anyone coming to the uk

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • (Edited)
just wondering if any kind sole is coming to the uk after the release of the maestro,as the price in the uk is very expensive,would pre pay for maestro and collect.thanks p.s.the purchase price in the uk is $1550
Photo of Tony Hateley

Tony Hateley

• 308 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3784 Posts
  • 1637 Reply Likes
I will be flying thru Heathrow on Dec 3rd on a connecting Flite back to Paris but I don't plan on clearing UK Customs.
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1565 Posts
  • 771 Reply Likes

Please remember that even a personally imported item brought into the UK for someone lese technically is subject to duty and VAT.   

Those taxes, which stack are 4.7% and 20% respectively.  Then deduct the shipping to the ham in the USA and the post/shipping within the UK, a percentage to do currency conversions...   well the potential savings greatly is dissipated.

Plus if you peeve HM C&E they can really make your life miserable. 

And everyone can get in trouble.

Plus I wouldn't be surprised if your UK suppliers would refer a USA Maestro back FRS for any upgrades/service.

And this all presumes the UK version is not localized like with the country specific TURF files for other versions of SmartSDR.

Can recommend not doing this.

Steve

K9ZW

(The math BTW works out roughly like this - Into Price $1000, plus estimate freight and non-recoverable State tax estimate at 5% for something like $1100 net USA costs.  If fully rated the electronics import is 4.7% and then VAT at 20% is applied to that sum for a in dollars cost of $1382.  Estimated UK shipping with insurance in $60 for a subtotal of $1442 Now add an estimated 2.5% currency conversion fee as well as a 2% for 1/2 of a stable situation 4% spread (you can't buy dollars or pounds straight at Google rate of course) you are at something like $1507 against the $1550 the Google conversion would be of the ML&S published rate.  So you might save 75-80 quid for all the bother, and risk getting another ham in trouble?)

(BTW it would be a "kind soul" ham rather than some comfy shoe leather in "kind sole"....)

(Edited)
Photo of Tony Hateley

Tony Hateley

• 308 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
Plus my flex 6500 came with USA turf files in radio setup it still says country as USA not uk
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9197 Posts
  • 3557 Reply Likes
All you have to do is submit a HelpDesk ticket and request a UK turf file.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3784 Posts
  • 1637 Reply Likes
I meant to say I don't plan to clear UK Customs or Immigration to actually land in the UK proper.

@Steve. i am sure Tony meant the proverbial,New Jersey Fell Off the Back of a Truck Delivery System.
Photo of Tony Hateley

Tony Hateley

• 308 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
He who is without sin cast the first stone
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1267 Posts
  • 484 Reply Likes
If this were the case we would eliminate the court system
Photo of Tony Hateley

Tony Hateley

• 308 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
Please delete this post,and I will promise never to visit this forum again After all the snide remarks
(Edited)
Photo of Jeffrey Kerber, N3VE

Jeffrey Kerber, N3VE

• 131 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes

I don't blame you for asking, just seems from the posts that it 'may' not save you money.  Don't quit the group.

Jeff N3VE

Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1565 Posts
  • 771 Reply Likes
@Tony  I don't think anyone intends to be snide with you at all.  I know I am going out of my way to not do so.  

It is far from snide to point out you've asked for someone to become a smuggler for you, to violate the FRS sales agreements for your country, and that you can't work out the math.  

Rather you should be thanking the community for not letting your greed become the downfall of a well intentioned ham encouraged to break the UK laws.

Keep it honest and ethical, and I suspect nobody will be snide with you!

Steve
K9ZW