Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Any reason why theirs no START/STOP with SSDR ?

N8AUM
N8AUM Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
With most programs there is a START & STOP. Why not with SSDR ?

Comments

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Why would such a feature be useful? Seems to me like the radio should be running when SmartSDR is open anyway and start/stop is just an extra unnecessary step.
  • Brian Morgan VK7RR
    Brian Morgan VK7RR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I agree with Ria (then again I generally do agree with her on most things). I can't think of any purpose in having a stop start button. If you were to stop SSDR you would almost necessarily disconnect the radio from the software and have to reload. It is not as if you would be pausing it, but even if that is what you have in mind, what purpose do you want it to serve?
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I couldn't find a Start/Stop button on the software I've run this morning - whether browser, word-processor, spreadsheet, accounting, email.... only the Sonos app had a start/stop for the speakers in a given room - but that didn't start/stop the whole program, just a controlled device.

Remembering that the SmartSDR for Windows/iOS are really just the GUI to the more important internal radio SmartSDR it does beg the question "what does the software in the radio actually do when not controlled by a GUI?"

It is interesting how consumer software has evolved from explicit start/stop and explicit save to the seamless with autosave over the years.  

Curious what at Start/Stop feature might accomplish?  

Steve
    K9ZW
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Ditto
  • Andy W3LI
    Andy W3LI Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I also would like to be able to switch from SSDR back to the basic 6400M or back again. For simplicity the 6400M does everything I need with out SSDR. The only reason I use the SSDR is because it is required when using the Flex control which then requires me to use a mouse and keyboard to navigate on the monitor.
    KISS is better for me. Just my thought.

Andy...W3LI

• Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    No start stop on my Ft-101 either.
  • N8AUM
    N8AUM Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I also have the 5000 which uses Powersdr and guess I am just got use to having start/stop
  • James Whiteway
    edited May 2019
    How is using SSDR different from using PowerSDR? Both have to be started from an icon on your Windows desktop. With the M model radios and v3.o19, you can easily switch between the front panel of the M model and SSDR on your pc. James WD5GWY
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Automation????   Flex is all about Automation.  PSDR had a start button on the top of the screen, so old school.
  • James Whiteway
    edited May 2019
    I had forgot about that!
  • Scott Russell - N1SER
    Scott Russell - N1SER Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Good question but I don’t have an answer. I understand though since most every other software that runs an SDR has this feature. I don’t think SSDR is a mature product and Flex is trying to make SSDR so different from others that it’s crippled in many ways.
  • Andy W3LI
    Andy W3LI Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Since I have no reason to go to Ver 3.019 the easy switch mentioned above does not help me.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    To make this sort of switch you have to disconnect the GUI you are using then start the new GUI.

I think you can force this a couple ways with v2 and more with v3 by disconnecting the M-panel or shutting the M-panel down.

Presently it doesn't look possible to "pause" an active GUI passing the focus to another GUI.  

I'll play with my 6600M to see what is the best way to get this done.

Steve
    K9ZW
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    With most programs there is a START & STOP. Why not with SSDR ?

Click the SSDR icon to Start, and File->Exit to Stop.  What's not to like?

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Powersdr is a different time when they fed sound card audio into the pc
  • N8AUM
    N8AUM Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I found the waterfall history useful, SSDR lets you go back and view hours of history while its running which is also time stamped. All is gone once you stop and restart. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.