Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Anyone have success in connecting DXBase 2007 to Flex 6300?

Gary  w8vi
Gary w8vi Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I just received a 6300 today and cant figure out how to send info from my old logging program DXBase 2007 to the Flex. With other rigs I could send the date, time, Freq, mode etc. to DXBase via Com ports. I downloaded DDutil_V3  but not sure what to do next.

Windows 10, 64 Bit, Intel I7 HP desktop. Smart SDR v 1.10.16

Thank you for any assistance.

73, Gary W8VI

Answers

• Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Try telling the logger that the Flex is a Kenwood. 

The 6x000 series responds to that command set through a CAT port.

• Gary  w8vi
    Gary w8vi Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Thank you Bob, for some reason I am unable to open Smart SDR Cat program. Smart SDR and DAX are running correctly. That could be the problem.

Also connected a USB cable from the Flex to Com 1 serial connection on the PC. DXBase is not connecting to com 1. Set at 4800 baud and Kenwood TS-480 settings. 

Thanks,
    Gary
  • Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    CAT should start when your computer boots. Try rebooting the computer. If it doesn't start then it needs to be reinstalled. 

As for the USB cable approach, are you sure you have a true FTDI chipset in your cable? The radio doesn't support the chipset of the Oriental knock-offs that are so cheaply available everywhere.

• Gary  w8vi
    Gary w8vi Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I tried another USB to USB cable and Windows does not recognize it either- no beep like when you plug in other cables or new port number. Uninstalled / reinstalled Smart SDR and CAT is not starting. Their is a SmartSDR CAT icon but when you push it - nothing happens.  

Wonder if USB ports are defective on the 6300?

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Gary, You don't use the USB ports. You create a virtual port in SmartSDR CAT, then point DXBase to that port. The CAT data goes via ethernet from the rig to the PC.
  • Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017

Gary,

SmartSDR CAT starts automatically when Windows boots. Look on the task bar at the bottom of the screen and find the Blue "CAT" icon. Click on it and SmartSDR CAT will pop up. From this screen you will see that two ports have been created for you already - Com 4 and TCP 5002. You can use Com 4 to connect DXBase or create a new one.

Craig, KØCF

• Gary  w8vi
    Gary w8vi Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Ria and Craig,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I was able to get SmartSDR CAT to load correctly on a second PC then connected it to the 6300. While installing the Flex VSP Driver Windows 10 "blue screened" and rebooted. Smart SDR then sent a pop up saying that Flex VSP did not load correctly and requested that I install the program again. This time it loaded correctly and now SmartSDR CAT starts up automatically.

Next I tried connecting the CAT's Virtual Com port 4 to DXBase's Com 4 but so far was unable to connect the two but thanks to your help I'm finally heading in the correct direction. DAX and the SmartSDR program are running great with no issues.

Both PC's I tried are HP 8200 Intel I7's with 8 GB ram and running Windows 10, 64 bit. The first PC is for Ham Radio use and still wont start SmartSDR Cat after removing the whole program twice. I will try removing everything Flex related in the Program Files before reinstalling. Something is causing the Flex VSP driver not to load or run correctly in the main PC.

Another question - what are the USB ports on the back of the 6000's series currently used for and how can I tell if they are working correctly?

Thanks again and loving the performance of the Flex 6300.

Gary

• Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I use a 6300 USB port to automatically bandswitch my solid state PA. So the amp is always good to go without any intervention (except, of course, being powered up).

In this case, the interface between radio & amp provides a convenient "happy light" that tells me everything is working.
  • Gary  w8vi
    Gary w8vi Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Thanks to the process of elimination was able to get DXBase to communicate with the 6300 by un-checking DTR High, CTS and RTS High in the Kenwood TS2000 Radio settings section of DXBase. Baud rate speed does not matter and used Com 4 from SmartSDR CAT.

Thanks again everyone for your assistance.

73, Gary  

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.