Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Anyone using a Wellbrook ALA1530S+ with a 6300?

Answers

• W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    no, but I built one of these:

http://www.qsl.net/m0ayf/G8CQX-Loop-antenna.html

it was pretty decent, for that type of antenna anyway...73, W5XZ, dan

• K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

Flex uses a similar antenna, a PIXEL Loop, at various Hamventions around the Country to demo their Flex 6XXX radios.  Maybe Tim could elaborate on how well it does or does not perform and that will give you a good idea of how a Wellbrook loop will perform with a 6300.  I plan on using the Pixel on a Flex 6300 but have not ordered the radio yet.  (X-mas gift from momma :-) )

regards

Larry  K1UO

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    The Pixel loop rocks!
  • kc7cm radio
    kc7cm radio Member
    edited February 2020

I use a Wellbrook loop for the lower bands and it works just great - I use a PTT line to control my little control box to switch power off the loop when I am transmitting on my vert. wire in a tree.  I live in a very restricted area and so everything is low-profile (I painted the Wellbrook with camo-paint.)

I have heard the Pixel works good too, so do your research and make your choice !

Walt

• kc7cm radio
    kc7cm radio Member
    edited November 2014

Oh - I have a 6500 . . .

• N7CXI
    N7CXI Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    +1 for the Pixel. It doesn't have enough capture area to be a great performer on 160, but for 80-10 it works pretty darn well. I have one on a rotator about 8 feet above the ground.

Jim N7CXI

• Reg
    Reg Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017

I also have a Pixel Pro-1b about 8' above ground level.  When there is a lot of noise on the low bands in the summertime it is amazing.  A noise floor of S7 will usually drop to S2 when I switch RCVR to the Pixel.  On the other hand, when the bands are full of signals around S3-S4, when I flip on the Pixel they jump up to S7-S9.  (It lowers the noise floor but amplifies signals.)  Use of the interlock is a must - the Pixel preamp is switched off when any transmitter goes into transmit.  Yes, the loop is small, but thanks to the 30 dB preamp in the antenna it is not just another loop.  Also, the very deep, very narrow null off each side (3-4 degrees wide) is occasionally useful to null out a source of interference.

Reg

• John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    How has your Wellbrook been holding up for you Walt? Do you use it for diversity reception? I'm considering purchasing something from their lineup. John
  • Manfred HB9FLU
    Manfred HB9FLU Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I use the newest ALA1530LNP Wellbrook loop with my 6300 together with a MFJ 1026 - just wonderful! The Wellbrook is 150m away from my house on a hill.

73 de Manfred
  • Keith Ferguson
    Keith Ferguson Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    I've been using a Wellbrook loop with my 6500 for about 2.5 years - it works very well. I live in a relatively quite area noise-wise, but do get some noise from nearby solar panel inverters - rotating the loop makes it virtually inaudible.

It's on a cheap rotator about 2m above the ground, about 20m from the house.

Keith

• Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    I assume the Wellbrook is receive only!
  • Keith Ferguson
    Keith Ferguson Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Unfortunately, it is!

• Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    This is an interesting thread.  I've often wondered how these small receiving loops work in comparison to say a (low band) dipole at 25-30 feet.  At one time I did some reading on them and came to the conclusion that they were mostly beneficial to folks who lived in an area with high noise.  The loop was then used to null out the noise and make reception possible.

Reading this thread, I'm getting the impression the loop actually may work better than a dipole at 30' even in a somewhat noise-free environment.   Is this true?

Is the loop low angle or high angle or a mix?

Norm - W7CK
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Norm, I just purchased one and like you I was a little skeptical. Installed it with a rotor and believe me it works very well. In my area with no signal the S meter noise reading is about an S7 with the mag loop it's S2. Weak voice signals are easy to make out.
  • Michael Reid
    Michael Reid Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Norm...I purchased a WellbrookALA1530LNP-2 last August...it is up ~ 20 feet on an inexpensive RCA Model VH226F rotor...works beautifully, particularly on 80 meters with lower noise on 80 - 40 - 30 - 20 meters than my Mosley 67C beam up ~ 50 feet for 40 - 6 meters or an inverted 6-inch diameter, 6-wire "cage" inverted V up ~ 45 feet on 80 meters...generally signal strengths are higher with the beam but the drop in noise floor from beam to loop of two to four S units usually results in a higher S / N ratio in the loop vs. the beam or particularly vs. the 80 meter V antenna...loop is on a 2 foot mast above the rotor and is very sturdy...no complaints...
    Mike, K6DRY
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    That's what I was expecting Bob.  The thing that I don't understand is how the loop works in a situation like mine where I have very little man-made noise.  As an example, my dipole on 40m is usually sitting between S2-S3 and seldom up to S4 or S5.  Atmospheric noise on the other hand can get pretty bad during the monsoon season.

Will the received signal on say 80m be stronger on the loop than say a 80m dipole up 25-30 feet?  Once again, most of the time I have very little man-made noise but like everyone else there is the typical atmospheric noise.

Norm - W7CK
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    if you model it in EZNEC, it's an rx cloud warmer...

jm2c...w5xz, dan

• Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Norm, just to clarify, I purchased the Pixel from DX Engineering. Parts, if needed would be less problematic here in the USA.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.