Anyone using open wire feed line with Flex 5000 or 6000 series

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
I have been using an EDZ antenna fed with 600 ohm open wire line but have been unsuccessful in stopping 100% of the RF from getting into the system. Some operators can detect a little RF but most don't here any.  So I am looking for other operators mileage with open wire line and the Flex 5000.  I bring the open wire feed line all the way inside to the AT4K tuner and then to the Flex.
Photo of mike

mike

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Reggie-k6xr

Reggie-k6xr

• 413 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
I use a 70' center fed dipole with 300 ohm line to a DXEngineering 1.1 balun outside my hamshack window and then 9' of RG8 to my LDG tuner. It will tune 3.5 through 30MHZ nearly 1.1 all the way.
No RF of any kind anywhere.  The antenna is 40' height. Rig is a 6500.
Photo of W7NGA

W7NGA

• 397 Posts
  • 156 Reply Likes
I run 450 ohm window-line feed to my 172' EDZ. Comes into the shack on RG-213 after a 1:1 balun to a AT2K. Minimal and (manageable) RF levels in the shack even at legal limit via Alpha 89. Flex 6300 has never balked ...

dan W7NGA
San Juan Island, Wa.
(Edited)
Photo of Luis del MOlino

Luis del MOlino

• 45 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Try to place an Un-Un MFJ-915 (lots of ferrite rings) between your Flex and the ATU to force all RF to pass trhough the insidie of the coaxial cable instead by the outside. Put ferrite bed in any other cable connecting your Flex with the ATU to stop RF to circulate trough them. 
That's all.

Luis EA3OG
Photo of Bruce

Bruce

• 23 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Mike
I use a 270' wire up about 60 feet on the ends and maybe 40' in the center feed point. the 450 ohm line does not have a balun;however, my tuner is a doubly balanced Palstar which contains a large balun at the input. 160M -- 10M low swr and good performance for a wire antenna given the several good lobes from the overal length. Ferrite beads on accessories cure any stray rf even when running a KW although I rarely exceed 100 w. The 160 band  with "cloud  warmer" heights is not much for DX but good otherwise. Good Luck!
Bruce N5FD