Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Any software method to disable Xmit?

Roy Laufer
Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I realize there is a hardware option of using a Tx Inhibit line, but can anyone tell me of any software methods to lock off the transmit capability when I am trying to set up a third party piece of software without emitting any RF by accident.

Yes, I have considered lowering the RF output to 0 as well as selecting my dummy load as the antenna output, but errant software can fool with those controls while it is trying to do its programmed function.

Any thoughts? 

More than one piece of software that can do this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Answers

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Deselect TX in the slice flag. Red highlight will disappear, and no transmission will take place. Or, in rig setup, set maximum output to zero for a global disable. Will that fill the bill?
  • Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Not really.

My problem is that a lot of well meaning third party software will re-tweak slices into activity and reset preset power settings in a blink of an eye.

I'm looking for something that is either "higher" up the priority command set, or can act as a watchdog to shut it down if it senses that it has been put into activation mode.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    The only absolutely foolproof way I know to prevent accidental transmission is to connect dummy loads to all transmit-capable antenna connectors - i.e. ANT1 & ANT2 for the 6500/6700.  I don't care if it transmits on the XVTR port.  In any case, I have a small 50 ohm load on that connector, too.

As you mentioned, using the hardware TX inhibit port only works if it is enabled in SSDR setup, so it isn't 100% goof proof either.

Not much help, I know, but it would work...

Ken - NM9P
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    In Radio Setup, there is a button to inhibit all TX.  If that doesn't work, then attach your antenna or sensitive equipment to RX A / RX B on a 6500/6700 so it will never eat any RF.  That is what I do with my Pixel Loop antenna.
  • Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I wasn't worried about burning up my Pixel Pro, since it its connected to RX_A and won't get any RF on that connection.

The two best options are a "TX Inhibit" setting in Radio Setup->Transmit, as well as the Max Power setting on the same window.

I guess I was looking for a big button, labeled "DON'T PANIC" that turned a color when it enabled these features when a person is tinkering with third party software that take general command of the radio...

You know, belt, suspenders, and staple gun!
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Flex may be able to issue you a TURF file that neuters the TX of the radio.  I'm not saying they WOULD, but you could ask.   I have one for my MARS license that unlocks the radio entirely, but I re-apply the default TURF during times that others use my radio for contests and Field Day.
  • N9VC
    N9VC Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Hi,

I agree with K6OZY.
    In the radio setup, under the transmit tab. if you enable
    TX inhibit, it greys out the tune, mox, and other transmit
    related buttons. The footswitch also became disabled. Is
    this what you desire? You might have to check when you
    re-start Smart sdr just to be on the safe side.

73, Jim N9VC

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    That type of TURF is not available.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.