Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Any way I can help a developer troubleshoot the new 1.4 "SmartSDR" audio driver?

Roy Laufer
Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
edited May 2017 in SmartSDR for Windows
Hello,

I use two audio applications from the same company - Abyssmedia MCRS System (Multi Channel Recording Software) as well as their i-Sound for Windows 7. When DAX first came out it broke MCRS terribly, but I was able to get the programmer to put together a patch and now it works fine.

When SSDR 1.4 came out I notice that both of these programs could not find the new "SmartSDR" sound device. I wrote again to the programmer, but since this new sound driver will only be "mounted" with a connection to local Flex Radio he cannot reproduce the new driver in any of his machines!

His most recent response was:

"Very strange that SmartSDR devices are invisible for the two programs. MCRS use DirectSound API, i-Sound use WASAPI (directsound replacement)."

Then he suggested that I "talk to FRS about this problem."

Is there any known method for someone without a radio to get any idea why their software does not appear to be interrogating and detecting the new "SmartSDR" virtual sound driver?

Thanks!

Roy, AC2GS

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2017
    DAX can use either the DirectSound or MME audio API. There was no change in the virtual sound device driver between versions 1.3.8 and 14.0
  • Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Thanks for the speedy reply, but the DAX sound drivers are working fine. It's the new "SmartSDR" remote sound driver that seems not to show up on any of their software applications.

Roy, AC2GS
  • Bob N7ZO
    Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    It seems the new "remote" audio channel is not a new sound device.  It is just the SSDR application sending sound to the existing default playback device.  In order to implement something usable for i-Sound and other recorders, Flex would need to implement a new sound device record/playback pair in DAX and also send the audio to that.

The work-around for now is to choose "speakers" or "stereo mix" as the input for i-Sound.  This has the disadvantage of also recording all the other computer sounds too.

Bob, N7ZO

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.