Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Any progress report of v 1.4?

2»

Answers

• John n0snx
    John n0snx Member
    edited April 2015
    I'm with you Mike.... No way can they please everyone....  They are stuck in the danged if they do and danged if they don't perpetual circle.    FRS has repeatedly stated it will be released when its done .....   it is as simple as... If it isn't released it's not done... all the complaining in the world is not going to speed things up.... always asking for updates about how its going and getting the same educated reply "we are working on it" time after time... It's programing and it takes time to make changes and then fix what the new changes caused somewhere else... It will be released when it's done ...period.

• Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I guess what it really comes down to is their confidence in meeting a schedule. In the past they had done pretty well, grunting out an update roughly every three months. 1.4 seems to have upset the apple cart and is now going on seven months since the release of 1.3. It's obvious that 1.4 turned out to be much more than they had thought. Hopefully it is nearing completion. Once it is released, it would be nice to get back to a regular schedule of releases. Perhaps they need to be a little less aggressive in what they try to accomplish in each release.

I think the community will be much more harmonious with regular updates instead of regular excuses why the big update is late.

Jon...kf2e
  • John n0snx
    John n0snx Member
    edited April 2015
    Are you kidding me....Less aggressive!!!!   Excuses!!!!  You are joking right... surely you are...
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    It is not just like that Jon. The remote they have added has been very complicated, and much of the code had to be re worked, this is the most complicated update so far. Remember they are also learning as they move foreword, finding out new things. They are in uncharted waters. If they had never ever mentioned when they had hoped to finish 1.4 then they would have never been late, would they?
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    So this is what happens when you let the the users run the company, The Company fails, right along with the users ideas. Maybe letting the smart people run things the smart way can produce smarter SmartSDR. I'd rather download that, than TypicalSDR
    or EarlySDR or DeadlineSDR or BrokenSDR.image

73, Jay - NO5J
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Bill, it's just like that. Everyone knows remote was demanding and that it created other issues. Yes, it's uncharted waters...but all of the previous uncharted updates managed to get out on a schedule. Steve and Gerald have already said that remote LAN turned into a way bigger project that it was planned to be.

If they had never said anything, people would be speculating the long delay meant Flex was going under. Instead we are all just waiting...mostly patiently.

I've read all of the updates and am fine that 1.4 comes when it is ready. I just hate to see us never given a roadmap again because 1.4 was a bear.

Jon...kf2e
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Please Jay, let's not equate loyal users wanting to have an idea what the plans are with the lunatics running the asylum.

Jon...kf2e
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Lunatics?, What Lunatics? We don't need no stinkin Lunatics!. The loyal users, with reading abilities, got their answer with ...

Official Response

v1.4 is going well.  We made a lot of internal changes to improve performance and to support LAN remote.  There is always fallout from making these level of changes and so we've been working to make sure everything works well before a release.  We issued another Alpha on Friday and it is looking good with only a few remaining issues.  Sorry I can't give you a date -- all I can say is "soon."

But others are stuck on WHEN?.

While they wait, maybe the answer will have time to sink in.

Why continue to beat the deceased horsey? It's been asked and answered numerous times since October. The question's haven't changed, to reflect the current valid "Official" answer of SOON.

73, Jay - NO5J

• Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Jay, you should really read the whole thread and understand what is being discussed.

Everyone understands where we are with 1.4.

We are just hoping that the current difficulties doesn't mean we will never have a roadmap with some sort of schedule for the future. I think that is what Guy was saying and I know it is what I meant.

• Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    I think Flex Radio's tactics are sound.  If you don't publish a schedule, you can't be **** castigated for not meeting it.
  • rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Well I just got notified that I'm due for my PEN update on the 6700, which means we are guaranteed v1.4 will be released while my radio is in Texas for repairs over the next few weeks. ;-) (it's a joke people). Me and Murphys law are like this --> <--.
  • WA6FXT Mike
    WA6FXT Mike Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Steve,
    Maybe next time somebody says "Let's run it on Linux", you'll remember the term RTOS. (HIHI)

Thanks, for the details. Some of us love to hear how things are going, even if it isn't smoothly.

Mike
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Jon 
    I guess you missed the 251 posts and replies, a month ago in ...
    https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/smartsdr-v1-4-update-posted
    and Gerald's reply with 

1. We are the only company in ham radio with a public software road map.  We do this as a courtesy to you.  I expect that we will continue to communicate our directional road map from time to time but without specific dates. 
    in ...
    https://getsatisfaction.com/flexradio/topics/ok-i-have-seen-the-alpha-release-of-1-4j

3 weeks ago.

For me that signaled that, a directional road map without specific dates, has been suggested as part of the future method of operation for flexradio, by Gerald K5SDR. he's the boss, so he can change his mind, which is probably less likely, the longer the whining continues. 

Users have a right to know what is going on at the offices of Flexradio Systems,
    The "FlexInsider" was and is a great way to deliver the news, we get news when there is news to give.   

The current news, on the status of the next release was posted by Steve, N5AC, yesterday, long before I posted anything to this discussion. I quoted that in my last post. This thread of posts has been around for 3 months. 

Takeshi reopened it 2 days ago asking why we haven't received a new FlexInsider, got his reply 2 days ago, seemed happy with the reply 2 days ago, and then you tail ended into, what might have been a completed conversation. Since then, the amount of replies have doubled. you've whinged a bit about 7 mo's of delay, and your suspicions "people would be speculating the long delay meant Flex was going under", and your concern that you just hate to see us never given a roadmap again because 1.4 was a bear. 

(there ought to be a way to <FUD>highlight/blockquote</FUD>)

You failed to see that image in my first comment in the thread, meant to convey my happiness, or possibly just to indicate humor "for Guy thats humour I suppose"

Was this a shout or a scream?
    Everyone understands where we are with 1.4.
    It never the less was quite BOLD of you. imageimageimageimage

That's my book report on the @18 posts in this thread. hopefully I've fulfilled your request to really read the whole thread and understand what is being discussed.

I've got a request for you too Jon, really read and understand the 251 posts you must have missed from the first link in this post, then really read and understand all 18  posts in the second link. You may have missed that one too, The second link started soon after, the first one was locked. Can you detect a change of attitude in the second? Without understanding both, are you that positive you truly understand what everyone knows and understands? If you had read and understood both threads you might not have felt any need to tail end into this one. I regret, I didn't notify you when I had read and understood the entire thread, prior to you being forced to suggest that I should. Also, pretty BOLD of you to assume you needed too. imageimageimage (thats 3 Clowns) also meant to suggest humor(humour)

It does ye little good to argue with clowns, they enjoy argument above all other forms of expression, and they will grin at ye throughout. And never climb ye into the backseat of they're car, lest ye escape out the other side, also resembling a clown.

73, Jay - NO5J

• Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I agree.  I appreciate the huge undertaking and effort the folks at Flex have put into this project.  I'm as impatient as the next guy, but I am sincerely hoping the grumbling isn't going to put a halt to future roadmap notices.  Shoot, so they didn't meet their projected goal on time.  At least we know what the goal is, what obstacles they are up against and approximately where they are in the development process.  That in itself has been a real privilege. I love seeing the roadmap.  Shoot, most of us probably have our own roadmaps and I know I don't meet all of my goals on time!  I still have a roadmap though!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.