Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Any noise filtering work on precipitation static?

Dick B
Dick B Member ✭✭
A friend lives where it rains a lot and has a 10 element yagi at 80'.  He gets a lot of rain static and is wondering if any of the Flex filters work on precipitation static.  I have a 6300 but live in Central Texas and rarely if ever have that problem, so asking the group and Flex experts.  

Answers

• [Deleted User]
    edited August 2016
    Hi ****

I seriously doubt that the radio that can recover the signal on its own with the RF induced rain static as the signal is already destroyed.  Is his antenna vertical by any chance?   Different antennas handle rain static much better than others.  

This is a great article.  http://www.dxmaps.com/discuss/rainstatic.html

Mike va3mw

• Dick B
    Dick B Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    It's a 10 element yagi ... so yes, horizontal not vertical.  ; )

• [Deleted User]
    edited August 2016
    Do you know what make and what type of feed point.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I have a horizontally polarized 7 element logperiodic. I live in an area that gets 6 months of tropical storms and rain.

My 6700 has lot of trouble dealing with Rain Static, in my experience, at my qth, with my equipment.
  • Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    The WBN does an excellent job of removing it for me.
  • Philip KA4KOE
    Philip KA4KOE Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Can't one use an inductor to ground to dissipate the static?
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I improved the grounding of the tower and that improved things. But I was referring to the Flex dealing with that static. On the other hand WNB works wonders with other noise sources around me so pretty happy with the overall noise mitigation capabilities of the Flex.... it just doesn't excel at rain static in my current QTH with my equipment.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    I highly recommend the ICE design of lightning arrestors that have a constant DC drain circuit.  I don't get much rain, snow or wind static, but I know these help.
    https://www.arraysolutions.com/surge-and-rf-protection/as-303u
  • James Del Principe
    James Del Principe Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    W8JI mentions that using insulated wire does not help. I suggest this is because a charged particle does not need to strike the wire to impart static. It only needs to pass by closely. It is, after all a charge passing a wire which will induce a voltage.      73, Jim     KD1I
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Think, really big Tarp! image
    Apologies, to all!

SDRgadgets

73, Jay - NO5J

• Wayne VK4ACN
    Wayne VK4ACN Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I dont know if it helps your problem but I just bought the Bhi noise filter  https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/bhd-neim1031mkii 
    It is absolutely amazing at getting rid of noise.  Im using the flex nb to get rid of electrical noise (solar inverter I think), but the bhi gets rid of lots of crud the flex doesnt.  There are other bhi modules, I was unsure if it was worth the expense, but I impressed, definately worth it.  Just takes a bit of getting used to the voice audio after the dsp, but no distortion on audio at all
    Cheers
    Wayne
    (not a plug for BHI or Dxengineering, just my thoughts)
  • James Del Principe
    edited August 2016
    No apologies needed. After today, I needed some humor!       73, Jim
  • James Del Principe
    edited August 2016
    Wayne, if it takes some getting used to the voice, isn't that an indication of distortion? ALL processing introduces some level of distortion.
    You wrote: "Just takes a bit of getting used to the voice audio after the dsp, but no distortion on audio at all ". 
    73, Jim
  • Wayne VK4ACN
    Wayne VK4ACN Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Jim, getting used to the voice, I mean with a lot of dsp, sounds a bit like talking into a tunnel.  So I turn the filter level knob back a notch. It isnt Essb.  There prob is distortion, but not enough for my old ears to notice. 
    Wayne
  • Steve G1XOW
    Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    It rained here all night, typically S7 on 40m.

The WNB has no effect as it works on "correlated noise" which rain certainly is not, being entirely random.

NB didn't do much either. However, NR at the upper end of the slider was at least helpful in cleaning up some of the mush.
  • Dick B
    Dick B Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Thanks all for the responses!  We have reread W8JI's page http://www.w8ji.com/pecipitation_static.htm and this  http://lists.contesting.com/pipermail/towertalk/2015-April/145959.html  and are wondering if the SteppIR antennas having each element as a closed loop are any quieter.  We will try a SteppIR forum.  It seems the 80' height is the major culprit.  
  • Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    An example of how WNB does not work with precipitation static (sarcasm)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whLREuE15SA

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Nice! The WNB does wonders for me too, one of my favorite things on the Flex.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.