Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Any experience with Eero WiFi for Maestro ?

k3Tim
k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
edited May 2020 in Maestro
Greetings

Leo Laporte (The Tech Guy radio host) did a brief segment on mesh routers, the Eero in particular. It seems an interesting concept. From reading about them, one can have 2, 3, ... n, n+1 of them in a home operating to provide good coverage in a wide area. IF (if)  wired ethernet is available the node will use the wire for the "backhaul" and if NOT available use wireless. These are (according to Leo's own tests) better than range extenders.

Does anyone have any experience using these with Maestro?

_..--
 TiM

Answers

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I am curious to know as well. Following the thread.
  • K0UNX
    K0UNX Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    I installed an EERO Mesh of 4 nodes last week, but haven’t tried to use it yet with the Maestro.  I’m on a business trip and won’t be home until next weekend to try it out.  I had previously tried with several different AP’s and the only one that would work was the Apple.  That was “fairly good” but occasionally I’d lose a sylable or two of voice.  So I’ll give the EERO a try when I get home this weekend.Jim
    K0UNX
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Hey Jim

Thanks for the response. Will await for you to test it out before moving forward.

Take Care,

Tim

• Kevin Va3KGS
    Kevin Va3KGS Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017

Morning Tim

A few years ago I had set-up 3 Linksys WRT54 Wifi modems throughout the house and they worked great for me on the Mesh platform.  I then moved onto Ubiquity products, and installed the router c/w TP-Links antenna onto the tower for a greater area coverage (Down the Street).  I have since taken this equipment down because of a pending move, so unable to test out my Maestro at this time.  All of my other Wifi devices worked with this set-up.

To read more on this Mesh stuff, go to both of these sites for more tech info.

http://www.broadband-hamnet.org/

http://www.aredn.org/

Good luck

• k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Hi Kevin Thanks for the links... Regards, Tim
  • K0UNX
    K0UNX Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Well, I stopped by my house for an hour between shifts, and tried the EERO mesh.  Nada.  I can see the FLAG on the display, and I can change frequency, but no waterfall, panadapter, or audio.  So I get a connection, but not much else.  Same with all the other AP's that Ive tried.  The ONLY one that's working fully is the Apple Airport Extreme.
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Hi Jim Thanks for the report albeit not the best of news. For now, I am using an old WiFi @ 2.4 GHz dedicated only to SDR. It's working for now.. Best Regards, Tim / k3Tim
  • John - AF3K
    John - AF3K Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Tim, Your question reminds me to check Maestro performance using my Sonos system. I wonder if anyone else has tried that? Although Sonos is primarily used to wirelessly distribute audio to standard HiFi speakers throughout a home, it also wirelessly distributes Ethernet to CAT5 jacks on each Sonos box. Conceptually, Sonos is somewhat similar to the Eero idea in that the Sonos boxes automatically network with each other wirelessly to extend LAN coverage. To extend Ethernet I've found them to be very robust - far superior to things like WiFi extenders and great at getting a streaming video to a TV. I'll give it a try this weekend. 73, John AF3K
  • AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017

Well the video lost me at multiple hops.

It may or not be good for UDP flexradio packets.

Basically looks to me AP without lan cables in between.

Auto configure setup looks good.

Less hops is better unless we are talking something else.? :)~

• K0UNX
    K0UNX Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Just adding here that the EERO MESH can be either wired or wireless.  You only NEED one to be connected to your wired network, but I have all four nodes wired.  Each little white box has TWO lan ports, so you could plug in a cable to your switch OR to a PC or BOTH.  It doesn't care.  There's a lot of flexibility.  I'm ****-U-ME-ing that if you go wireless, there'll be latency and a loss of throughput.  I don't know for sure how having each one WIRED might affect throughput or latency.  Time will tell.

• AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

Great news. Keep us posted which way you configure, wired+mesh or wireless+mesh

and your findings.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.