
I looked at the ANAN but just couldn't see myself buying a radio that was blue.  :)
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
Oh Bill, have you not been following me for the last year? I am hurt. This is why I don't have a facebook page, what would I do if nobody showed up? Quick aside, the "don't like IBM?" comment is, in software, Blue == IBM. Well, for those that go back that far.
Yes, Bill, I am. I've been in development and architecture for 43 years. Now my sights are full time on this project. After I figure out how to do a YouTube video, I will introduce it. I was hoping to do that next month in Dayton but it won't be ready in time. Actually, I shouldn't say full time, I did, after all, buy the radio to actually transmit on.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3765 Posts
  • 907 Reply Likes
I am just trying to understand this is all, sounds interesting, I would like to know more some time
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
I gotta ask though Bill, why now? What prompted you to ask?
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3765 Posts
  • 907 Reply Likes
I need to talk off here Walt, it will make sense to you
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
(Edited)
Photo of np2g

np2g

• 271 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Which is better . It really doesn't matter.
I just got tired of waiting.
So in the next 2 years or so ill just suffer

(Edited)
Photo of David Decoons wo2x

David Decoons wo2x, Elmer

• 1466 Posts
  • 310 Reply Likes
But the receiver passband doesn't line up with my timezone.
Photo of np2g

np2g

• 271 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
But it will display gray line
Photo of Barry N1EU

Barry N1EU

• 495 Posts
  • 124 Reply Likes
I know this thread has just about run its course.  But I just received a rather full explanation of the new OpenHPSDR/ANAN DFC architecture from VK6PH that I wanted to share here. 

73, Barry N1EU

DFC (Direct Fourier Conversion)  
DFC is intended to extent the Fat pipe architecture to the extreme  (‘like drinking from a Water Main!’) in that the entire SDR hardware to PC interface  bandwidth is used. 

What is holding back more open source SDR development is the specialised skills necessary to program an FPGA.  If they can eliminate the DSP processing in the FPGA by moving all the DSP  to a Single Board Computer (SBC) or PC then the number of potential programmers who can contribute increases significantly.

DFC  effectively directly connects the ADC and DAC to the SBC/PC and all processing is done on the SBC/PC.  The ADC data is immediately applied to a Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) that processes the entire HF spectrum in real time.   Individual receives are generated by selecting the appropriate range of FFT bins.  The number of receivers implemented, and their features, is then solely limited by the SBC/PC processing power. 

This architecture is not new – just an alternative approach to the DDC/DUC that virtually every ADC based SDR is currently using, This architecture has been possible since the 1980’s – if you had a Cray supercomputer!  Well today we have the equivalent in GPUs on a low cost Graphics card.

With the DFC approach a SBC will have to be 100% dedicated to the SDR task – you will not be running any other code on the board.   However, the required processing power is available via a dedicated, low cost, SBC and in the current development they are using a  sub $200 Nvidia Jetson board.

As cheaper/faster SBCs become available these can be upgraded  relatively inexpensively.  The Jetson board, running Linux,  initially simply emulates the openHPSDR protocol so that PowerSDR etc software (running on an Windows PC connected via Ethernet to the Jetson board) can be used directly for development and testing.  This will be extended in the future to become a full server so that a ‘thin pipe’ interface to a tablet/cell phone/PC can be used.
Photo of Lee

Lee, Elmer

• 680 Posts
  • 287 Reply Likes
my ANAN 10 was used and the previous owner had hard set the IP to something undiscoverable by windows.  He was like one of those HPSDR experimenters you know, turn all the knobs to the right kind of guy.  The brainiacs on the yahoo group kept telling me to "change the IP address" which I couldn't do since the radio was undiscoverable and therefore no way to communicate with it.  What I had to do was probe the IP subnet and set that subnet to a IP port in windows and then it worked.  Easy solution once I stopped listening to the ANAN experts   
Photo of np2g

np2g

• 271 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Well There is a load of right turn guys out there . The ANAN documentation is as vague as Flex HI .
Thank God for DUDDLY And there are a few "ANAN experts out there too"

See all this crap doesn't matter . What does is success ,

So go back to work so that 2 years will be shorter .
Photo of np2g

np2g

• 271 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
By the way I looked at the open source SDR early programs Yes Gerald is there along with Every one else "CONTRIBUTORS" . He did not stand alone .

But even this doesn't matter .IT's Just a clarification .

Open source names the contributors in the programs .

Today Flex code in the 6000 series is all theirs And cu-dos to them.
And Today HPSDR has very little of original code.

two different directions for our enjoyment .
Photo of Greg Johnson

Greg Johnson

• 8 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
This will Make everything change. Science and technology in harmony on this design. Owning both means your always cheering for the home team!

Greg kc8iir
Photo of np2g

np2g

• 271 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
YEP a win win
Photo of WA2SQQ

WA2SQQ

• 500 Posts
  • 126 Reply Likes
Barry this is all very interesting, but in the end the progress of the product is only as good as the team behind it. I enjoy my 6500 as it serves the purpose I got it for - to talk with fellow hams. Just as I drive an auto for transportation, whether it's a Toyota or a Corvette, in the end my butt will get there. We are fortunate enough to be able to buy anything we want.i agree that this debate has run its course so let's get on the air and enjoy our hobby!
Photo of EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

• 1782 Posts
  • 547 Reply Likes
I find the information provided in this thread very interesting with the exception of some odd entries and some out of place comments.

I really don't find information about these SDR platforms on regular ham radio magazines as pertinent and insightful as some of the things I have read here.

I hope the thread remains open a bit longer.
Photo of EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

• 1782 Posts
  • 547 Reply Likes
I actually do Walt. I am learning from the conversation. I filter what I find out of context and try to learn from the rest. For example I find that both Lee and Barry bring interesting information. Plus I think it is great for Flex to get a feel for the understanding the public has of the technology and what is being done in other fronts.
(Edited)
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
I agree Sal. I just finished an email on that very subject. I don't think referring to a competitive technology or embryonic one is bad, any more than things that might germinate new idea to be incorporated in the existing platform or used as initial features in a future platform. Competition is good, it advances the science, the technology, and the consumer is the primary recipient of it. However, I think I've said all I can on the subject. Believe it or not, I am not into drama or arguments about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. You likely won't hear much from me in the future.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3849 Posts
  • 929 Reply Likes
Walt that is interesting. I wonder how many angels can dance on a head of a pin. Maybe we can keep this going another week on that...lol
Photo of Dave - W6OVP

Dave - W6OVP

• 314 Posts
  • 99 Reply Likes
If everyone stopped posting, this silly thread would go away.  It's way past time to shut it off and make the children go outside and play.
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1241 Posts
  • 479 Reply Likes
Hams are quick to NOT practice what they preach. Telling others to not do what they do.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.