Anyone running 20 amp linear power supplies for their 6300 or 6500 radios?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
Hi Guys, just getting ready to get my antenna up with my 6500 hooked up to do some testing on the air. Will use my vertical 43 foot antenna in the interim as I await a 7 band hex beam antenna from the UK.

I will get a new power supply soon but wanted to use my Icom 13.8v 20amp power supply for now. I would like to know if anyone else is powering up with 20 amps, maybe I can dial down the RF power.

I know the 6500 is slated as needing 23 amps and will get a 25 amp or higher power supply.
My Bud Sal might have some answers but can't bug him now.

Thanks and 73s
Photo of Raf

Raf

• 27 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1049 Posts
  • 366 Reply Likes
I have been running a Astron 20A for years on my Flex 5000/6300. No problems.
Photo of VA3 RIR

VA3 RIR

• 5 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks for the reply Burt. I think for the most part there is more room than specified power output regarding power supplies. The manufacturers won't have the units maxed out on its maximum power output specification, however we should not rely on that buffer as good Hams lol.
Photo of Jon - KF2E

Jon - KF2E

• 638 Posts
  • 189 Reply Likes
Given the listed max power consumption for the radio is 23amps and the max continuous power from the Astron is 16amps you will likely want to use a larger supply. I suppose if you ran the radio at lower power it would be okay.

Jon...kf2e
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9148 Posts
  • 3466 Reply Likes
Jon is correct.  Just dial down the RF power output to about 80W until you can get a p/s that has the additional headroom.
Photo of VA3 RIR

VA3 RIR

• 5 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hi Jon and Tim, as I did mention in my post ,I will dial the RF power down on the radio. The older linear Icom power supply I have works really well and delivers a clean and stable 13.8 volts. It might very well support the 23 amps the 6500 needs but I will just keep it happy at 80 watts as advised. I will have volt meters monitoring my radios input power full time looking for dips as I increase power, too bad I can find shunted ampere meters here.

Since I am in Barbados for a while where we are at a low risk of hurricane and where the cost of electricity is as high as the exosphere, I was toying of the idea of powering up on 12 and 24 volts. There is a fairly powerful desktop PC running on 20 VDC which I will import. I can run that PC on a regulated 20 VDC supply from two 12 volt batteries but the 13.8 VDC which the 6500 needs might not be met. I could build a regulated 13.8 VDC supply as well but at 23 amps draw it the regulator might run toasty.

Will keep it simple for now until everything is set up flawlessly and running.

Thanks for the replies and input guys.

73s
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 643 Reply Likes
When I bought my Flex 1500, I believe it was Tim, that suggested the Astron SS-25. I don't detect any obvious QRN from it. When I do see noise it is generally at night and the Astron doesn't know night from day. It was purchased with the 1500 but that's because the 6500 was put on order then. Least ways I think you sold me the stuff Tim, it was before you were a full time employee but it was definitely someone living in NC.
Photo of k3Tim

k3Tim

• 833 Posts
  • 163 Reply Likes
If you run SSB, you can get a bank of low ESR capacitors and the linear will likely work with the caps filling in the occasional peak Ic demands.  I did this in a mobile setup, a bank of caps right at the rig and got excellent audio reports. 

If the electric is expensive I'd go the switching supply route as already mentioned.  

You will like the 6500.  I've had one for 3 months now and it's by far the best radio I've had in 48 years of the hobby.

Tim / k3Tim
Photo of Raf

Raf

• 27 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I am a very happy camper guys, I have the 6500 hooked up and I am astonished at the performance. This machine is loaded with features and I must say, it's the best innovative technological advancement ever in Amateur Radio, Flex is Best hands down.

What I will say next applies to me and what I wanted, please do not take this as a suggestion or encouragement to do the same. Why say it still....because I like to share what I do and my experiences.

I was going to use my Icom 20 amp linear power supply to fire up the 6500. As I always do, I checked the output voltage and discovered it was around 16 VDC. I looked inside the power supply and then online at the schematics to discover that it has no voltage calibration. I was disappointed and decided to hook up a heavy duty SUV battery, ie my Land Rover Defender battery to the rig. I installed an inline spade fuse rated at 20 amps and clamped them onto the lugs.

I used my oscilloscope to look at the voltage signal coming from my auto battery smart charger and was happy to find a clean and flat DC voltage. Many chargers sends a half wave signal to charge batteries but mine must have a full bridge rectifier or other electronic circuitry to deliver clean DC charge.

With everything hooked up, the radio fired up beautifully, it did the V 1.4 update glitch free and ran cool. The fans on the radio never went above idle, supply power wires were cold thought out transmission and the battery never took a dip in voltage below 12.5 with the charger off. My next test.. to record the current flow when the radio is on RX and then on TX at full power on battery. Even at 12.5 volts the radio is not using 20 amps during TX at 100 watts, this rig is amazing.

The three benefits for me using a battery....one, having alternative power if we have a hurricane which took down power, two, eliminating some RF and fan noise from a power supply and three, saving on energy cost. The LED monitors are also 12V powered and I will get a PC which can run off of DC too so I can be on HF and VHF sans electricity.

I made quite a few contacts last night and the HAM addiction continues.

73's Guys.
Photo of EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

• 1752 Posts
  • 534 Reply Likes
Hihihi, you are in full force with the 6500!!! Congrats Raphael! Looking forward to having a minute to stop by and take a look at the radio shack. I use the Powerwerx.com SS-30DV power supply and I really like it. It has power poles in the front, runs very quiet and it is tiny. It is a switching Power Supply but it produces no noise.
Photo of Raf

Raf

• 27 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Hi Sal, thanks for the props, I am hooked on the 6500, can't wait to get it mated with the 7 Bander hex beam. Kudos to you for introducing me to Flex, you are a great Amigo.

Do you have the power supply here, never seen it in your shack. I will use the Land Rover battery for now , a few of the Land Rover parts came in today form the UK so a while yet before I get her on the road.

You have to drop by sometime for sure hopefully after I tidy up all the wires and install all that's needed. I will probably install the AC this long weekend.

See you soon.

73's
Photo of EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

• 1752 Posts
  • 534 Reply Likes
I'll go after the ac is up and running! Hi hi hi
Photo of Raf

Raf

• 27 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
If you like cold that much I will take you to Canada :o) The 6500 is running like a charm, not missing a beat. Did a bit of DXing tonight with Casa Blanca Morocco, Portugal, Lebanon etc., with great reports. This radio is running super cool, it's nuts.

Power consumption is amazing too, seems low, I have to see how many amps it takes on full power TX.

I will hopefully have the foot switch and mic hooked up soon. I recorded my voice attenuated with the EQ, did not notice any difference...it might be my voice lol.

See you soon Buddy.