Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

anyone using a kpa500 amp with their 6000 radio?

Reggie-k6xr
Reggie-k6xr Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows

Answers

• K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I am using a Elecraft KPA500, KAT500, and W2 with DDUTIL 3 and the 6700. It works perfectly. Since we've been having ATU issues with the 6000, I have it disabled and have been using the KAT500 exclusively. With DDUTIL, this combo works great. The output of the 6700 is currently less than you select, so I have to set the power from the 6700 higher than on my 3000 in order to hit maximum output. I have the TX A output from the 6700 attached to the KAT500 PTT connector.
  • 5Z4EE
    5Z4EE Member
    edited August 2013
    I use it with the Flex 6500. No control cable is required other than the coax and the relay connection from the transceiver. The KPA500 detects the frequency input from the transceiver. About 40W drive is required for full output from the amp. I use a Palstar HF-Auto tuner.
  • Reggie-k6xr
    Reggie-k6xr Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    thanks for all the responses!
  • Keith - AE5XN
    Keith - AE5XN Member ✭✭
    edited February 2014
    I'm using the KPA500 and KAT500 as well with my 6700. They all work flawlessly together. As 5Z4EE noted, you just need to set the RF Power slider in SmartSDR to no more than 40 watts, and you're good to go. The only hookup I have between them is the RCA TX line (TX1 from 6700 to KAT500 TX, then the KAT500 TX Out to the KPA500's TX IN). I use the Elecraft utilities to control both if I need too, since that is also how you update their firmware. Keith - AE5XN
  • Kent Hufford
    Kent Hufford Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    How is the W2 connected to the setup?
    thanks,
  • Wim
    Wim Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Also have the KPA500 and just have the RF cable between the flex and it, my foot switch 
    goes to the PTT input of both
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I'm using both as well and they work great.  I highly recommend using DDUTIL.  It will help to prevent you accidentally driving your amp with 100 watts.  You can set it up so that DDUTIL will drop the 6000 power output to a predetermined setting (20 watts in my case) when the amp is in OPER mode. When in STBY, the 6000 will be instructed by DDUTIL to run at 100 watts.  Quite cool I might add.  There are a lot of other nice features with DDUTIL as well.  FRSTACK is another great application. It gives you the ability to scan frequencies - great for 2 meters.  It also lets you set the squelch while operating in SSB for each slice you have open.  These are two wonderful tools!
  • Wim
    Wim Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Hi Norm,
    do you mind posting some settings screen shots of how you have DDUTIL configured.
    The auto power setting for when the PA is on is indeed usefull
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Do you guys use the ALC line between the Flex and the KPA500? Just got my KPA built last night - very nice.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Not I George. It works fine. I do have an issue with ddutil starting and stopping the amp so I just use the on off buttons manually. I also have ddutil set up for controlling supply wattage based on band and it works fabulously for 30m where full on power is the same as tune, 12w, which produces a perfect 200w out. I use the kat500 outbound of the amp to control tuning for 160, 80, 40, and 30.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Thanks, Walt. No DDUtil for Mac, so am exploring options. May not need to worry.
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I don't use the ALC line either.  DDUtil takes care of making sure the output of the 6700 is held back to 22 watts when the amp is in OPR mode. 

I have only ever had a problem with starting or stopping the amp when the USB cable was not plugged all the way in on the amp or the tuner.  Otherwise it has been flawless....
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    i use KPA500 with a LDG AT-1000pro tuner with flex 6300 and various Mac.
    I dont use DDutil.
    I have used ssdr running vmware fusion and also run dogparksdr.

I take advantage of low tune power setting and the ability to tune TX1 on and off

simple procedure
    1. turn OFF  TX1...this disable the amp from being keyed
    2. click tune...this applies about 25watts to the tuner and the amp..
                       .amp uses freq to determione band and tuner does auto tune function
    3. turn ON TX1...back a full power

i have done this remotely on my wifi LAN in the livingroom using macbookpro

someone on the group has setup a profiles to turn TX1 on and off
    but
    you dont need to use profiles as radio setup makes it available in both ssdr and dogparksdr

simple to do..only three clicks...click click click..done....

paul K3SF

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Sounds good, guys. Thanks.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.