Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Anyone use one of those cheap chinese condenser microphones?

Ria
Ria Member ✭✭✭
I don't want to buy an expensive Shure mic. This is just to letmy kids to talk on the radio. I bought a kit from amazon with a "professional" looking mic, stand and pop filter. If it breaks in 6 months, so be it. I don't have one hand tied behind my back with talent on loan from God anyway...

That said... this is it:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MZCS8MY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Curious to know if anyone used such a setup and how good (or awful) it sounded?

Ria

Answers

• John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Ria, I have used the BM800 for the last year or so on my Flex 6500 and they sound good with some equalization.  I use the model that requires phantom power.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    If you add an in-line phantom power unit you will be surprised how nice these work.
    Something like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/InnoGear-Condenser-Microphone-Recording-Equipment/dp/B00KAPGLQC/ref=pd_bxgy_2...

• ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I think you may be cutting new ground here Ria. ;-).   But it is an interesting value it will be interesting how it sounds and its certainly a fancy set with the boom and all, that actually may be worth the cost in it self.

in the value headset department, John Miller K6MM spoke highly of this set,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00081A2CW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

that is even significantly cheaper than the CM-500.  I have ordered one of these to evaluate as a travel and loaner set.

~Chris
    N6WM
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I have  heard some of these mic's and they sound quite good, more than good enough for ham radio. And for $40 bucks the accessories alone are worth that.
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I use an SB-45 also. +1
  • Milen KG2C
    Milen KG2C Member
    edited January 2018
    I use the Koss SB-45 headset as my primary radio headset and mic and it works surprisingly well, compared to my Beyerdynamic DT770 and my $100 dynamic mic. I've stopped using them in favor of that headset and it gets unsolicited excellent audio reports all the time, and that's only with the very basic equalization of my Icom 7100, so you'll be able to make it sound great. They are often available even cheaper as open box units from the Amazon Warehouse deals program.

It gets a bit stuffy if I use it for a long period, like I do when I do the KC2RC 10m net for 2-4 hours, but it is comfortable and doesn't squeeze my head.
    I had to add a mix 31 tiroid on the cable to avoid occasional RF, but I run 450ohm window line to a non-resonant antenna above the station, so I wouldn't blame the headset for this.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    This one says it doesn't need phantom power. 

OK, upon further reading, that looks like it refers to PC applications. For radio use I'll need the phantom power unit. I'll order one. Thanks. 
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I have the BM-800 (requires phantom power) and it's a great microphone for the price. It is NOT a PR-40 but for the price it is quite attractive looking (gold version). Unlike the PR-40 you will have to talk into it on the broadside facing the label. OK, now sound wise it is much more on the bassy side you will definitely need to EQ it and SmartSDR surely provides for that. It may have been my main microphone if I didn't have the PR-40 and Rhode NT-1, but sure looks pretty on my shelf as a spare :)
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I've had one of these (BM-800) on my K3 for about a year. I'm told it sounds good. I provide it voltage on the mic input from the K3 and use the high gain setting. Apparently if you use phantom power, it sounds better and you don't need as much gain.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Here's something interesting - a fellow took apart a Mic of a well known brand of Ham microphones, and found one of the little inexpensive condenser elements inside. Not surprising, because the little things work pretty well.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I've been watching comparison videos on YouTube. They are mind blowing. The audio is pretty much just only slightly different from the expensive mics and you can correct it with EQ to get it identical to them. 
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Yep, Ria like I said you can EQ it easily to make it sound pretty damm good. The real test is to move away up and down six inches or so and then left and right six inches each way from the BM-800 hotpot. It noticeably varies in sound quality as compared to the PR-40 which is much more consistent.  I'm one of those who tend to move away from the microphone when I get distracted, live headphones would help that but I also stuck a Dorrough Loudness Monitor right in front of me that helps too.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    So by Saturday I should have a full setup. Between the state fair and my other duties here I'll make some time to do a video with it connected to the 6700. I got the BM800, boom kit, shock mount, pop filter, XLR cable and phantom power. 6700 has an XLR jack so it should work really nice. 
  • Milen KG2C
    Milen KG2C Member
    edited August 2017
    I'm looking forward to watching it.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017

Since most everything electronic these days in manufactured in China it should be no surprise that the major Ham Brand Mikes are just relabeled inexpensive Chinese mikes with a higher price tag. 

We found that when we took apart a Heil Pro 7 at Visalia a couple of years ago... Don't know if they improved quality or changed since then.

• Tony Hateley
    Tony Hateley Member
    edited August 2017
    I have 3 of the bm-800 with a little mixer with phantom power,they work very well,get great reports on my 6500,and kenwood ts2000,and my yaesu ftdx3000,you cannt go wrong for the price.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    image Got it yesterday. XLR cables and phantom power arrive Saturday
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I got the phantom power installed. It works great! Everyone gives me good audio reports. Video to follow soon. 
  • Mike - ZL1MRC
    Mike - ZL1MRC Member
    edited January 2019
    Can't wait to see the video. Well done :)
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    >> This is just to letmy kids to talk on the radio <<

So don't touch it again and wait until they are ready !
  • Peter Bentley
    Peter Bentley Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Hello Ria,

Have ordered one in the UK to work with 6700 and Optimod 9300.

Current mic is Rode NTK or sometimes Rode NT1.

I hope the result is not embarrassing ...!!!

G4BIM

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    For the range of voice that you can transmit in 2.4 KHz in SSB ALL microphones are overkill.
    A properlly equalized chinese cheap mic with the necessary gain for your voice and the Flex PROC algorithm can work better than a professional mic.

The RODE mics are very good and for broadcasting, even some music recording, they will be outstanding.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I have been using that setup for about a year and I still like the Yamaha CM500 better.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Sometimes I need a mic rather than a headset.
  • Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB
    Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Doesn't the flex have a setting to include phantom power?
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Ria, a few of us are on 7.192.000 most mornings at 11:00am we should be there this morning as well, Sunday,, come join us,,we want to hear your mic.
    anyone eles can join us as well of coarse.  If the freq is busy we are close buy.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I wish....
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    @Ria I end up moving my head too much, and that makes the headset more efficient
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    There is no 48V phantom power from the Flex. There is only a small DC current from the front mic jack which is not really sufficient. 

Yes, the headset will be efficient for most use but I like having options.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    https://soundcloud.com/rjairam/mictest

Mic test audio. Working on howto video. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.