Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Anyone using Simon Brown's SDR Console with DAX I/Q?

Barry N1EU
Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
edited February 2018 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I'm not even sure it's possible, but is anyone out there using Simon Brown's SDR Console software with Flex 6K DAX I/Q as the input source?  I'd like to use its data record/play functionality.

http://sdr-radio.com/Portals/2/Images/Console/Screenshot-2015-04-09-181410.png

73, Barry N1EU

Answers

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016

Hi, Barry!

I second that..think it's a terrific idea.

Jim, K6QE

• Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I'm looking through the SDR Console documentation and it doesn't look like it will support a raw I/Q stream.  So I think HDSDR or SDR Sharp may be better options.  I played with HDSDR a bit but was unable to get a CAT connection to work.  I guess I need to go back and work on it some more.  It would be nice if someone made a step-by-step guide to configure some flavor of I/Q recorder that will work with Flex 6K.

There's some info on using HDSDR in this conversation:  https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/digital-i-q-apps

(update) Evidently you can't get HDSDR to automatically track the Flex 6K frequency. 

PowerSDR/IF might be another good option.
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Alex, can you possibly provide updated instructions on getting HDSDR to display the correct frequency alongside SSDR v1.6?

Thanks, Barry N1EU
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    No, Barry, I'm sorry. I had it working before, but I have changed my system,
    and I'm not using OmniRig anymore, as CW Skimmer works with SDRBridge
    now.

For recording purposes I use either CW Skimmer to record I/Q or Audacity
    to record slice audio wav files.

I've had no luck yet with other programs. HDSDR displays and records, but
    CAT does not work since I updated to 1.6.21

I'm also very interested to know if someone has written a working
    ExtIO_HamLib.cfg to get HDSDR to run with ExtIO_HamLib.dll !!!

You can download hamlib here: http://www.hdsdr.de/hardware.html

Alex - DH2ID
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    It looks like PowerSDR-IF Stage is not an option since it lacks a built-in I/Q recorder.
  • N9VC
    N9VC Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Hi Barry,

I have SDR console running from the IQ data stream of the Flex.
    Under the home page of SDR console. I chose the Softrock Xtal
    and typed in some 75 meter freq. Then choose your soundcard.
    I had enabled DAX IQ stream channel 1. Choose your sample rate
    and then in the definitions of SDR console where you choose
    the radio, under soundcard, choose DAX IQ RX 1 and same sample
    rate. Choose start and then go. The freq display can be matched
    by looking at the large panadaptor which occupies the lower
    half. At the top. Click on frequency. It opens a window where
    you can choose your band. Then referencing the Flex freq. At the
    bottom of SDR console you can slide the freq to match the Flex,
    or at least, real close.
    Not the slickest, but it works here. And if necessary, I can send
    snapshots of the screens to your email.
    I have not tried to record yet, but just did this in the last
    hour and believe this should work as it is streaming the Flex
    IQ channel.

73, Jim N9VC

• Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Thanks Jim!  I've been able to quickly get this up and running thanks to your directions.  Just starting to play with it.  I'd like to find out how to reliably align the frequencies and calibrate amplitudes.

I've been able to make I/Q recordings but not sure about playing them back.  The software seems amazingly comprehensive though.  Actually, I'm quite impressed - Simon Brown has worked some incredible magic here.
  • N9VC
    N9VC Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Again,

Glad you have it running. At the top where you see
    Home, DSP, Display, etc, click on display and and
    below in the view pane, click on DATA(IQ)Recordings
    and you should be able to click on playback and
    have a window open to choose and play your recording.

73, Jim N9VC

• N9VC
    N9VC Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Barry,

When you have your recording. To play it back
    go up to the HOME tab and click Stop (Radio),
    then when you have the data playback open,
    the controls will be there to enable playback.

73, Jim N9VC

• Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Very cool Jim, I simply had to stop the "radio" to enable IQ playback. 

How does one know what segment of spectrum is sent from SSDR via DAX I/Q?

I see that if I click on the SSDR panadapter and drag it right and left in frequency, this dragging the spectrum is mirrored in my SDRC panadapter.

I sure wish there was a way to automagically link the frequency calibration in SDR Console to SSDR,  

I encourage everyone to play with SDR Console and see how cool it is and how functional the IQ Recorder can be.

73, Barry N1EU
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Info is on SmartSDR DAX

That is the center of the IQ Stream. So in that case it will be 96 down and 96 up from that frequency.
    At least that is how I understand it.

It doesn't matter if you have a slice receiver open because you send the IQ from the panadapter. Which means that you can have 4 slice receivers and 4 IQ streams and potentially listen to 8 frequencies in a 6500, 4 on a 6300 and 12 on a 6700.

If you can listen to several segments of the IQ stream with SDR Console or any other program you could potentially listen to 20 different signals simultaneously.

Pretty cool.

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    The possibility of using the IQ stream externally to listen is really cool with the 6300. You could set a panadapter in 40m with no slice receivers sending an IQ stream to listen to a net. And then have your other panadapter in 20m working split with 1 panadapter and 2 slice receivers. Or open up the panadapter with the slice receivers, listen in 15m and 20m on the same panadapter, have the center IQ stream send a 17m stream to an external program and have the second panadapter opened in 40m or 80m. It makes it a 4 receiver device.
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Thanks Sal!

Simon Brown is a very busy man, but there's a chance he will implement native support for Flex DAX I/Q in a future release of SDR Console.

This software has the best DSP NR implementation that I've ever heard.
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I'm finding that the SDR Console frequency display is always 10KHz low compared to the true SSDR frequency.  No big deal, but it would be nice to get that sorted.  I'd like to eventually use SDR Console as my IQ recorder.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Any progress anyone on being able to record the IQ signal?
    I was recently having a conversation with a colleague that will be monitoring a contest and they want to record the whole IQ for the weekend. It just sucks that I have a 6700 with GPSDO that could provide an accurate timestamp and an IQ output of the whole band and I have no way of doing this.

Some programs allow me to record the DAX IQ but no timestamp or anything like that.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.