Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Anybody recognize this interference

Bill-W9OL
Bill-W9OL Member
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Can anybody recognize what causes this type of interference. I do NOT hear it, but it's on most bands, across the bands. I live in an urban area, lots of everything electrical.

Answers

• Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Bill, The most likely source of this interference signature is some type of switching power device.. That said, almost ALL electronic devices these days are switchers. Most are filtered well enough to not be a problem, but a lot have no filter at all. Could be a wall wart, a battery charger, a grow lamp(marijuana), LED lamp, etc. Need to start by shutting down circuits in your house... Good LUCK! AL, K0VM
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I had an LCD TV that made that pattern, as well as a wall-wart switching supply that I moved to a different circuit.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    I do not know if this will prevent your exact problem, but I use an AC Line conditioner (Tripplite LC1200 - http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtSeriesID=838&txtModelID=208) that connects to my shack specific devices such as the PC, powered speakers and Astron PS. Note this is not a UPS, but a line conditioner.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Good luck, Bill. It can be a real exercise tracking down the RF noises out there. Grounding, filtering, and replacement of power supplies all help. Unfortunately, at some point you reach the end of what you can do. I am picking up a plasma TV (I believe) from a house a block and a half away. It's only S2, but can really ruin the day on 160 meter JT65!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.