Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Any one know if the 1/8 jack mic input on the 6400 is hi or low impedance I’m hooking a w2ihy box

Joseph Coffaro
Joseph Coffaro Member ✭✭

Answers

• K0FLY
    K0FLY Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Page 13 of the 6400/6600 Hardware Manual indicates 600 ohms nominal then indicates 200 to 10K ohms range.  I have used both a 600 ohm mics as well as an old HI=Z Astatic dynamic mic with no problems. 
    ------------------------------Here is a snip from the manual.-----------------------------

Microphone Impedance    600 Ohms Nominal, 200-10k Ohm

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Manual is downloadable from the Flex web site.

GayLe  K0FLY

• Joseph Coffaro
    Joseph Coffaro Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Thank u sir hopefully my re320 will sound good looks like every one is using pr781s
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

https://www.flexradio.com/downloads/flex-6400-and-flex-6600-hardware-reference-manual-pdf/

per the h/w manual fro 6400

7.20 MICROPHONE JACK

The MIC connector accepts a 1/8-inch (3.5mm) stereo (TRS) plug and provides a pseudo-balanced microphone input. Pseudo-balanced means that the mic (+) and mic (-) lines are balanced all the way to the input of the A/D converter, where the mic (-) line is DC grounded. The connector may be used with dynamic or electret microphone elements. A software enabled 3V bias voltage through a 2.1k Ohm source impedance may be applied to the Mic (+) line for electret microphones.

Note: The PTT signal is not accepted by this connector.

Paul K3SF

• Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I use an RE320 with my Flex 6500. It is great mic for voice. I am always getting compliments on my audio.

• Joseph Coffaro
    Joseph Coffaro Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Thanks u sir
  • Joseph Coffaro
    Joseph Coffaro Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Do u use a microphone preamp
  • Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    No, the mic runs directly into the radio. The mic input has plenty of sensitivity for almost any dynamic mic.
  • Brian Denley  KB1VBF
    Brian Denley KB1VBF Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I use the MXL CR77.  Looks exactly like the Heil PR77.  Very nice dynamic mic.
  • Brian Denley  KB1VBF
    Brian Denley KB1VBF Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Your RE320 will work very well.  Just make sure to cut the low frequencies with the TX equalizer.
  • Joseph Coffaro
    Joseph Coffaro Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    i know ur voice is different then my u share ur settings with me?
  • John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    The transmit voice can be recorded on the Flex and then played back. When adjusting the TX equalizer, cut unwanted frequencies (mostly low frequencies) before trying to boost. What is not there can't be created with boost. After much trial and error, I ended with just a flat EQ curve and adjusting the TX bandwidth to cut below 250 Hz and top end cut above 3000hz or so. Excessive low transmit audio frequencies consume transmit power without adding much intelligibility.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.