Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Any chance that the SmartSDR client will be available for the Mac OS?

2»

Answers

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    At the least I would like one that is wine-able. I hate Windows but still hang on to it for my ham stuff. 
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Hi Ria,
    Wouldn't call it a "shadow." Have worked DX and contests, all different modes, even satellites with it. True, not every feature of SSDR is there at the moment, especially more than 2 panadapters. I've got to say, though, that DPSDR stacks up very nicely with PSDR. Especially considering where it is in the development cycle, it's a pretty good deal. 
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I can't even figure out how to use CWX in it (I supposed it's there but probably buried), and the "tune" feature is buried in the preferences. It's better than nothing, but... 

It also imposes an extra profile on you. A true client would be able to work with your other profiles, seamlessly. 
  • Don Agro
    Don Agro Member
    edited January 2017
    Ria, I constantly respond to the constructive criticism I receive from what now has grown to hundreds of dogparkSDR registered users. Naturally they are not as whole heartedly negative as you seem to be, but then again they have a vested interest in the success of a Mac client. CWX is "buried" under the File Menu - with "Memories" and dogparkSDR does work seamlessly with all flex profiles. Regards VE3VRW.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I've said before - dpSDR Is a good effort but I don't like the idea that we should somehow not ask Flex for a native Mac client because dpsdr exists. As a 6700 owner, 2 slices is very much underutilizing the capability of the radio. (I use 4-6 slices nearly all the time). It's not a criticism of you or your software (I assume you are the author) but the reality is that there is a lot that is in SmartSDR that isn't in dpSDR.

Would it be sufficient for some people? Definitely. Would it be a replacement for SmartSDR? It isn't. And that's the criticism, that some are touting it as such but it isn't. Hence the "mere shadow" comment.

And that's what this thread is about - SmartSDR for MacOS, not a third party client which may operate the radio.

Does it stack up to PSDR? It seems so but I didn't buy a 6700 to use only two slices.

It's also the same reason I don't own (after having tried) a maestro. Knobs are nice but 2 slices is insufficient for most of my use which is monitoring several bands and segments all at once.

I do have a question. Since you say it works with all profiles, is there a way to not have it create the dogparkSDR profile and not default to it? I've been cutting down the number of profiles I have. Is there a reason it's needed?
  • Don Agro
    Don Agro Member
    edited January 2017
    Yes Ria, I am the author and I wholeheartedly support your right to your opinion, I just seem to be seeing it repeated every time the subject comes up and I can't help but feel that you have rejected dogparkSDR out of hand without giving it much of a workout - also your right - but misleading to those who might want to see dogparkSDR grow and improve, and oh so discouraging to the team of developers working on it day and night! Oh wait, there is no team. Just me.

No, there is no way to get rid of the dogparkSDR default profile. It was originally added to not step on the toes of other clients. We could easily get rid of it in a future release but no one has ever been bothered by it before.

73 de VE3VRW
  • Don Agro
    Don Agro Member
    edited January 2017
    BTW dogparkSDR will load whatever global profile you last used on your Mac. It make sure there is a dogparkSDR default profile - but it doesn't force you to use it.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Thanks. Also, any plan to support the full capabilities of the Radio with 8 slices?
  • Don Agro
    Don Agro Member
    edited January 2017
    Of course. We just added transverter support and the second panadapter this week, full parity is our goal - but like I said - it's just me.
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I would encourage anyone who has a Mac to try Don's excellent DogparkSDR software.  As with SSDR, DogparkSDR just keeps getting better and better.  I am amazed at how quickly updates come out, especially since it's basically a one man show doing the development.  I am a fairly new Mac user and Don's tech support is second to none.  Any questions I have gets answered very quickly.  I recently took a trip to Biloxi and while the wife was downstairs gambling, I was in the hotel room working DX via VPN and DogparkSDR with my MacBook Pro.  It's a very nice program so check it out if you have a Mac.  You can try it for free.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.