Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Anyone else getting daily crashes with SSDR 1.10.8.39?

2»

Comments

• Giulio
    Giulio Member
    edited December 2016
    Network problems now doesn't crasg anymore
  • Leo Hoffmann
    Leo Hoffmann Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    thanks ...will ck issues,

• Leo Hoffmann
    Leo Hoffmann Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Reset router....problem resolved...Thanks 
  • Andy M5ZAP
    Andy M5ZAP Member
    edited December 2016

I had the same experience as Phil M0VSE but running SSDR 10.10.8 on PC. Flex locked with a continuous tone and had to perform a long keypress to reset the flex.

On restarting SSDR the first start was slow after selecting radio and the panadaptor and receiver layout was all changed from previous session.

73 Andy

• Andy M5ZAP
    Andy M5ZAP Member
    edited February 2020
    Hi all.

As reported in my reply to an earlier post in this thread, I had a robust crash free experience with Smart SDR 1.9.13. After upgrading to 1.10.8.39 beta I had regular lockups with unresponsive software and 6500 plus a continuous audible tone. The only recovery route was to press and hold the on off switch until a reset ocurred.

There was no error message displayed just a locked radio and software.
    <
    I have had to downgrade back to 1.9.13 and all again it is now perfectly stable.

I have two questions

1- has FlexRadio acknowledged this fault with the beta software ( there has been replies alluding to communications issues causing problems but not acknowledging a software problem with the beta release when there are no comms issues)

2- if the flex is in this state will it respond to a remote switch off request via the external rear remote connector. Is this hardware or software driven. I need to know this so when I operate remote can I switch off an unresponsive rig via remote or is a long power button press the only way to reset the transceiver which is obviously not possible when operating remote.

Many thanks

Andy M5ZAP
  • NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Alpha testers are looking at a new version that may solve the crashing problem.  It's probably still too soon to tell.  A very large amount of effort has gone into isolating, correcting and testing this problem over the last few weeks..  Perhaps more should have been said about it.
  • Andy M5ZAP
    Andy M5ZAP Member
    edited January 2017
    Hi Dave. Any news on the progress, not after a running commentary but some updates to progress would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Just in case anyone is keeping score, the second released 1.10 beta, 1.10.15.43 is crashing erratically just like the first beta crashed. Occasionally, when I am trying to talk on my 6700, but much more often as it is quietly sitting there just receiving.

(Yes, I reset to factory defaults and unplugged the power. Yes, I am very glad to hear that YOU aren't having any problems whatsoever.)

(Gee... It's fun being a cranky old guy!)

Just sayin'...
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Are you experiencing any other computer issues?  Have you tested memory or checked the hard drive recently?  This smells of a computer issue to me..

Good Luck

David
  • Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Thank you David!

No, my computer is fine.

No, this is not a computer issue, or a switch issue. This is 1.10 beta firmware issue, that doesn't seem to manage its memory well, runs out of it, and goes into an electronic equivalent of a fetal position.

When my 6700 (often) locks up this way, if I do the usual power down, rather than the "quick Powerdown" it takes an inordinate amount of time to shut down - this is not because my computer is having any issues or my switch is having issues, it is because (unfortunately) my 6700 is having issues.

(But then, I've only been "playin' around" with computers for four decades, so what the heck do I know?) 

It's tough sometimes here on the "bleeding edge"...

<grin>
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017

FWIW I've been running the 1.10.15 Beta since it's release and had no crashes on my 6500 until yesterday!  Yesterday was my first attempt to run CW skimmer with DAXIQ turned on.  The radio locked up after about 4 hours.   Maybe just a coincidence but I've had the radio on 24/7 the entire time and had no freezes until then. 

Cal/N3CAL

• dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Good to know, I mistakenly thought you where referring to your computer crashing and not the radio. 

• Frederic HB9CQK
    Frederic HB9CQK Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Unfortunately I have to confirm what Cal and Roy have written above: My 6700 also locks up and can only be recovered by a long power button press. I am using 1.10.15 beta. My impression is that it happens less frequently than with the previous beta though. With 1.10.8 it happened almost daily (running 24/7). Now it happens one or twice a week.

One more thing: DAX seems to quit service and I can only recover by restarting Windows 10. I have this on two computers, one of them brand new.

73, Frédéric, HB9CQK
  • Andy M5ZAP
    Andy M5ZAP Member
    edited February 2020

The 1.10.15 beta release notes state that there is a fixed issue

"Intermittent Radio Crashes Fixed"

and at the end of the document in known issues there is the following

"Some users have experienced radio crashes when using this version of software" 

It would be helpful if Flex acknowledge the issue is still present I always find communication silence difficult to interpret.

As I have stated in other posts a list of known issues for public beta and full releases would be very helpful.

Software problems are to be expected I suppose and acknowleding them would help everybody using the software understand if its a local or SW issue and help them understand there system behaviour.

Andy M5ZAP

• Steve Gw0gei
    Steve Gw0gei Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017

I am on the latest beta version with w7 and for the first time I had the lock up and beep issue when I came back into the shack just now after leaving the radio on all day. I had to long press the radio to get it off and then turned the power off on the psu once it had  powered down.  ssdr locked up when I first tried again so I had to close down ssdr and it worked the second time, but it lost my persistence.

I have left it on for 48 hrs or more before with previous beta and this beta and not had the noise issue. I did have lost connection a few times with the original beta but never the beep and lock up.

I have no pc or network connection issues (shack is on cat 5 cable connection and shows full green bars all of the  time).

I guess this is still a bug issue.  I ran for four hours last night in rsgb 160m cw contest and only had one lost cat connection problem which required a reload of cat. Only thing different I have been doing since last night is that I have had wsjt-x 1.7runnning on 6m monitoring ms on 50280 with a second panafall and slice on 50150 usb monitoring the calling freq on usb.

Hope these issues are getting sorted as its arrl cw contest next weekend.

Steve gw0gei / gw9j 

• Hojon Lee
    Hojon Lee Member
    edited July 2017
    Same Here!
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Alex, I have had a lot of crashes on Win7 Pro; Has nothing to do with the PC O/S.
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Jay-
    The O/S in the radio is not Windows; when the radio crashes it's not Windows, it's the code in the radio.
  • NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    The radio is essentially a Linux box.
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    No lockups or crashes, then again, I power down every night.  Do the people having crashes/lockups keep their radios up all the time 24/7, perhaps?  Just wonder.....
  • Tom Warren
    Tom Warren Member
    edited July 2017
    Pat, I also power down every night (6300). I upgraded to 1.10 almost as soon as it was released, without issue. I experienced 2 crashes with 1.10 a couple of months ago (IIRC) so reverted to 1.9.13 and haven't had any more issues....Win7 Pro. Tom w4tmw 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.