Any plans to implement ThumbDV for DMR capability?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Change seems to be in the air...

You can buy a ThumbDV at the Flex store now, which would only be of any use with SSDR 1.50, so I assume that its release is "imminent".

The primary purpose is primarily to encode/decode D-Star these days. Any plans to use the Ambe chip, it contains, to implement DMR/Mototrbo capability in the Flex signature series?

I have both types of radios already if you need a beta tester...
Photo of Roy Laufer

Roy Laufer

• 451 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Steve - N5AC

Steve - N5AC, VP Engineering / CTO

• 1057 Posts
  • 1099 Reply Likes
Official Response
The codec is part of the equation. The second part is the on-air modem and any other code to support the mode. With D-STAR this required an external app to handle callsign data for example.

We are making the modules open source so that others that are so inclined can expand on what we've done. We may also do more just depending on popularity, demand, etc.
Photo of Roy Laufer

Roy Laufer

• 451 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
So, anyone else out there wish to show interest in a DMR module too?

DMR would appear to be getting very popular recently, in light of the low priced Chinese HTs with this capability appearing in the market??

Perhaps we could cajole FRS into implementing the first all mode Digital Voice transceiver while all of the others remain little more than vaporware???????
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P

• 4239 Posts
  • 1352 Reply Likes
Once more people get comfortable with writing waveform and other utilities that implement the API and FlexLib, this stuff is going to take off big-time!

I wish I was a better programmer.....
Photo of James - K4JK

James - K4JK

• 14 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
DMR is TDMA and requires precise T/R timing in order to function correctly, so it wouldn't be a very simple proposition. Meaning, IMO it's doubtful that any old transverter would work well enough in this application to make it worth the effort.

I'd rather Flex spend time continuing to add HF - related functionality.
Photo of Roy Laufer

Roy Laufer

• 451 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
I just emailed the smart guys at Downeast Microwave if their line of transverters could handle the 30 msec packet bursts of RF that TDMA required.

It will be interesting what they will have to say (unless it's just "Dunno... never tried...").

An Amateur can dream, right!?

Roy, AC2GS
Photo of Bob G   W1GLV

Bob G W1GLV

• 830 Posts
  • 148 Reply Likes
I don't know how much you know about DMR. I've heard they're a lot pitfalls, I could be wrong.
(Edited)