Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Anyone Using AT-AUTO with Flex 6000 USB?

Paul - K6HR
Paul - K6HR Member ✭✭
Is there anyone out there using the new 6000 series USB with a Palstar AT-AUTO? Specifically, I'm wondering if all I will need is the Flex recommended FTDI cable. From what I've read in both manuals it looks like it should work OK.

Answers

• David Livingston
    David Livingston Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I used my HF-Auto between the amplifier and antenna. Set the tune output on the Flex to 1 watt and the Palstar tuned automatically with no issues. The amplifier sent the amp about 12 watts at this setting. I did not use any other cables. 
  • Dick B
    Dick B Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I have an AT-Auto, not the same as the HF-Auto, but I use a CIV cable because I have an ICOM radio also and control my amp and coax switch using CIV as well.  DDUtil enables it all and Steve even added a macro that enables the "tune and save to memory" function equivalent to pressing the front panel Tune knob.  In DDUtil you use the Passive Listener section of the Port tab and define a "**** Radio".  If you want to go this route email via address in qrz.com and I'll provide additional details.  The AT-Auto does have frequency decoding to operate as described in the prior post (Vintage radio settings) but then you're not taking full advantage of it's memory to automatically tune without transmitting.  **** KF5SA

Just looked at your Web site and you have an HF-Auto not an AT-Auto so I don't know if my approach applies or not - don't know how much Palstar had to change when Don left with the AT-Auto design rights.  
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Sometimes when I get tired of hearing my 6700's automatic antenna tuner relays beating themselves into submission so I put my Flex in Bypass and use my HF-Auto.  If you're not concerned about tuner memories there's no need for any control cables.  The Palstar HF-Auto automatically senses the frequency and does its thing. 
  • Paul - K6HR
    Paul - K6HR Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Thanks to all who have taken the time to reply thus far. I think I should clarify. I'm wondering if I connect the approved FTDI USB to Serial cable from the Flex to the AT-AUTO RS232 port will the tuner follow frequency changes from the radio. (like my 1K-FA does)

I'd like to have the AT-AUTO follow frequency changes via FLEX CAT without the need to TX. Anyone out there using the AT-AUTO (not HF-AUTO) in this fashion?

Ahh! the HF-AUTO in my shack photo, I see how that could be confusing! The AT-AUTO may be used in another station set-up and I was hoping to get some feedback before I purchased it.

Thanks for all your feedback!
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020

I have tested the AT-Auto with USB to serial cable plugged into the radio. It does work fine. I was using Kessler Engineering's 2.14 firmware but should work with the PalStar firmware also.

In PalStar setup make sure to set radio type to Kenwood CAT only, no Ext Tuner I/O. Document baud rate and make sure you select 8,n,1.

In the radio USB setting menu set cable type to CAT and set baud rate.

The advantage of connecting CAT to the tuner is the tuner can pre-tune before applying RF. I had modified my AT-Auto to remove the balun and install a second coax connector. I programmed the tuner to automatically switch antennas when switching bands and also automatically bypass the tuner on bands where the antenna was resonant.

Dave wo2x

• Paul - K6HR
    Paul - K6HR Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Thanks Dave, This is exactly what I was hoping to find out. One question. Did you plug the USB/FTDI cable 9 pin end directly into the AT-AUTO RS-232 port, or did you have to build the cable shown in the manual (for Kenwood radios) to put in between? Thanks again for taking the time to reply!
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020

I used a straight thru DB-9 m/f extension cable from the adapter to the RS-232 on tuner. I had used the same cable previously to the PC com port with DDUtil.

73 Dave wo2x

• David Livingston
    David Livingston Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I bought the kenwood cable from Ameritron and plugged it directly into the ALS-1306. connected the other end to a Nul-modem USB cable. Plug the USB into the Flex. You will also need an RCA cable from the Flex to the ALS grounding relay. There are three of them to choose from on the flex. Connect it to the relay port on the ALS-1306. This will allow the Flex to key the amplifier.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.