Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Anybody using Broadcast Breakaway Live for SSB tx audio?

Options
Barry N1EU
Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
edited March 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows
There were a few threads a while back (2 yrs ago) about using software audio processing and DAX for ssb tx audio.  There was also a link to an article that no longer exists.

Is anybody out there successfully using Broadcast Breakaway Live for their ssb tx audio on a Flex 6K?  If so, can you please post your configuration (BBL, ASIO4ALL, SSDR, etc) as well as info on your virtual/physical audio connection to the Flex 6K?

Thanks & 73,
Barry N1EU

Answers

• K1VL
    K1VL Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Barry, I've used both Breakaway and Stereo Tool (my favorite) on a 5000a with great results using VAC. I am about to start testing Stereo Tool this week on my 6500. Generally the audio routing methods should be almost identical between the two audio processing apps. I let you know what I find. 
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I found that there was about 1/4sec latency with Breakaway using KS drivers.  I'm trying to sort out VoiceMeeter Banana so I can retry Breakway with ASIO drivers to see if that eliminates the latency.  I didn't have much luck getting it working with ASIO4ALL.

If latency is not an issue for you (i.e., you don't monitor your tx audio in headphones as you speak) then it's easy to do with KS drivers.

I've also played a fair bit with Stereo Tool in the past.

It's great to hear about other Flex 6K owners playing with virtual audio!

Barry N1EU
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'm happy to say I have Stereo Tool running successfully with my Flex 6500. I'm using a PreSonus AudioBox 22VSL via ASIO and the latency is so low that I can easily talk and monitor myself in headphones at the same time on the Flex 6500. Amazing! BTW, I'm using a physical cable from the PreSonus to the mic input of the 6500.

For my Stereo Tool buffer size setting under Sound cards-Latency, I am using 0.005 sec and not experiencing any dropouts!

I just need to get some .sts files that work for me now. If anybody is interested in working together, please drop me a line. I'd like to come up with some .sts files that sound good at 3KHz-4KHz ssb tx bandwidth, with smooth natural tonal balance (not too boomy bass and not too bright treble). I'm using a Rode Procaster microphone.

73, Barry N1EU
  • K1VL
    K1VL Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Hans, the developer of Stereo Tool, has put a lot of effort into the product to achieve both low latency and low CPU utilization while allowing for great audio processing. Glad to see that it's working for you. Can't wait to try it myself.

• Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Oops, I might have spoken too fast Carmine.  Once I started adding some multiband processing, latency started creeping in.  There ain't no free lunch I'm afraid.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.